Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Are travel credit cards really worth it now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are travel credit cards really worth it now?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by andyk711
I wasn't talking about "class of service" and all the extra fees some people are willing to pay to get better seats. If you reread my post you'll see that I was talking about basic economy seating, which for us people who fly two or three times per year usually get. I try to save as much money as I can on the flight so I'll have more for spending on vacations and I try to get my airline tickets as cheaply as possible. My point/question was about the airlines and how they're trying to eliminate free basic economy tickets for credit card travelers (that's my opinion and I was looking for others). I'm beginning to think it's not worth the free ticket if you cannot reserve a seat in advance and end up boarding last with the possibility of not being able to have a carry-on, which means you probably won't be able to sit with spouse. Being that I'm disabled I need an isle seat, but that will be very difficult to get if I have to wait for seating. Sorry if I offended anyone with my posts, I'll stop and move on.
Your stated issue doesn't really have anything to do with "credit card travelers", though. When you buy basic economy tickets - whether you pay with cash or with credit card points - you don't get an assigned seat and you forfeit other amenities in return for the lower price.

So it's not really a "points" issue - or an issue of airlines treating "credit card travelers" differently - it's the fact that you're purchasing a ticket in a fare bucket that is encumbered with additional restrictions.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Your stated issue doesn't really have anything to do with "credit card travelers", though. When you buy basic economy tickets - whether you pay with cash or with credit card points - you don't get an assigned seat and you forfeit other amenities in return for the lower price.

So it's not really a "points" issue - or an issue of airlines treating "credit card travelers" differently - it's the fact that you're purchasing a ticket in a fare bucket that is encumbered with additional restrictions.
I think the OP is confusing the term "basic economy". I may be wrong but I believe he is saying "basic economy" without regard to the fare class, but saying, "a basic flight, not biz/first" whereas most FTers know that Basic Economy is a fare class where such elements as carry-on and seat selection have been stripped out of the cost
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by andyk711
I wasn't talking about "class of service" and all the extra fees some people are willing to pay to get better seats. If you reread my post you'll see that I was talking about basic economy seating, which for us people who fly two or three times per year usually get. I try to save as much money as I can on the flight so I'll have more for spending on vacations and I try to get my airline tickets as cheaply as possible.
I also think that OP does not understand Basic Economy is a class of service, and that he (or she) can get what he want by picking the "main cabin" class. Main Cabin will probably require more points, or OP can look at Basic Economy as taking fewer points. For infrequent travelers, credit card may be the only way they can earn a free ticket. How else can they accumulate miles if they don't fly?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:01 pm
Original Member

As to the original question: '"Are travel credit cards really worth it now?"

To answer that question, on must define "it". The starting cost of miles from travel credit cards is their opportunity cost. This is the amount of money you give up from cash back cards when spending on a miles earning card. See this discussion to compute that: The Opportunity Cost of Credit Card Miles Offers
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:10 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
If you like the idea of last-minute ("this weekend", "tomorrow", etc) personal trips, travel credit cards are a good way to enjoy that freedom and avoid paying through the nose.

To clarify: I think it's still worth it despite the new restrictions on Delta.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Xlr
If you like the idea of last-minute ("this weekend", "tomorrow", etc) personal trips, travel credit cards are a good way to enjoy that freedom and avoid paying through the nose.

To clarify: I think it's still worth it despite the new restrictions on Delta.
On UA and AA, you might find saver award availability, but close-in booking fees are charged for non-elites (award travel may still be a good deal even considering this fee). Delta doesn’t charge those fees, but they have implemented dynamic award faring, including advance purchase requirements, so last-minute award travel will tend to cost more miles just like how the cash fare tends to be higher too.

The thing that airlines need to be careful of when following Delta down this road of revenue-based earning, fare-based redemption is that their programs are turning into basic rebates. If you earn one mile/$ with your credit card spend, and can only redeem for $0.01/mile (a valuation DL seems to be striving to normalize award redemptions at), it makes little sense to spend on that card and earn effectively a 1% rebate, while there are other cards that offer 2% cash back on all purchases or others that have high category bonuses. I’m sure there are plenty of people who won’t bother to do even basic math, but this risks the future of loyalty programs (and even the entire airlines themselves) that are propped up on revenue from mileage sales to co-branded credit card partners.
84fiero likes this.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 29, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:49 pm
Suspended

I'm not really going to get into whether people can select seats in advance for basic economy. But I will address the OP's question about whether travel cards are still worth it.

For me, yes. I got into this hobby back in early 2014 and have accumulated millions of miles from churning. I've been to 35+ countries in the last 4 years and that wouldn't have happened without all the miles I've racked up. Even now, almost 5 years after I got into the hobby, I still have a huge stash of points and miles that I can use.

I've slowed down a bit. Banks have gotten smarter about putting in rules to limit the amount of gaming the system that people can do. I still do it when able.

So for me, travel cards are still absolutely worth it. But I'm certainly not as crazed about it as I use to be.
Johnny O likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Stepping back, OP, if you only fly two or three times a year, a 2% cash back card will be much better for you in general. If you and your spouse check bags on your flights, holding a Delta Gold card for a $95 fee may be worth it as well.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
My advice for the past few years has been:
  1. Do you understand the churning game? If so, then pursue lots of cards & programs.
  2. Do you travel paid flights periodically (at least a few times a year) on an airline? Then get a credit card aligned with that program for some of its fringe benefits and to combine the points earning from flying & spending.
  3. None of the above? A cash-back card is your best bet nowadays.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
My advice for the past few years has been:
Agreed, but even when (2) applies, if you generally travel in coach class on domestic USA routes served by more than one carrier, it may be better to put most of your spending on the 2% cashback card, and use the airline affinity card primarily for benefits. Cash allows you access to more seat inventory than miles, -and- you are unlikely to net more than $0.02/mile in economy on competitive routes.
isle-hawg likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Cash cards are best for daily spending (for nearly the entire population). Miles/Points cards are best for sign-up bonuses. There is no harm in having both types.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What's the best airline credit card at the moment for benefits and perks?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That depends entirely on what you need, because some benefits are only needed for some flyers, and some benefits may overlap with elite status that some people have at that airline. For example, early boarding might matter to someone who has no status, but is irrelevant to someone who boards even earlier because of their status. And some people, including me, fly "carry-on only", meaning we never check bags, and so a checked bag benefit is pretty useless to us.

Meanwhile, I doubt there is an unambiguous best. Do you value the 2 lounge passes with a United card more, or do you value the 10% back on miles redemptions (up to 10k a year) on AA cards more, or the $50 annual credit for DL purchases on DL cards more, or the 3x (rather than 2x) earning on AS flights as well as an annual Companion Fare (but with AS being only a "regional" airline) with the AS card? These benefits are so different, I don't see how anyone can rank them for anyone else.

And btw, sometimes for some things a non-airline card trumps an airline card. Amex DL cards earn 2x on DL purchases, but the Amex Gold card earn 3x on DL (and other airline purchases made directly with the airline), and MR points transfer 1 to 1 to DL! So you earn more DL miles on DL purchases by using the Amex Gold card (and then transferring to DL) than any DL card.
strickerj and isle-hawg like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I would say the AMEX Platinum (Airline tee credit, Uber credits, pretty comprehensive lounge access) plus a branded airline card for the airline you fly most (mainly for free baggage, status qualification benefits). For me, that combo is the AMEX Platinum + AMEX Delta Platinum.
Johnny O likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:07 pm

Like others have said. The airline specific cards are really only good for the signup bonus and the lounge/priority boarding/free bags... and that’s a pretty narrow benefit locking you into a specific carrier.
For the most part they are pretty garbage for putting any actual spend on.

Something like CSR or AMEX platinum lets you transfer to airlines, redeem through their portal or cash out. All with much better bonus spend categories
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.