Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jebr
Amex cards were converted to Visa in February, 2020 and the Pathfinder Rewards Visa product was opened to new applicants in December 2020. These benefits are offered by the $95-annual-fee (waived for Honors Advantage members) Visa card:
1. $100 annual airline travel credit (calendar year, best card without AF)
2. Up to $100 credit for Global Entry or Pre-TSA (every 5 years)
3. 3x points on all travel purchases. 4x points for Honors Advantage member. 1.5 x on all other purchases
4. 50,000 reward points with $3,000 spending within 90 days
5. Priority Pass basic membership ($99 value) with visits billed at at $32/each
This was the BEST AmEx credit card without annual fee. It had the following benefits:
1. 25,000 reward points with $2,500 spending
2. $100 annual airline travel credit (calendar year, best card without AF)
3. Up to $100 credit for Global Entry or Pre-TSA (every 5 years)
4. 3x points on all travel purchases. 4x points for Honors Advantage member. 1.5 x on all other purchases
Points value: You must use through their portal, which doesn’t provide great value and is generally awful as it requires you to select of time of day which idiotically actually affects the prices you see.

For airlines: Not the greatest value, around 0.75-0.85 cents per point on one way and RT flights. I did a brief search but it seems RT flights give you around 0.81 cents per point while one way is closer to 0.75 cents per point.

For gift cards: You can buy a $250 Amazon GC for 29,410 points, which is 0.85 cents per point.

Points expire in 5 years.

Few Data Points on Air Credit:

Worked.
1. AA e Gift Card ($100) worked 2/2021
2. AA gift certificate worked 9/2020 2/2021
3. Southwest ticket for $48.xx worked 3/2021
4. Southwest taxes/fees on points booking ($5.60) worked 3/2021
5. Frontier ticket for $31.xx worked 3/2021
6. Alaska ticket ($50ish) which was then converted to travel funds worked 12/2020
7. Alaska first class upgrade ($21)
8. AA seat upgrade ($18.xx)
9. Southwest wi-fi purchase ($8.00)
10. Frontier food/beverage on-board purchase ($23.00 and $10.00)
11. UA Travelbank $50 12/2022
12. DL fare differential (~$40) worked 5/2023

Did not work.
1. UA Travelbank load $50 12/2020
2. Southwest $100 GC purchased 12/20 was not reimbursed. $50 SW GC not reimbursed purchase 01/2021.
3. Delta e-gift card did not work Summer 2020
4. AA lounge food/beverage purchase ($7) did not work 01/2023
5. UA fare differential (over $100) did not work 4/2023

You must be a member of PenFed to apply. Either be an active, reserve, honorably discharged, or retired service member (or their relative), or have a job at a security/defense-related government department, or generally be an employee of a defense-related company, or pay $17 to join Voices for America's Troops or National Military Family Association.

The $95 annual fee is waived for Honors Advantage members, who qualify for such membership either through military service or by having and maintaining a PenFed checking account.

https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/...vantage-points

$100 Airline Fee Details:
  • Qualified transactions include baggage fees, flight-change fees, in-flight food and beverage, airport lounge day passes, pet kennel fees, and phone reservation fees.
  • Ancillary purchases that count for the annual credit can be made at Alaskan Air, American Air, Delta Air, Frontier Air, Hawaiian Air, JetBlue, Southwest Air, United Air, and Virgin America.
Print Wikipost

PenFed Pathfinder Card [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
Just received this card and found that gift cards typically redeem for 0.85 for gift cards. Sales gift cards redeem for .95 I checked two flights I was watching...one for UA and one for AS and both were redeeming for .80

Examples
$25 Amazon 2940 points 0.85
$25 itunes 2640 points (sales price, typically 2940).

The card is worthwhile for $100 travel credit as well as Global Entry Fee refund. It has expanded travel categories over US Bank Altitude Reserve, so possibly some utility there. Considering .85 Amazon credit is probably the least I'd redeem for, it's worth at least 4x.85 or 3.4% on travel, assuming one can qualify for the 4x earnings and doesn't mind redeeming for gift cards. I'm hopeful that I can find better than .80 for flights, but so far 2 for 2 at .80.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
PenFed Pathfinder Airline Credit/ Points Redemption

Credit has not triggered on any of the below, what am i doing wrong?

7/7/2018 7/9/2018 MPX*JCPENNEY 127$
AMERICAN AIRLINES 4810221ST THOM on Aug 31
AMERICAN AIRLINES 4810221ST THOM on Aug 31
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:30 am

PenFed membership questions & related discussion

I sent an application for PenFed, they requested additional demographic proof but nothing more yet. I have military family (but they are deceased now) and we are members of USAA, but that did not appear on the drop down list. If you’re not a member of any of the organizations, what is the best way to qualify?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:47 pm

If you can’t get the FNBO card

Originally Posted by Superbblake
I sent an application for PenFed, they requested additional demographic proof but nothing more yet. I have military family (but they are deceased now) and we are members of USAA, but that did not appear on the drop down list. If you’re not a member of any of the organizations, what is the best way to qualify?
So they actually didn’t even take any membership info from me other than when I told them what category I qualified under. I legitimately qualify but I didn’t have to send proof. My mother in law also applied on the same phone call and they said she qualified just because she knows me... I honestly think the membership criteria is to control applications. But in any case, it’s an awesome free card for the travel credit.

this blogger explains how you can pay $15 one time to join an organization to qualify for PenFed, if they insist.

https://www.asksebby.com/blog/penfed...el-credit-card

then you can enjoy the 100 dollar travel credit each year.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:08 am

Membership to penfed

Originally Posted by EZTraveler

So they actually didn’t even take any membership info from me other than when I told them what category I qualified under. I legitimately qualify but I didn’t have to send proof. My mother in law also applied on the same phone call and they said she qualified just because she knows me... I honestly think the membership criteria is to control applications. But in any case, it’s an awesome free card for the travel credit.

this blogger explains how you can pay $15 one time to join an organization to qualify for PenFed, if they insist.

then you can enjoy the 100 dollar travel credit each year.

I missed a call from them, but I responded to their e-mail, and haven’t heard back from them yet. Did you have to put money into a checking account for membership? And/or Did you sign up for membership in order to receive the card?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:00 am

I wish

I missed a call from them, but I responded to their e-mail, and haven’t heard back from them yet. Did you have to put money into a checking account for membership? And/or Did you sign up for membership in order to receive the card?
My dear friend, I did not get the card. I opened an online savings account in an attempt to get in their system and possibly get a prescreened invite in the mail. So far I got NOTHING! I want it. Its free money and a great travel credit because its not tied to one airline like my platinum card.

I was however able to get the Penfed card. Its very similar to the FNBO and also with no annual fee.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:04 am

I did get the PenFed Card

Yes, I had to deposit 5 dollars into their basic savings account. This is actually very normal for a credit union. Its kind of like holding your certificate of stock that you can cash out if you leave. But seriously, these guys want to give you 100 dollars to spend on travel expenses each year. I plan to keep this card until I am bedridden.

Btw, the application process was a little irritating, only because they kept asking for more. I had to call them back a few times to see what the hold up was, just to find out that my application was held up until additional documentation was received. When it was done, they had my most recent pay stubs, my tax return and everything in between. They are picky because they can be and they are conservative in their underwriting because they have to be... to give such good benefits. My mother in law applied when I did, on the same call and we still joke about that process. BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!

Last edited by EZTraveler; Jan 8, 2019 at 2:09 am
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:58 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by EZTraveler
Yes, I had to deposit 5 dollars into their basic savings account. This is actually very normal for a credit union. Its kind of like holding your certificate of stock that you can cash out if you leave. But seriously, these guys want to give you 100 dollars to spend on travel expenses each year. I plan to keep this card until I am bedridden.

Btw, the application process was a little irritating, only because they kept asking for more. I had to call them back a few times to see what the hold up was, just to find out that my application was held up until additional documentation was received. When it was done, they had my most recent pay stubs, my tax return and everything in between. They are picky because they can be and they are conservative in their underwriting because they have to be... to give such good benefits. My mother in law applied when I did, on the same call and we still joke about that process. BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!
Which card offers $100 reimbursement annually on travel expenses and how much is the AF? TIA.

LAX
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by LAX
Which card offers $100 reimbursement annually on travel expenses and how much is the AF? TIA.

LAX
The card is the Pathfinder. Its a no annual fee card.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:27 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
$100 travel credit with no annual fee? That sounds too good to be true. What's the catch? Even if there is no catch, I can't imagine it lasting long once word gets out.

LAX
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:18 am

No catch. It’s a keeper! Btw, they also will comp global entry..
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
With the new updates to the MPX app in the last few days, has anyone had success getting Pathfinder credits to post for eGC bought on MPX like Walmart, eBay etc. ?

I had some that credited properly at the end of 2018 for BestBuy and Walmart, but haven't tried yet for 2019.

Probably would actually save the credits for real airline incidentals, but just like knowing this is in the backpocket as an option if ever needed again.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
PenFed Pathfinder - $100 Travel Credit not automatically applied

Has anyone been able to get the 100$ Travel Credit automatically? I have had to call in and remind the CS about the benefit then escalate the credit request to another department for two+ weeks. The inflight purchases have been made on American and United domestic flights.

Last edited by cotr; Jan 16, 2019 at 9:04 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:17 am

Penfed Pathfinder Credit Card

Is there a dedicated page/wiki for the Penfed Pathfinder credit card? I searched and couldn't find one. The card with $100 annual travel credit and no AF.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have consolidated several small threads which mention the PenFed Pathfinder card. Some of the early posts pertain to problems qualifying for PenFed membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.