Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Chase sapphire preferred or Wells Fargo propel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

•Looking to get a card for my daily use. Hoping to build some points to get some cash back or gift cards.
•Don’t travel much
•Good credit.
•Don’t mind a small yearly fee.
•I already know all the sign up bonuses and a lot of the details with both cards. Just looking for some experienced advice on which would be the better card for my daily use.

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
You might research some of the things about Wells Fargo practices with customers that are in the news. That may influence your desire to deal with them.

your desire (or lack thereof) for airport lounge access may also come into play.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:39 am

Since it seems like you've already weighed the benefits of both cards I'l stay away from commenting on those. I'd say that the Sapphire Preferred is the better card as a daily driver. For one, the Sapphire is a Visa, which pretty much guarantees that any place that takes credit cards will take it. The Propel is an Amex, and while Amex acceptance is really good, there are a good number of places (especially small businesses) that don't take Amex. Most of my utilities also don't take Amex, but that may be different where you are. Therefore, if I had to choose only one as a daily card I'd go with the Sapphire.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:24 pm

The Sapphire preferred has an annual fee the Propel does not.
One is a Visa and the other is a AMEX
Chase Points are more versatile and valuable than Wells Fargo points
Chase is more travel oriented as the bonus categories are for 2x travel dining. Propel has 3x back on a wider range of categories
The Propel has a pretty unique benefit in that it gives you Cellphone insurance for free as long as you pay your cellular bill with it.

It looks like you are looking for a 1 size fits all card for daily use with little to no maintenance.... in which case i wouldn't suggest either of these two cards.
Something like a Citi double cash card might be more of what you are looking for. A straight up 2% cash back on all purchases, no muss no fuss.

If you want to get a little more involved you can do something like a Chase or AMEX trifecta to maximize rewards in every category

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.