Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Apple and Goldman Sachs to partner on new credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple and Goldman Sachs to partner on new credit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:41 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by vanillabean
My wife and I have the Citi Anywhere card, which can also be used as a Costco membership card, and we never use it, even though it is our only contactless card. It was handed down from Amex, whereas I like Apple and the titanium card is the thinnest and lightest status symbol ever, so got to have it.
You talking about Citi Costco Anywhere card? Not sure if there is a real City Anywhere card....
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
Only some people use iPhone (20% US market share?). A lot people do not have the habit of using device to pay....
US Smartphone Market Share is about 50% for iPhone
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Market Share tells us only the proportion of sales in a particular quarter, not the percentage the population that owns an iPhone. It appears that about a third of mobile phone users have an iPhone.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:44 am
Suspended

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...united-states/

54% Android, 44% iPhone. Believe it or not.

iPhone trailing Android phones. As I expected.

iPhone global market share is even much lower.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
You can pick up the card. But will you actually use it with only 2%?
Some people have the Chase FU which is 1.5%, right?

The promo material says the 1%/2%/3% cash back is credited daily to your account as Apple Cash, that might have appeal to some people.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:04 am
mia

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Some people have the Chase FU which is 1.5%, right?....
Indeed, but people on Flyertalk have Freedom Unlimited not because the points can be redeemed for cash, but because they can be transferred to airline miles or hotel points.

A free 2.0% cash back card with no foreign transaction fees isn't a bad product, but it wouldn't make sense to use it without Apple Pay because 1% is uncompetitive.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mia
Market Share tells us only the proportion of sales in a particular quarter, not the percentage the population that owns an iPhone. It appears that about a third of mobile phone users have an iPhone.
Market share can be all sorts of things depending on how its tallied, one reason why a single number is meaningless.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:42 am
mia

Apparently numberless physical cards is the next card fashion:

...could encourage other banks to also ditch the static number in favor of more secure limited-use numbers, said Craig Vosburg, president of North America for Mastercard.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...like-apple-did
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Apparently numberless physical cards is the next card fashion
Honestly, if we can't have 100% customer-facing (or at least customer-using) terminals in the US, then not having PAN, etc. on the card itself is the next best thing. Although I guess someone could still skim the magstripe if the card's out of sight.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Some people have the Chase FU which is 1.5%, right?

The promo material says the 1%/2%/3% cash back is credited daily to your account as Apple Cash, that might have appeal to some people.
2% cash back is different from 2x points on Chase UR cards. 2% cards are so common now.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:27 pm
Suspended

If you go to common stores, how many of the stores are ready for contactless payments? Also, how many people (consumers) use phone or contactless cards to pay? I do not even think it is 10%. Even the young people in my family would not use phone to pay.

American people are still conservative. A lot people still feel comfortable to take out a CC from the wallet, than pulling a bulky phone to flash at the terminal....
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you go to common stores, how many of the stores are ready for contactless payments? Also, how many people (consumers) use phone or contactless cards to pay? I do not even think it is 10%. Even the young people in my family would not use phone to pay.
For me, it's 50/50 whether a place I'm at accepts contactless. I also eat out more than I should, so it's very possible it would be significantly more otherwise.

Also, I actually do see people using their phones to pay for stuff now. That definitely wasn't nearly as common a few years ago.

(All of this is YMMV, mind you. I'm sure if certain NFC holdouts like Walmart and Kroger are more prominent in your area, you'd have less success.)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:13 pm
mia

....how many people (consumers) use phone or contactless cards to pay? .....
That's the point . If Apple has 90 million domestic phone users, and only a small fraction are using ApplePay, their objective is to encourage more of those people to try it -and- discourage them from using a contactless card instead. The card won't be offered in a vacuum, there will be other incentives.

This type of behavior change is really Apple's core competence. This does not guarantee success, but they have a good track record of bundling off-the-shelf parts, and making the combination appealing in a way that was previously lacking.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:50 pm
Suspended

To me, Apple credit card is not a standalone credit card product, but part of the Apple plan to control Apply Pay. It wants the transaction volumes. This can add up to more iPhone sales....

Aside from the promotions to use phone to get more reward points, I do not use phone to pay. There is just no need for it. I carry about 8 CCs that cover all.

I was surprised to see the mobile CC terminal used in Canada. I do not recall seeing one in US. We are so behind. But we do not feel the needs to have those.

I'd be happy to hand over my black Ritz Carlton card to the waiter, than handling over my iPhone to him. This is exactly what I did.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was surprised to see the mobile CC terminal used in Canada. I do not recall seeing one in US. We are so behind. But we do not feel the needs to have those.
They exist here but they're definitely way less common (and will likely continue to be for some time to come). I'd disagree on the "not needing" part, however, especially if/when mobile wallets become more commonly used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.