Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Apple and Goldman Sachs to partner on new credit card

Apple and Goldman Sachs to partner on new credit card

Old Aug 6, 19, 4:13 pm

Rollout underway:

https://gizmodo.com/the-apple-card-r...vid-1836995492
Old Aug 6, 19, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dw View Post
Thanks-- that's interesting to hear, and I do wonder if it may lead to issues with older POS systems or ones that may not be configured properly, but I suppose that goes along with the Apple ethos of simplicity. (Unfortunately it sounds like the card will be a no go at unattended kiosks that require either online or offline PIN.)
It also goes along with Apple forcing people to go along with their worldview. Other examples include the headphone jack, getting rid of built-in optical drives, etc.

Originally Posted by Petdog View Post
The depressing part of that article:

Apple anticipates nearly everyone will want the physical card, as many institutions such as sit-down restaurants, may not have widely integrated Apple Pay.
For the people who opt out, though, I wonder where they live in the US that supports contactless 100%.
Old Aug 6, 19, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Other examples include the headphone jack,
Apple isn't the only company to do that, nor were they the first.
Old Aug 6, 19, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdxer View Post
Apple isn't the only company to do that, nor were they the first.
Never said they were first, just that their marketing is pretty good if nothing else. For instance, Google Wallet was a thing for years before Apple Pay came out, yet barely anyone knew about the former (and even now with Google/Samsung Pay, actually; I find that a lot of cashiers assume Apple Pay despite not using an iPhone).

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot more people sign up for this card than we think. It might even get some of the major banks to adopt some of Apple Card's features (like being able to add cards to mobile wallets immediately on approval or not waiting a month+ for points to be deposited).
Old Aug 6, 19, 7:05 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
For the people who opt out, though, I wonder where they live in the US that supports contactless 100%.
People who opt out of the physical card may be planning to use the account only where ApplePay is accepted, and another card elsewhere.
Old Aug 6, 19, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, SK, UR, MR
Originally Posted by mia View Post
People who opt out of the physical card may be planning to use the account only where ApplePay is accepted, and another card elsewhere.
Im not sure I follow the logic.
Old Aug 6, 19, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe. However, the feeling that I get from Apple's marketing and the way the card's structured is that Apple is targeting the kind of person who doesn't want to bother trying to juggle multiple cards while at the same time providing motivation for people to choose Apple Pay instead of swiping or inserting.
Old Aug 6, 19, 8:12 pm

Also online, phone and anywhere else a physical card is not needed.
Old Aug 6, 19, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by pdxer View Post
Also online, phone and anywhere else a physical card is not needed.
Which has slowly been evolving as well. Heck, I can actually instantly fund my trading account via Apple Pay nowadays without having to go through the hassle and delays of setting up wire or ACH transfers.

While I admit that Apple sometimes drives certain changes, such as removing optical drives... Let's be honest, now that it has been some time and the world has been forced to adjust, do you miss them? Change is inevitable, but technology is always supposed to be moving. While it isn't the sole cause, removing optic drives certainly hastened the moves to cloud, and streaming as well as driving down the cost of portable storage. We have already seen that removing the headphone jack has driven significant attention to the fully wireless headphone/earbud space. While I'm sure that, regardless of what they may claim, Apple's design decisions are fully for their own benefit... some of their moves have driven innovation for the rest of the world to catch up to... for everyone's benefit.
Old Aug 7, 19, 12:56 am

How does one use Apple Pay when in a sit-down restaurant? Do you stick your phone in the bill holder?
Old Aug 7, 19, 2:12 am

Programs: Grounded
When I was in Vancouver it was quite common for the wait staff to bring a handheld payment terminal to you and they were often NFC capable. Generally it seemed like the waitstaff let you insert/tap your own card so you could just use your phone that way. I found in my limited European experience they seemed to want to insert your chip card for you so even if the terminal is NFC capable (I often saw the logo out of the corner of my eye) they never actually used it that way.

In the US they almost always disappear with your card so you'd never get the chance even if they had NFC-capable equipment. Only rarely have I seen a restaurant with a mobile NFC Square or clover reader.
Old Aug 7, 19, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by baroqen View Post
While I admit that Apple sometimes drives certain changes, such as removing optical drives... Let's be honest, now that it has been some time and the world has been forced to adjust, do you miss them? Change is inevitable, but technology is always supposed to be moving. While it isn't the sole cause, removing optic drives certainly hastened the moves to cloud, and streaming as well as driving down the cost of portable storage. We have already seen that removing the headphone jack has driven significant attention to the fully wireless headphone/earbud space.
Other way around. Software downloads and video streaming eliminated the need for optical drives, and there is a headphone jack, it's just digital, and with compatible wired headphones included in the box.
Old Aug 7, 19, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrPink View Post
In the US they almost always disappear with your card so you'd never get the chance even if they had NFC-capable equipment. Only rarely have I seen a restaurant with a mobile NFC Square or clover reader.
Yep. IMO, one should assume a particular restaurant in the US can't do NFC (even if they otherwise use the chip on your card) unless there's something specifically indicating that you'd be able to.
Old Aug 7, 19, 4:18 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by baroqen View Post
Which has slowly been evolving as well. Heck, I can actually instantly fund my trading account via Apple Pay nowadays without having to go through the hassle and delays of setting up wire or ACH transfers.t.
Tip:

Open a Chase checking account. Set up transfers to another major bank... Boom, instant ACH transfers up to $5,000 a day. Other banks should grow up and follow suit.
Old Aug 7, 19, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, SK, UR, MR
Major banks, major fees.

When I deposit a check to my credit union, even by smartphone, the amount is instantly available up to $3,500. There are no fees at either end.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: