Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

What's the point in using Discover any longer?

What's the point in using Discover any longer?

Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
5% cashback on a single category at a time, with a limit. Other than that, 1% back on everything else.

My Citi 2% card gets me twice as much (duh). I use my Discover for the 5% category and Citi for everything else. $1000/yr is worth more to me than a nice app/website.

It was my first card, so it helps my credit score, but it's not really competitive anymore.
OP asked what the point of using Discover card is nowadays, and several of us points out it's great for 5% cash back categories, esp as purchase protection doesn't really apply to some of those categories. No one here is advocating using Discover as an everyday card otherwise. Hopefully it should be obvious to everyone that the Discover card is not a good everyday card. FWIW I think there are other AF free card that give even better rewards than Citi DC.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:04 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by happychic
OP asked what the point of using Discover card is nowadays, and several of us points out it's great for 5% cash back categories, esp as purchase protection doesn't really apply to some of those categories. No one here is advocating using Discover as an everyday card otherwise. Hopefully it should be obvious to everyone that the Discover card is not a good everyday card. FWIW I think there are other AF free card that give even better rewards than Citi DC.
I think Discover was a pioneer with the 5% cash back and categories. That is what it is known for. But new cards just bury it. Even the Discover Deals are just so-so.

It is the competition.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Discover had (has?) the best cash back for Apple purchases, if you're into their products. Of course, now that there's no warranty protection, I'm not sure it's worth the extra cash back.

(Then again, AppleCare is pretty good. Maybe the CC warranty protection isn't actually necessary.)
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: SPG,HILTON
Originally Posted by hurnik
Yup, use it for the 5%, and then redeem for the "extra" gift cards which can get another 20% discount.
+1

good return and extra discount on gift cards , lots of deals . CLI better and easier then Cap One ............ YMMV

DONT LIKE CAP ONE
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I think Discover will need to do something to relaunch its brand.

They had the advantage on rotating categories, but have allowed Chase and others to do a better job in those areas.

They had some interesting Discover Deals, but AmEx and even BofA better highlight those programs.

They had good technology from freezing card to a very user friendly website, but all of those features have been copycat elsewhere.

They introduced discounted gift cards, but that seems to be a regular thing for many issuers as well.

I know they are thinking about relaunching their banking solutions, but I'd like to see them do the following:

-Rethink their rebate program. Is it more 5% categories or better ways to make a current reward balance go farther than just at face value.
-Every card should have contactless chip. I think Capital One is doing this right. While they tend to be very difficult for giving out cards, they are making their cards easier to use and sometimes, very interesting.
-Help make the card more useful internationally. They have some of the pieces, but still don't have it configured right.

It does seem they don't want people to buy durable goods with their Discover card. Okay, then what should people use their cards for?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
-Every card should have contactless chip. I think Capital One is doing this right. While they tend to be very difficult for giving out cards, they are making their cards easier to use and sometimes, very interesting.
Considering the baggage contactless has in the US, this may be problematic without significant marketing (especially since as mentioned in this thread, even customer service agents at major banks seem to want to discourage people from it).

However, I wouldn't mind extra points/cash back for NFC based payments, regardless of how they're done.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by comptalk
Are you guys still using your Discover Card?
Yes I use it for the 5x categories and I consider their customer service on par or better then Chase SP/R cards. There are better cards for large purchases though outside of their 5x categories and $1500 quarterly limit and have been IMO for quite some time. If into pure simplicity and not wanting to fool with points and miles the CITI double-cash card provides twice the value as just one example.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Sep 18, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
In doing some research on merchants bypassing Visa/MC for another thread, I saw that before Chase and Visa made their 10-year ChaseNet deal, Chase was looking at options including buying Discover.

I think again, the merchant business issues that led to the creation of Discover/Novus via Sears are fresh in mind again. This time though, I am unsure what value Discover can offer except a pre-built network that is not V/MC. Exactly what would that network offer to merchants to drive business there? I have never heard of Discover offering a lower discount rate except for some marketing/merchant ad support. I wouldn't be surprise if Discover actually shares more revenue with the card processor than V/MC to ensure they are auto-enrolling merchants for other networks.

Worse, the consumer proposition (what started this thread) is not clear. While I think AmEx still has some interesting cards (relaunced WF Propel and some of the co-branded Platinum cards), I haven't seen a co-branded Discover card that was a must-have.

Perhaps Discover is gearing up for that acquisition announcement. What I would guess though is the banking laws that Amazon and Walmart have found problematic will preclude a merchant from buying Discover (aside from the fact that they would likely face the same problems Discover had with the Sears image gaining acceptance. I remember what a big deal it was when JCP started taking Discover). I think another bank is likely, but they also have to weigh if they are really ready to step away from V/MC otherwise it will not be a great asset. I think a good fit might be Capital One especially if they can iron out some of the international aspects. I am unsure though of V/MC allowing a card to be ran on a different network internationally, probably not. There was also indication that Visa was making a play to get Capital One signed more exclusively. I know a few people had their MC switched to Visa which is not always an easy switch, but that seems to have mellowed in recent months and it wasn't everyone.

So, the worse thing is for Discover to act in limbo while these M&A negotiations are happening, but aside from cutting costs (removing coverages) to make their balance sheets look better, what else are they doing?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
I have never heard of Discover offering a lower discount rate except for some marketing/merchant ad support.
For what it's worth: https://www.helcim.com/us/discover-china-unionpay/
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like Discover Deals is going away too: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/disco...ber-31st-2018/

Hopefully this means that regular earn is going to get a massive improvement, or else there truly won't be any point in Discover.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
Looks like Discover Deals is going away too: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/disco...ber-31st-2018/

Hopefully this means that regular earn is going to get a massive improvement, or else there truly won't be any point in Discover.
No point in Discover just because they're losing a shopping portal???

Lots of people use Discover only for the 5% rotating categories, nothing more, and I don't see how any changes around the edges would affect those people.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sdsearch

Lots of people use Discover only for the 5% rotating categories, nothing more, and I don't see how any changes around the edges would affect those people.
Agreed. We use our Discover only for the 5% bonus and the occasional Discover Deal. They are our longest held cards,so unless they begin assessing an AF that would not be offset , we have no intention of cancelling.

One of ours was automatically converted to an IT card, so for the last year we have earned 10% on purchases on that card
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch

It's not just Discover Deals going away as much as everything else being nerfed too. But we'll see; maybe there'll be changes to offset these.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hurnik
Yup, use it for the 5%, and then redeem for the "extra" gift cards which can get another 20% discount.

My primary "cashback" card is my Barclay Arrival + Elite card and I redeem for "travel" so I think that's 2.05% cashback.
I don't have the Citi Double card yet, otherwise I'd probably use that since I don't think it has an AF, whereas the Barclay has the $95 or whatever AF (and I don't think anyone's ever gotten them to waive it).

Also have the Chase Freedom I use for 5% "cashback" but use the UR instead.
If you get 2.05% back for travel but pay an annual $95 fee, your cash back is actually a lot less than 2%. I use the Citi Double Cash MC since it has no annual fee. I'm too lazy to try to remember different categories for different cards. I do have the Citi AA Exec but that is mostly for AC membership and I have the IHG MC but that annual fee is offset by the annual free night.

Originally Posted by happychic
FWIW I think there are other AF free card that give even better rewards than Citi DC.
I'm curious, which do you think is better?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Redhead
If you get 2.05% back for travel but pay an annual $95 fee, your cash back is actually a lot less than 2%. I use the Citi Double Cash MC since it has no annual fee. I'm too lazy to try to remember different categories for different cards. I do have the Citi AA Exec but that is mostly for AC membership and I have the IHG MC but that annual fee is offset by the annual free night.

I'm curious, which do you think is better?
I completely agree that the "better" deal is the Citi Double cash back. But trying to stay under 5/24 here.
Hopefully before next year's AF is due, I'll be well under 5/24 and get the Citi card and use that instead.
Redhead likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.