FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Denizen - borderless banking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1938538-denizen-borderless-banking.html)

paris1000 Nov 1, 2018 7:48 pm

Denizen - borderless banking

Anyone using Denizen?

https://www.denizen.io/features/

I established an account, linked it to a U.S. checking acct, received the free $100 sign-on bonus, and will use the debit card for the first time when traveling in Europe in two months. I figure I'll mainly use it to withdraw cash when needed, and thereby reduce the amount of cash that I bring from home. Will be interesting to compare exchange rate with that of my other bank cards and commercial exchanges.

tmiw Nov 1, 2018 11:52 pm

Interesting product. However, the stuff I've found online about them seems to imply that anyone who applies now would not be considered a "founding member", which could be a problem later on--especially since the site doesn't seem to mention what non-founding members lose out on and how much they'd need to pay.

Of course, it's possible that they extended the "founding member" period too.

(BTW it also took a fair bit of digging to find their FAQ, which I'm not sure really answers my questions.)

paris1000 Nov 2, 2018 9:13 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30383749)
the site doesn't seem to mention what non-founding members lose out on and how much they'd need to pay.

I also thought it was odd that they mention 'Founding Member' implying significant benefits but then not mention any details. If it's just about the $100, then I'd call it a 'limited-time new customer bonus'.

I'm still not sure I see a tremendous utility with this account/service. For dining and travel expenses, I'm still going to use a no-fee card to get points. For an ex-pat paying rent and utility bills, for example, it seems a local bank account would be used (if not even required). There's an argument that Denizen provides access to your cash at a competitive exchange rate, but I'm skeptical as to how significant of an issue that is for most folks.

tmiw Nov 2, 2018 10:09 am

Originally Posted by paris1000 (Post 30385119)
I also thought it was odd that they mention 'Founding Member' implying significant benefits but then not mention any details. If it's just about the $100, then I'd call it a 'limited-time new customer bonus'.

I'm still not sure I see a tremendous utility with this account/service. For dining and travel expenses, I'm still going to use a no-fee card to get points. For an ex-pat paying rent and utility bills, for example, it seems a local bank account would be used (if not even required). There's an argument that Denizen provides access to your cash at a competitive exchange rate, but I'm skeptical as to how significant of an issue that is for most folks.

I would think the fact that there's an IBAN number would allow bill payments in Europe, no? Then again, you'd likely be getting paid in local currency into a local bank account anyway as you said.

Anyway, one plus that I can see is that the debit card is contactless. However, based on the stuff in the FAQ I found, it behaves no differently than other US-issued debit cards when inserted--not to mention that you can just use a mobile wallet if you want to tap to pay for stuff with other US cards. (Though since this service is available in other countries too, I wonder if the stuff in there about the debit card is 100% accurate. I would think people elsewhere wouldn't be okay with having to sign for stuff.)

croberts134 Nov 2, 2018 10:17 am

I've been trying to sign up, but I just get stuck in an endless loop where the "Get Started" button just redirects to the main page.

patrick.barnes Nov 4, 2018 5:33 pm

Looks like Revolut but available to the US.

I think Revolut is coming back soon.

TransferWise have a product called a “borderless account” which provides local bank details in a bunch of countries. The sending fee is the main issue with those.

gregorius Nov 4, 2018 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by croberts134 (Post 30385379)
I've been trying to sign up, but I just get stuck in an endless loop where the "Get Started" button just redirects to the main page.

Back in the summer when I applied, it was mobile app only - the website is supposed to redirect you to your respective device's app store to download it and apply in the app.

With only a US address, I got a non-contactless Visa debit card without an IBAN account.

tmiw Nov 4, 2018 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by gregorius (Post 30393416)
With only a US address, I got a non-contactless Visa debit card without an IBAN account.

It's possible that contactless is a recent addition, but considering that FAQ mentions nothing about it and that PIN isn't used for "credit" transactions, I'm not sure this is likely. It's also an indication that the exact features you get depend on which bank your account ultimately ends up with--which should be made way more clear than it currently is.

(And if Americans are basically going to end up with something not much different than the Charles Schwab bank account/debit card anyway, I'm not sure what the point of signing up for this is. Maybe if it was guaranteed that you got an IBAN, if nothing else.)

inY Nov 15, 2018 3:07 pm

In order to link accounts, Denizen wants user name and password. Haha no.

mia Nov 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by inY (Post 30433882)
In order to link accounts, Denizen wants user name and password. Haha no.

This part?

You will be prompted to verify your external account bank credentials. This is for security purposes, and we do not see or store this information.
It sounds as if you could use a throwaway password during the verification step, and immediately change it.

inY Dec 5, 2018 10:04 am

Customer support just asked me:

We will also need your help with verifying your SSN. please reply to this email with an image of one of the following documents:
  1. Social Security Card
  2. Filed US Tax Return
  3. Other official documentation from the Social security Administration confirming your name and SSN

I've never been asked to prove SSN to open a bank account. And they have no way of knowing if a tax return has been filed or not, so if I lied about my SSN I could simply enter the same SSN into Form 1040 and send it off. There is literally no added security here.
The really bad part is they want it over e-mail. Admittedly my information has been breached more times than I can count by now, but this isn't helping.

Denizen is either an elaborate phishing scam or incompetent at data security. And too cheap to use ChexSystems?

Edit: I told them off, they said they verified it another way. And my account is now open.

eponymous_coward Jan 23, 2019 5:52 pm

I grabbed their account earlier in 2018, got the $100 bonus. It's great for using it for ATMs outside the US; I got rebated the withdrawal fees charged me in Mexico.

I haven't used it in Thailand yet (that's the acid test, FWIW Fidelity rebates ATM fees there on the Cash Management Account), but having another debit card option for using to get cash from ATMs outside the US with no fx fee/ATM fee is always handy. Between this, Fidelity and Capital One I think I'm set.