Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Bank of America Cash Rewards - 3% category qualifying options

Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rasheed
BofA has officially refreshed the Bank of America Cash Rewards card. It does not appear any aspect of the rewards program will be getting worse (only new positive options).

BofA has published a comprehensive document indicating the MCC for each bonus category.
BofA has published a pre-release article about the program for customers.
BofA has published a website detailing the 3% categories.

On a calendar monthly basis, a customer can choose a category from a pre-determined list to receive 3% cash rewards. If you do not change the category in a given calendar month, it will stay with what you picked the previous calendar month (or gas if none was ever chosen). You must make the change before the purchase happens (the term "future purchases" is used) because bonus rewards are calculated immediately when transactions post (unlike AmEx, but similar to Chase and Barclays). It seems possible that you could split the month among two categories if you leave the previous calendar month category and then change it later in the new month.

Category selection happens on mobile app or Online Banking website (not by phone call or chat).

Currently, that list is:

Gas (this will be the default if a choice is not selected)
-Pay at the pump (automated fuel dispensers including Costco Gas, Sam's Club and gas stations at grocery stores that categorize as fuel dispensers)
-Pay inside (when the convenience store is categorized as a service station)
-5172 Petroleum and Petroleum Products (*unique to BofA*)
-5541 Service Stations (includes many 7-11s for example)
-5542 Automated Fuel Dispensers (almost all pay at the pump classifies as this one regardless of brand or retailer)
-5983 Fuel Dealers (*unique to BofA*)
This is confirmed from the 3% category choice explanation website.

Gas and fuel merchants include merchants whose primary line of business is the sale of automotive gasoline that can be purchased inside the service station or at the automated fuel pump and gasoline purchased at boat marinas, as well as fuel dealers whose primary line of business is the sale of heating oil, propane and other fuels, such as kerosene.
Online Shopping
This category is actually the most restrictive of all the new choices. In general, a purchase made "online" via website or mobile should count. However, if the merchant is categorized as a service, it will likely not count. Paypal DOES pass along the MCC of the underlying merchant seller. If you are buying physical goods, it should be okay, but if you are buying any virtual item (gift cards, etc.), be aware that it probably will not count.

It appears that BofA did a NOT to include for this category and selected as many services that will not count (including tuition, taxes, healthcare bills, insurance, memberships). It also appears that BofA did NOT exclude any travel merchants where you make the purchase online (OTA/direct airlines/prepaid hotels?). So, it is an overlap of Travel.

MCCs that have confirmed to work (with Online Transaction flag as Y):
-4722 Travel Agencies and Tour Operators
-5300 Wholesale Clubs
-5399 General Merchandise/Misc
-5732 Electronics Stores
-5912 Drug Stores and Pharmacies
-5992 Florists
-8675 Automobile Associations

Paypal okay via online transaction if underlying merchant is in an allowed category.

Any major gift card use such as BHN (common charge prefix for Blackhawk), Cashstar (back-end for many retailer direct online gift card purchases) has been manually removed/deactivated so that they do not pay the 3% part.

Dining
Includes:
-5812 Eating Places and Restaurants
-5813 Drinking Places/Bars
-5814 Fast Food Restaurants
Not likely:
-5462 Bakeries (this is a fixed 2% category with grocery stores noted below )
-5811 Caterers

From another BofA card reference:
Travel and Dining Category: Dining includes Restaurants, including Fast Food, and Drinking Establishments, such as Bars or Taverns. [..]
Travel
BofA went further than all other BofA cards with travel categories for this card:
Airlines, Air Carriers, Airports, Airport Terminals, Flying Fields Amusement Parks, Carnivals, Circuses, Fortune Tellers Aquariums, Dolphinariums, Zoos and Seaquariums Art Dealers and Galleries Boat Leases and Boat Rentals Bus Lines Campgrounds and Trailer Parks Car Rental Agencies Cruise Lines Direct Marketing — Travel-Related Arrangements Services Hotels, Motels, Resorts Motor Home and Recreational Vehicle Rental Package Tour Operators (for use in Germany only) Parking Lots and Garages Real Estate Agents and Managers (Rentals) Recreation Services (not elsewhere classified) Suburban and Local Commuter Passenger Travel, including Ferries Taxicabs and Limousines Timeshares Truck and Trailer Utility Rentals Passenger Railways Toll and Bridge Fees Tourist Attractions and Exhibits Transportation Services (not elsewhere classified) Travel Agencies and Tour Operators
Note, it includes many, but not all Entertainment categories found in other cards such as Savor or Marvel. Some of the key ones excluded are Movies Theater-related. This card does include theme park tickets (at the ticket booth), but not retail stores or dining in theme parks. This card also has some unusual ones such as airports and art galleries.

Another BofA card that defines travel purchases indicates the following categories

This information needs to be verified (likely through card experience):
a) Airlines, Air Carriers (MCC Codes 3000-3299, 4511); (b) Lodging-Hotels, Motels, Resorts (MCC codes 3501-3999, 7011); (c) Car Rental Agencies (MCC codes 3351-3441, 7512, 4121); (d) Cruise Lines (MCC code 4411); Travel Agencies and Tour Operators (MCC codes 4722, 4416, 4417); (e) Passenger Railways (MCC code 4112); (f) Transportation-Suburban and Local Commuter Passenger, including Ferries (MCC Code 4111); (g) Bus Lines (MCC codes 4131, 4722); (h) Transportation Services-not elsewhere classified (MCC code 4789); (i) Real Estate Agents and Managers-Rentals (MCC code 6513); (j) Timeshares (MCC code 7012); (k) Campgrounds and Trailer Parks (MCC Code 7033); (l) Motor Home and Recreational Vehicle Rental (MCC Code 7519); (m) Tourist Attractions and Exhibits (MCC Code 7991, 5971); (n) Amusement Parks, Carnivals, Circuses, Fortune Tellers (MCC Code 7996); (o) Aquariums, Dolphinariums, Zoos, and Seaquariums (MCC Code 7998); (p) Boat Leases and Boat Rentals (MCC Code 4457); or (q) Recreation Services-not elsewhere classified (MCC Code 7999)

Another list for a different program indicates (looks like it overlaps with the above list):
How Your Travel Credit Works: A travel credit is applied as a statement credit to your account to offset travel purchases from qualifying merchants in these travel-related categories: airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, trailer parks, motor home and recreational vehicle rentals, campgrounds, car rental agencies, truck and trailer rental, cruise lines, travel agencies, tour operators and real estate agents, operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, boat rentals, parking lots and garages, tolls and bridge fees, tourist attractions and exhibits like art galleries, amusement parks, carnivals, circuses, aquariums, zoos and the like. Purchases from some merchants that provide travel-related goods and services will not be eligible for a travel credit, like in-flight goods and services, and duty-free airport purchases.
Drug Stores
-5912 (Drug Stores and Pharmacies)
-5122 (Drug Proprietors and Drug Sundries) (*unique to BofA*)

Home Improvement/Furnishings
Very broad list of MCCs.
Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Repair Shops Antique Shops for Sales, Repairs and Restoration Services Architectural, Engineering and Surveying Services Building Materials, Lumber Stores, Carpentry Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning Contractors, Concrete Crystal and Glassware Stores Drapery, Upholstery and Window Coverings Stores Electrical Contractors Electrical Parts and Equipment Equipment, Furniture and Home Furnishings Stores (except Appliances) Equipment, Tool, Furniture and Appliance Rental and Leasing Fireplace, Fireplace Screens and Accessories Stores Floor Covering Stores Florist Suppliers, Nursery Stock and Flowers Furniture Reupholstering, Repair and Refinishing General Contractor/Residential Building Glass, Paint, Wallpaper Stores Hardware Equipment and Supplies Hardware Stores Heating, Plumbing, Air Conditioning Contractors Home Supply Warehouse Stores Household Appliance Stores Landscaping and Horticultural Services Lawn and Garden Supply Stores Masonry, Stonework, Tile Setting, Plastering, Insulation Contractors Miscellaneous House Furnishing Specialty Shops Office and Commercial Furniture Paints, Varnishes and Supplies Plumbing and Heating Equipment and Supplies Roof, Siding and Sheet Metal Work Contractors Special Trade Contractor (not elsewhere classified)

Fixed 2% grocery stores and wholesales clubs
Purchases made at eligible grocery store merchants and wholesale clubs, which include supermarkets, freezer/meat lockers, candy, nut or confection stores, dairy product stores, and bakeries. Excluded from this Bonus Category are superstores and smaller stores (like drug stores and convenience stores) that sell groceries and other products.
BofA's 2% grocery stores category is broader than AmEx's US supermarket category.

BofA does list the relevant matching description of the merchant for the MCC on the website transactions, but does not expose the actual MCC code.

The card will continue to earn 1% elsewhere and that is not included in the $2500 per quarter spend limit.

There does not appear to be any limitation on location of merchants worldwide to earn rewards as long as the merchant is properly categorized (unlike AmEx). Those customers who had the old Schwab 2% Invest First Visa issued by a BofA affiliate that did not otherwise cancel or proactively change the card when it was discontinued may have received a BofA Cash Rewards card thats does not have an added FTF (beyond Visa's embedded FTF rate) which is different than the card currently offered to customers. This version of the card offers international reward benefits for those customers.

There is a limit of $2500 in 2% or 3% category spending per quarter that will receive the bonus rate. Rewards can be redeemed at face value for any amount at any time. As long as account is in good standing, rewards do not expire. The only reason to hold rewards would be if you plan to qualify for Preferred Rewards and wish to get the relationship bonus rate for older spending when you do redeem the balance.

BofA customer bonuses:
All BofA deposit customers can receive at least a 10% bonus when they earn their reward if their total banking relationship indicates that they have a BofA checking or savings account. This is usually associated by having a BofA online account which has both the deposit and Cash Rewards card on the same login.

Customers who have signed up for Preferred Rewards that requires a deposit relationship balance can currently receive a 25% to 75% redemption bonus. This can tremendously increase the value of the 3% and 2% categories when compared to other cards.
Information on the thresholds for that program are located here: https://www.bankofamerica.com/preferred-rewards/
Print Wikipost

Bank of America Cash Rewards - 3% category qualifying options

Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Although to be fair, many/most Americans don't travel outside the country, so they don't really have a need for a no-FTF card. Plus, it's a feature they can use to get people to pony up AFs on higher end cards.
The BofA Premium Rewards is that card. It's pretty good and has no FTF, though it maxes out at 3.5% for travel and dining instead of 5.25% like the Cash Rewards does (albeit requiring two cards to accomplish that). The 2.625% all-spending "category" is the primary lure of the Premium Rewards, in my opinion. 3.5% vs 5.25% isn't going to mean much if the big-ticket items like flights and hotels can be pre-booked from the US to avoid FTFs. Then you're only suffering the 3.5% rate for in-country spending.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:04 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by trikotret
Too bad this card has a 2500 quarterly cap. I can easily go over that cap if I don't pay attention
I go over it even when I am paying attention. BofA needs to provide a meter graphic like they do for the airline incidental fees for the Premium Rewards card - so the user knows exactly where they're at regarding the $2,500. As it is now you have to try to piece it together on the page designed to help you decide which 3% category to switch to, which itself is misleading. Or... maybe they want us going over the limit unintentionally.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by tangfish
I go over it even when I am paying attention. BofA needs to provide a meter graphic like they do for the airline incidental fees for the Premium Rewards card - so the user knows exactly where they're at regarding the $2,500. As it is now you have to try to piece it together on the page designed to help you decide which 3% category to switch to, which itself is misleading. Or... maybe they want us going over the limit unintentionally.
I agree they need to have a meter or at least include the 2% category in their monthly purchases for other categories.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by mrkenneth
Thank you. Just curious if it has been tested.
Tested and it doesn't count.
mrkenneth likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by iusb
Tested and it doesn't count.
Thanks! Was hoping it would not be hardcoded.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:57 am

Curious, with the Platinum rewards card can you get rewards on foreign spend, i.e. do you get the same points when you spend outside the country? Also, Can these points be redeemed in any amount for statement credits or are they only 1:1 for travel credits, a little confused on this part.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by choff5507
Curious, with the Platinum rewards card can you get rewards on foreign spend, i.e. do you get the same points when you spend outside the country? Also, Can these points be redeemed in any amount for statement credits or are they only 1:1 for travel credits, a little confused on this part.
Why would you use this card outside the US? There's a foreign fee for each charge. I used BofA travel card outside country with waived foreign fees and still earned points as if I used card in the US
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:16 pm

Sorry maybe I mean the premium rewards card? The one without a FTF. Just didn't know if it was neutered outside of the US
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:17 pm

Sorry maybe I mean the premium rewards card? The one without a FTF. Just didn't know if it was neutered outside of the US
You should still earn points is if you were in the us.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:29 pm

Great, what about the redemption 1:1 for statement credit? I ask because I thought on their website somewhere the redemption rates were different for example if you wanted a gift card, or statement credit.

Also, is there any cell phone protection with this card?

Last edited by choff5507; Jan 20, 2020 at 12:29 pm Reason: Added question
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:38 pm

Also, is there any cell phone protection with this card?
The Mastercard version of the Preferred Rewards card has it. The Visa versions don't if I recall correctly. Since you were just talking about the Premium Rewards, it doesn't either. BofA seems a bit stingy on this benefit.
choff5507 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: Several
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Star_Guy
data point: Platinum Honors

paid my mortgage via Plastiq and got 5.25% cash back

PQ *SUNTRUST MORTGAGE - CA
12/16/2019 12/17/2019 Pending $1,195.62

BASE: PQ *SUNTRUST MORTGAGE$11.96

CATEGORY BONUS: for online shopping purchase$23.91

RELATIONSHIP BONUS: Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors - 75% Bonus$26.90

Reward $62.77
WHOA! That might be one of the most useful data points I've seen. Granted, you're capped on the Cash Rewards card at $2,500/quarter, but if your Plat. Honors, you still get 2.65% back on everyday purchases for the Premium Rewards card without a cap netting 0.15%. That's not even $4 on a $2,500/month mortgage payment, but it's still an intriguing thought.

Also, has anyone used the Cash Rewards card to pay for aviation fuel like 100LL self service or from an FBO? I know BoA has very liberal merchant code categorizations, but I haven't seen any data points on that. If I could get over 5% back on fuel for the plane, I might fly a little more often.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine

Also, has anyone used the Cash Rewards card to pay for aviation fuel like 100LL self service or from an FBO? I know BoA has very liberal merchant code categorizations, but I haven't seen any data points on that. If I could get over 5% back on fuel for the plane, I might fly a little more often.
Well, we already put the fuel category MCCs in the wiki. If you have an existing transaction from another Visa or MC that doesn't hide the category, you could see if the MCC matches. BofA does offer more liberal codes in this category and others than other banks. Unless the fuel dispenser is using some sort of generic business MCC or is coding under the airport itself, I expect it would count.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:48 pm

MCC 5983 explicitly includes aviation fuel, so you should be good to fly unless it’s coded as something else, like aviation maintenance services.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:47 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Is it limiter to 2500 idd spent or to 2500 cashback?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.