Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Credit Card as EU-Citizen?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

US Credit Card as EU-Citizen?

Hello everybody, don‘t know if it‘s been brought up before. But is there a possibility to obtain a US Credit Card as EU-Citizen? The travel rewards and bonuses are just stunning compared to what I have in Austria. My most wanted Credit Card would be the Marriott Rewards.

I have never been in the US btw.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by AbcdCn
In that case, are you sure that a US card would be a good idea for you? Paying foreign bills costs a bit due to currency conversion costs and transaction fees, and if you have never been to the US, then I suspect that few of your card transactions will be in USD, so currency conversion charges would apply to many of your transactions, making it very expensive to use a US credit card.

Besides, if you have never been to the US, I'd imagine that US banks have no idea if you can afford to pay your credit card bill, so their risk management departments would probably decline your card application. Normally, only banks in your own country have access to your credit rating.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by AbcdCn
Hello everybody, don‘t know if it‘s been brought up before. But is there a possibility to obtain a US Credit Card as EU-Citizen? The travel rewards and bonuses are just stunning compared to what I have in Austria. My most wanted Credit Card would be the Marriott Rewards.

Welcome to FlyerTalk. Hopefully you will find some useful topics in our site.

Sadly, I don't see a way to obtain a US credit card without a US address, let alone credit status. As far as CC companies are concerned, you don't exist, so would not even consider giving you a credit card. Sorry.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Your citizenship is irrelevant as to whether or not you can get a US credit card, plenty of European citizens have US cards. Without a residence and SSN, however, it will be practically impossible.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
It is possible with certain banks, but it's definitely a "slow and steady wins the race" kind of thing. You need a U.S. bank account at a minimum and would have to start with the most basic of cards.

Perhaps the Amex Global Transfer program can help somehow (or there's always the Amex Platinum IDC...)
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by moe8555
.... (or there's always the Amex Platinum IDC...)
Would first need to open an American Express card in Austria (or perhaps Germany, because they do not seem to issue in Austria), because:

International Currency Card products are only available to existing American Express customers with more than six months of membership.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:10 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
You'd have to live here and gain a social security number and credit history.

Once you've done that, you can probably continue getting cards even if you move elsewhere.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, MileagePlus Silver,
It is possible to use your local banking relationship to get a US checking account and credit card. HSBC definitely do this as I think do Citi.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
As mentioned above, because of KYC (know your customer) laws, without a US address and SS# it is virtually impossible. The global bank option mentioned above is the only long shot.

Besides, if you are never in the US, the currency conversion (even if fee free) will eat up any rewards you earn
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Yes, it is possible to get them.

I know because I have. I have been in your same exact position and big banks as Bank of America,HSBC and Citi allow you to get a CC without SSN or ITIN. AMEX will allow you too providing your passport number and enrolling over the phone to a card. The only issuer which is tight is Chase.

Most of these exceptions ask for a banking relationship with said bank, and as far as I know you have to apply for the card in-branch. I suggest that if you do decide to go this route visit regularly the US for watching the account. Of course, you will have to apply for No Foreign Transaction cards which are the kind that I have.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Your citizenship is irrelevant as to whether or not you can get a US credit card, plenty of European citizens have US cards. Without a residence and SSN, however, it will be practically impossible.
Also some credit history will help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.