Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

is it illegal to refund more than the original purchase and to a different card?

is it illegal to refund more than the original purchase and to a different card?

Reply

Old Jan 17, 19, 12:58 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Programs: na
Posts: 1
is it illegal to refund more than the original purchase and to a different card?

is it illegal to refund more than the original purchase and to a different card?
raquelt120 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 1:07 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott PP, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,730
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ask_Lawyers/
Diplomatico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 1:39 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 40,206
Originally Posted by raquelt120 View Post
is it illegal to refund more than the original purchase and to a different card?
Specifics please.
Often1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 2:07 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,174
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Specifics please.
This. I don't think it's illegal per se but I'm also not sure why a merchant would agree to do this (except maybe if you paid part of the purchase in cash, but I would think that they'd refund the cash part to you in cash).
tmiw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 4:30 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,097
I wouldn't think any more illegal than getting cashback on your credit card (as in you make a purchase, then get $40 more and they charge it all to your cc)
s0ssos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:02 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 4,885
Illegal? No. Why would it be? There's nothing criminal about what is, essentially, a cash advance. Nor is it criminal to refund a returned purchase in a particular way (unless the refund is in the form of cocaine I suppose).

Is it permitted by the contract(s) the merchant has with Visa, MC, etc? Who knows. Even if it isn't allowed per their contract, that's not the same as "illegal".
84fiero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 19, 10:58 am
  #7  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,015
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Illegal? No. Why would it be? There's nothing criminal about what is, essentially, a cash advance. Nor is it criminal to refund a returned purchase in a particular way (unless the refund is in the form of cocaine I suppose).

Is it permitted by the contract(s) the merchant has with Visa, MC, etc? Who knows. Even if it isn't allowed per their contract, that's not the same as "illegal".
Reading between the lines of OP, it sounds like OP would buy an item on sale, and so that (automatic ?) sale price return would not kick in when returning the item once sale is over. Provided merchant did not require sales receipt.
EmailKid is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 19, 8:34 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 14,876
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Reading between the lines of OP, it sounds like OP would buy an item on sale, and so that (automatic ?) sale price return would not kick in when returning the item once sale is over. Provided merchant did not require sales receipt.
A merchant that provides a refund in cash or to a credit card without requiring a receipt is exceedingly rare. Most would provide store credit if the return is accepted at all. And some of the more sophisticated retailers keep track of recent sale prices and such non-receipted returns are provided a refund based on those sale prices.
javabytes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 19, 8:40 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,174
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
A merchant that provides a refund in cash or to a credit card without requiring a receipt is exceedingly rare. Most would provide store credit if the return is accepted at all. And some of the more sophisticated retailers keep track of recent sale prices and such non-receipted returns are provided a refund based on those sale prices.
Actually, I've had Home Depot refund me in cash before because the barcode on the receipt couldn't be scanned. I'm not sure what they would have done had the rest of the receipt not been readable, however (or if the receipt didn't exist at all).
tmiw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 19, 11:48 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 14,876
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Actually, I've had Home Depot refund me in cash before because the barcode on the receipt couldn't be scanned. I'm not sure what they would have done had the rest of the receipt not been readable, however (or if the receipt didn't exist at all).
You had a receipt though. Home Depot had a reasonably high level of confidence they knew what you paid. Merchants are very hesitant to provide cash/credit refunds without a receipt due to a high risk of fraud.
javabytes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 19, 11:56 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,174
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
You had a receipt though. Home Depot had a reasonably high level of confidence they knew what you paid. Merchants are very hesitant to provide cash/credit refunds without a receipt due to a high risk of fraud.
Agreed. FWIW, in my experience at other stores, they typically give you store credit (assuming they allow the return at all).
tmiw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 11:53 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Western US
Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Posts: 598
Most of the time retailers do refunds back to original card number, or sometimes a store gift card (if for some reason that card has expired or something).

Occasionally I've had Costco refund me in cash, but they can see my entire order history because that's a membership store.

And they have a better handle on what's legit, and a generous return policy to begin with.

Medical Service Providers however have given check refunds for services prepaid for with cards, that ended being reimbursed (to the vendor) by the health care insurer.

I'm not sure why (and its not a real useful MS opportunity) but maybe its easier for their systems to handle it through an A/P process, rather than a customer refund process.

Or maybe they have some dollar threshold, and once the number is > $500 or what not, they require A/P to be involved.
akr1970akr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 19, 1:40 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: NC
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
Posts: 8,160
Plus a refund to a card will usually mean a claw-back of points - so why would you want to do this? Unless you are refunding to a non-points card to avoid the claw-back - but I've never met a merchant who would do this. Not illegal (unless done for fraudulent purposes) but not really done
Redhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 19, 1:58 pm
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 40,206
This speculation can go on forever, We have no idea what the OP wanted to accomplish and without details, providing advice about what is and what is not illegal is a poor idea.
Often1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 19, 2:50 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,174
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
Plus a refund to a card will usually mean a claw-back of points - so why would you want to do this? Unless you are refunding to a non-points card to avoid the claw-back - but I've never met a merchant who would do this. Not illegal (unless done for fraudulent purposes) but not really done
At least in the case of Chase, the additional bonus points (if any) aren't clawed back. For instance, getting a refund at Costco last quarter would effectively have resulted in getting 4x points for your purchase instead of 5x.

But yeah, generally speaking, I'd expect all of the points to be clawed back unless there are datapoints proving otherwise.
Redhead likes this.
tmiw is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread