PenFed Pathfinder Card [Consolidated]

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 4, 21, 8:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jebr
Wiki Link
Amex cards were converted to Visa in February, 2020 and the Visa product was opened to new applicants in December 2020. These benefits are offered by the Visa card:
1. $100 annual airline travel credit (calendar year, best card without AF)
2. Up to $100 credit for Global Entry or Pre-TSA (every 5 years)
3. 3x points on all travel purchases. 4x points for Honors Advantage member. 1.5 x on all other purchases
4. 50,000 reward points with $3,000 spending within 90 days
5. Priority Pass basic membership ($99 value) with visits billed at at $32/each
This was the BEST AmEx credit card without annual fee. It had the following benefits:
1. 25,000 reward points with $2,500 spending
2. $100 annual airline travel credit (calendar year, best card without AF)
3. Up to $100 credit for Global Entry or Pre-TSA (every 5 years)
4. 3x points on all travel purchases. 4x points for Honors Advantage member. 1.5 x on all other purchases
Points value: You must use through their portal, which doesn’t provide great value and is generally awful as it requires you to select of time of day which idiotically actually affects the prices you see.

For airlines: Not the greatest value, around 0.75-0.85 cents per point on one way and RT flights. I did a brief search but it seems RT flights give you around 0.81 cents per point while one way is closer to 0.75 cents per point.

For gift cards: You can buy a $250 Amazon GC for 29,410 points, which is 0.85 cents per point.

Points expire in 5 years.

Few Data Points on Air Credit:

Worked.
1. American Airlines Reward Booking Fees worked. 9/18
2. REI MPX did work March 2019
3. AA gift certificate worked 9/2020 2/2021
4. Southwest ticket for $48.xx worked 3/2021
5. Southwest taxes/fees on points booking ($5.60) worked 3/2021
6. Frontier ticket for $31.xx worked 3/2021

Did not work.
1. JCPenny MPX did not work. 7/18
2. Southwest $100 GC purchased 12/20 was not reimbursed.

You must be a member of PenFed to apply. Either be an active/retired (or relative of) service member or have a job at a security/defense related government department, or generally be an employee of a defense related company, or pay $17 to join Voices for America's Troops or National Military Family Association.

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 4, 17, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
PenFed Pathfinder Card [Consolidated]

Tried to become PenFed member by selecting 'Other' at membership form. Getting message 'Your request cannot be completed at this time. Please contact us at 800-247-5626 for assistance'.

Any clue what this might mean?
Old Oct 4, 17, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Tried to become PenFed member by selecting 'Other' at membership form. Getting message 'Your request cannot be completed at this time. Please contact us at 800-247-5626 for assistance'.

Any clue what this might mean?
No. Did you call? Let us know what they say.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 17, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

So saga continues.

The initial problem with the application was the mail forwarder address I put. After I put physical residential address, it went thru.

But now other problem came. Got following message:

Please send notarized color copies of your government issued driver's license or identification card, your social security card, and a current utility bill.
I am overseas now. I actually live here. Getting notarization of a single page in US embassy is $55. I am NOT spending $165 to notarize three pages and then spend the same amount to fedex it across 12000 miles.

Is above normal?

They also did not like my paystubs.

Please send a copy of your two (2) most recent paystubs. The paystubs we received are not acceptable. Do you have another form of paystub showing pays periods and year to date deductions?
These are the only docs I have. And there are no 'deductions' there because it is overseas company and I am on local payroll.

Suggestions?
Old Oct 10, 17, 6:30 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
...After I put physical residential address, it went thru....
If you do send them a utility bill is it going to match this address? The core problem seems to be that you are representing that you live in the USA, but you don't. I think you need to tell them where you actually live, and see if they will consider the application.
Old Oct 10, 17, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have tripped every anti-fraud and anti-money laundering wire there is to be tripped. The requests are far from ordinary and mean that PennFed suspects that you have supplied fraudulent information. Most likely from a mismatch with the IP address.

If you represent that you live in the the US, you would have US pay stubs which would show US deductions, you would have local utility bills and the like.

All of this has generated a SAR and PennFed's compliance people are now giving you the chance to make it right.

I would forget it before you dig yourself deeper OR come clean.
Old Oct 10, 17, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I would forget it before you dig yourself deeper OR come clean.
WHAT come clean? I was very clear in the beginning when filling the application that I live overseas. In the application form there is no option to show overseas address so I used the address which is on my DL before I left US.

Anyway, I will call them tomorrow to talk with a live person.
Old Oct 10, 17, 10:41 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
WHAT come clean? I was very clear in the beginning when filling the application that I live overseas. In the application form there is no option to show overseas address so I used the address which is on my DL before I left US.

Please explain why you are overseas so we can help you.

Are you in the military? Are you a U.S Diplomat? Did you move there and gain citizenship?

On the application there's a drop down menu so you can select "foreign address." Where are you getting that there's no option to select an overseas address?
Old Oct 10, 17, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
Please explain why you are overseas so we can help you.
I work and live here.
Are you in the military? Are you a U.S Diplomat? Did you move there and gain citizenship?
No for all three
On the application there's a drop down menu so you can select "foreign address." Where are you getting that there's no option to select an overseas address?
I tried to enter, it did not go thru because ZIP code is 6 digit.
Old Oct 10, 17, 10:51 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I work and live here.

No for all three

I tried to enter, it did not go thru because ZIP code is 6 digit.
I wouldn't be too concerned about dealing with the customer service reps, as they are more often than not very friendly and knowledgeable.

While you're admitting your wrongdoing to the customer service rep, they may be able to cancel and resubmit another application over the phone, in which then they'll send you the required documents and you have send them back (such as a signature card). I think you'll be fine.
Old Oct 10, 17, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Then wait.

I don't see a rush why you need to push this before you come back to the U.S.
Old Oct 11, 17, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Maybe when the correct answer can't be input, you call and ask for instructions?
Old Oct 11, 17, 4:53 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
...I was very clear in the beginning when filling the application that I live overseas. .
My mistake. This made it seem otherwise (to me)..

The initial problem with the application was the mail forwarder address I put. ...
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:40 pm
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
FWIW, I got a PenFed CC 3 years ago, and I'm located, well, in YUL.

Applied online, and provided both a US mailing address and my Canadian physical address. Was in the service for 13 years - Canadian Forces.

I had to send them some US bills and passport copy (That I had validated/stamped by a USPS postmaster).

Not very useful info for you thought, being oversea...
Old Oct 16, 17, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Update. Surprisingly things went quite well - one lady from PenFed left a voicemail regarding my application. I called. She told me that my profile (US citizen, living overseas, travels frequently back to US and Europe, needs a credit card with PIN, does not work for government or defense contractor or even for an American company) was so unusual that it warranted a phone call.

She asked several questions based on my credit history and was quite satisfied. I was told that all good and my card will be on mail next week.

Now I need to call Citi...
Old Mar 30, 18, 7:26 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Plat
PenFed Pathfinder [Consolidated]

Under certain conditions this AMEX card can generate four points per dollar of spend on travel. This fact, plus others (e.g., $250 sign up bonus, no annual fee, and incidental travel credits) make it very interesting. Still, I have been unable to find good info on the value of these points -- which are NOT Membership Rewards points -- upon redemption. In a recent blog post, The Points Guy said that pretty much all the Pathfinder redemption values, including for air travel, are at less than one cent a point, but that hotel redemptions may be slightly more than one cent a point. Still, TPG is a bit unsure, because he could not access the redemptions directly. Can anyone provide direct experience with redeeming these points?? This card would be extremely valuable to me if there were certain redemptions (e.g., hotel bookings) that were more than one cent a point.

Thanks!

Last edited by EmailKid; Aug 28, 18 at 7:57 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: