Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

What's the point in using Discover any longer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Since Discover dropped extended warranty and price protection, does anyone see any reason to really use the Discover Card any longer? I actually used the extended warranty when some items stopped working. Pretty pissed that it's no longer around. I like the 5% CB, but I care more about the extended warranty. I've since moved my large purchases to AMEX, Chase and Citi respectfully.

Are you guys still using your Discover Card?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I've never used Cash Over, but I always thought being able to get cash back at the POS without having it count as a cash advance was nice in an emergency.

There's also the linkup with the Diners Club, JCB and UnionPay networks for international use. Of course, using Discover overseas is very much YMMV.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:24 pm

Yup, use it for the 5%, and then redeem for the "extra" gift cards which can get another 20% discount.

My primary "cashback" card is my Barclay Arrival + Elite card and I redeem for "travel" so I think that's 2.05% cashback.
I don't have the Citi Double card yet, otherwise I'd probably use that since I don't think it has an AF, whereas the Barclay has the $95 or whatever AF (and I don't think anyone's ever gotten them to waive it).

Also have the Chase Freedom I use for 5% "cashback" but use the UR instead.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:54 pm

After they took away the Enterprise certificates, there seems to be no point. Discover is strictly 5% cashback, no way to get more (other than useless gift cards).
Sometimes their categories overlap, and so I'd use the Freedom to transfer to UR, or if restaurants (like now) just use another card that gives me 2x anyway.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by tmiw
There's also the linkup with the Diners Club, JCB and UnionPay networks for international use. Of course, using Discover overseas is very much YMMV.
I've only been able to use it in London at a few merchants that had the Discover logo on display. Elsewhere, even if the Diners logo was present, I wasn't able to use it.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I've only been able to use it in London at a few merchants that had the Discover logo on display. Elsewhere, even if the Diners logo was present, I wasn't able to use it.
Was it a problem with the chip being read or did swiping not work either?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by tmiw
Was it a problem with the chip being read or did swiping not work either?
Neither worked.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:20 pm

There are some combinations with Discover that will yield some nice returns besides the 5% categories. They have Discover deals (extra cash back) at stores like Saks, Nike, LEGO, etc. that come in handy during the holidays or gifts. You also have some good redemptions on certain GCs that can sometimes be as high as 25% off the face value of the GC. You have gas cards for Shell at 7% off face value, which is not a lot but when combined with other multipliers can turn into a decent return. It's not a daily driver, but if you can pick your spots you can get some decent earnings over the course of a year.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I have cut way back since these changes rolled out.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by comptalk
Since Discover dropped extended warranty and price protection, does anyone see any reason to really use the Discover Card any longer?
Many of their 5% categories (which is all I ever use my Discover card for) are ones for which extended warranty and price protection don't even apply. Extended warranty on groceries? Price protection on restaurant meals? Extended warranty on books or music I buy from, or movies I rent online at, Amazon? I've never heard of such things, so that's why the loss of these is something i never noticed anyway.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
I love my Discover card. 5% cashback, no annual fee, awesome app & website. The Discover Deals can be good, if you were planning on spending on the specific vendor anyway. I always redeem mine for Shell cards. A lot of gas stations have different prices for cash vs credit card. Using Shell giftcards count as cash in this sense: I can get same price as cash. Right there can be an additional saving of 2-3%. I'll take what I can get.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by happychic
I love my Discover card. 5% cashback, no annual fee, awesome app & website..
5% cashback on a single category at a time, with a limit. Other than that, 1% back on everything else.

My Citi 2% card gets me twice as much (duh). I use my Discover for the 5% category and Citi for everything else. $1000/yr is worth more to me than a nice app/website.

It was my first card, so it helps my credit score, but it's not really competitive anymore.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Grounded
I just go for the easy categories where I don’t care about ancillary benefits. 5% on restaurants or something at amazon that I’ll never return. Anything else goes on Amex or citi double cash even if the return isn’t good.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by MrPink
I just go for the easy categories where I don’t care about ancillary benefits. 5% on restaurants or something at amazon that I’ll never return. Anything else goes on Amex or citi double cash even if the return isn’t good.
I last used my Discover 5 years ago.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:09 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by MrPink
I've not done much with restaurants this quarter. The worst one for me.

Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
I last used my Discover 5 years ago.
It is my oldest card. So I just have to use it from time to time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.