FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Bank of America Cash Rewards - 3% category qualifying options (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1945621-bank-america-cash-rewards-3-category-qualifying-options.html)

rasheed Dec 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Bank of America Cash Rewards - 3% category qualifying options

I have started this new thread to help track the new BofA "choose your 3% cash back category" monthly program that starts the week of 1/14/2019.

The wiki will be the best reference post to contain relevant information. In particular, we will want to track which MCC or examples receive the bonus rate chosen. At least one of the categories, a broad "travel" category is relevant to the FT community. If there is information in other threads about how BofA categorizes "travel", that should also be included.

This card will continue to reward 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs and 1% at all non-bonus locations.

This card is considered especially valuable because of the bonus rewards for BofA deposit customers. At least 10% rewards for any customers who redeems to a savings or checking account, and 25% to 75% for customers in the Preferred Rewards program.

dinkoh Dec 13, 2018 1:39 pm

What a great deal! 5.25% return for any online shopping or travel is just awesome. Can't wait.

rasheed Dec 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Online Shopping BofA Data Needed!

Okay folks, we really need to start doing some data gathering on the Online Shopping category. Unless BofA releases any specifics on this category, the best case assumption is to use the Online Transaction flag. I am going to give some examples of merchant processors, merchants or categories that we can use the collective help from users of BofA cards prior to the launch to see if they might count.

The flag again is called Online Transaction and you have to click on the transaction on the mobile app or open the arrow on the online banking portal to see if this flag is Y or N. You can post the information if you see something that has not already been determine OR if you have something useful to add for this flag use.

Any BofA card that has these examples are okay AND Visa/MC, doesn't matter. Also, use of the three digit security code on the back of the card for the online transaction is not a mandatory thing as some online retailers don't ask for it, but it might impact the flag result.

Here is the example list to look for example BofA transactions:

Amazon (both marketplace and direct Amazon.com items sold, they have different merchant descriptions sometimes)
Ebay (both the new direct card payment and Paypal option) YES
Paypal - online (stores that have the option at checkout) YES
Paypal - in-store (using a linked BofA card)
Paypal - Samsung Pay connected
Samsung Pay (in-store) (does not qualify)
Google Pay/Android Pay (both online and in-store use)
Apple Pay (both online and in-store use)
itunes
Play Store (Android)
Walmart Pay (both online and in-store QR use)
walmart.com
Best Buy online
Groupon/Living Social/Travelzoo
Theme park tickets online (Undercover Tourist, other sites)
Masterpass online (remember, Masterpass takes non-MC cards)
Visa checkout online
Cable/Utility/Phone Bill online (both automatic pay setup online AND one-time pay)
Taxes paid online with service fee (Heartland or others)
Government services online with no service fee (DMV, court fees, etc.)
School tuition paid online (universities, college, secondary/elementary schools)

Direct airline ticket bought online
Online travel agencies (all kinds prepaid, travel activities, OTA is shown as merchant, airline is shown as merchant)
App-based payments (Caviar, Postmates, Uber, Uber Eats, Lyft, Starbucks, Dunkin)
Online hotels, train/rental cars/shuttle services (prepaid, deposit and pay at end, but only when you never provide the physical card to the merchant ever, even at check-in/pick-up or end of use and only entered the card online)
Google Express
Instacart
Pizza services (pizzahut.com/dominos online or app)
Netflix/Sling/Hulu/Spotify/etc. (mostly reoccurring transaction)
Restaurants direct pay online or app (Revel online order, BJs app)
Insurances paid online (home, car, life, etc. both one-time and automatic setup online)
Direct restaurants paid in app for pick-up or delivery (Wendys, McDonalds, Taco Bell, CFA, etc.)
Online donations/charity both one-time and setup online reoccurring
HomeDepot/Lowes online orders (both delivery and for pick-up)
Movie tickets - Atom, Fandango, AMC direct, Regal direct, others (both app and website examples)
Recharge travel pass (toll pass or mass transit pass where transaction for recharge only setup online)
Tickemaster/theater/concerts/axs/stubhub/others bought only online (can be paper or e-ticket)
Costco.com/samsclub.com/bjs.com

Useful overseas examples of online transactions on BofA cards welcomed (train companies, regional airlines, online ticket purchases, taxi apps).

I am a bit worried about reoccurring charges versus single-pay online ones, but I need data to know that answer.

sdsearch Dec 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed (Post 30532487)
Okay folks, we really need to start doing some data gathering on the Online Shopping category.

If you want to how worried I am about the confusion that might occur about what counts and what doesn't, go look at the wikipost atop this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...continued.html

The Citi Access and Access More cards have been giving 2x and 3x respectively for "online shoipping" for years, but the wiki has just about as equally big a list of sites that don't work as the list of sites that do work! Including none of the main national camera stores working directly (you have to use paypal).

I don't know if anyone has ever figured out the rhyme and reason for those lists being as they are or not. I also don't know if the problems shown there are Citi-specific or would happen at any bank that tried to give a bonus for "online shopping".

rasheed Dec 14, 2018 4:50 pm

This is good information.

I have avoided using other card companies for this online shopping category because the definition can be broad. For example, Chase has a field, but it is defined more of a Card Not Present concept.

Some merchants run web transactions as CNP on their in-person processor versus using an online merchant processor. This should go away eventually as merchant processing rules get more strict.

Citi also seems to be applying some exclusions based on MCC. Obviously, we hope that will not be the case here, but possible.

tmiw Dec 16, 2018 10:46 am

I got an email and a letter from BofA about this too. If I was still focusing mostly on cash back instead of points I'd definitely keep the card's bonus category locked on online purchases. :)

That said, maybe I'll try doing a test purchase from Amazon at some point and see if it actually counts for the 3%. Assuming someone else doesn't do it before I get to it, of course.

BTW I doubt Apple/Google Pay in-person purchases will count. At least on Chase, those show up as in-person purchases.

PLin Dec 30, 2018 4:54 pm

I just paid the daycare bill for my son using their online payment website using my BoA Premium Rewards card, and the Online Transaction flag was N, which is not a good sign that I’ll be able earn 3% using Cash Rewards.

rasheed Jan 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Not a good sign. Do you remember if the website for the tuition was passed a third party processor when doing the payment or any indication on the charge if they used one?

A few days to go before the madness begin. I am hoping Paypal will work for online shopping, but would like to see what else is okay online.

Lots of buzz of a few people getting access to the 3% category selection tool early. I don't have it yet. I did see an article on the SSO rewards site about the new program. It expanded definition for the existing categories (gas and groceries), but there was no information about the new categories. Some of the online buzz indicated that there was details for those who have the selection tool about the category selection and what qualifies, but I have not seen any of the details. Gas is a very broad category (especially for those who get gas delivered to their home for household use). Groceries also includes small, independent, local stores which are not included on AmEx (for example).

paperwastage Jan 14, 2019 6:43 am

The examples are kinda crazy (scroll down to online shopping and expand )

Online AND mobile app, and covers uber.com (only gift cards?), Airlines etc

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...egory-choices/

The Online Shopping category includes online and mobile app purchases in a wide variety of merchant categories* including, but not limited to:

Bookstores Clothing and Apparel Department Stores Discount Stores Electronics Specialty Retail Stores Sporting Goods

Merchant Examples**

• Amazon.com
  • Americanairlines.com
  • Apple.com (Includes Itunes & Store)
  • Bestbuy.com
  • Deltaairlines.com
  • Etsy.com
  • Groupon.com
  • Macys.com
  • Microsoftxboxlive.com
  • Qvc.com
  • Starbucks.com
  • Target.com
  • Ticketmaster.com
  • Uber.com
  • Walmart.com
  • Wish.com

DeltaNeutral28 Jan 14, 2019 11:51 am

Do not see where to change category for 3%

rove312 Jan 14, 2019 12:53 pm

For where to change the category, the site says:

At first, the choice category will be set to gas purchases. As you plan for future purchases, you can update your choice category selection in our Mobile Banking app or in Online Banking.You can update your selection once each calendar month. If you don't make a change, the choice category will remain the same.

I've already changed it, and don't know if I can fully replicate it, but on a desktop browser, when logging in, select the card, then Rewards, you get the six options, and click the one you want.

For a while, I've only used the card for some automatically set up charges to charity, and when I made the selection today, I thought it said those were all in the Online Shopping category, but I don't find it saying that as I check it again.

DeltaNeutral28 Jan 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by rove312 (Post 30654013)
For where to change the category, the site says:

I've already changed it, and don't know if I can fully replicate it, but on a desktop browser, when logging in, select the card, then Rewards, you get the six options, and click the one you want.

For a while, I've only used the card for some automatically set up charges to charity, and when I made the selection today, I thought it said those were all in the Online Shopping category, but I don't find it saying that as I check it again.

Unfortunately, I do not see any option(s) in my rewards tab of the cash rewards card to change the 3% categories.

dw Jan 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 (Post 30654295)
Unfortunately, I do not see any option(s) in my rewards tab of the cash rewards card to change the 3% categories.

I received an email from BofA on Friday stating that the changes would be effective the “week of” January 14, and in the footnotes it further stated that it could take 7-10 days for my account to be “enrolled”. So it looks like accounts are being converted in batches. Mine still hasn’t been done.

rasheed Jan 14, 2019 4:24 pm

I also do not have the option yet, so it could be anytime this week.

Thank you for posting the details document from the website. I will get the wiki updated. I think I did very well on most of the categories sniffing from other BofA cards and materials, but Online Shopping is a whole new game.

I am guessing they are doing the Online flag minus all of the MCCs they are excluding. So sad, but the reality in today's MS world.

It does appear that the Travel category does get the overlap with Online Shopping which might be enough to remove Travel as a preferred choice.

mikesyr18 Jan 15, 2019 4:47 pm

The fact that they couldn’t roll this out all at once to cardholders is pathetic. I have yet to see the choices or the removal of the minimum redemption amount.