Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

What protection can a credit card offer for self-connecting with different airlines??

What protection can a credit card offer for self-connecting with different airlines??

Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:56 am
Original Poster

What protection can a credit card offer for self-connecting with different airlines/PNRs?

Basically your on your own is you book the legs of your airfare separately : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2016-a-50.html

But some people seem to have successfully claimed with their credit card in case of a missed self-connect. see for example the comments of this blog post : https://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2017...ent-3581587122

Is it something possible? Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:41 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Reference(s) to CC protection seem a little muddled from what I read - most posters seem to be referring to buying Travel Interruption insurance.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:51 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Recent discussion here. Start at post 728 and read to end:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...l#post29988908
emilio911 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by emilio911
What protection can a credit card offer for self-connecting with different airlines/PNRs?
what protection are you looking for?

as mentioned in the other threads, citi prestige does have it but very restrictive.

and given citi's trip delay shenanigans, don't count on much
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...y-shenanigans/
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29794066-post468.html

(pdf) https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/...R20_FINAL.ashx

Covered Reasons: Travel or Weather Issues:

Severe weather or natural disaster causes all travel to or from the
Covered Travelers Trip destination to stop for at least 24 hours.

OR

The Covered Traveler(s) misses more than half of their Trip
because of missed connections,
delayed departures, denied
boarding, traffic accidents on their way to a departure, or lost or
stolen passports
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
what protection are you looking for?

as mentioned in the other threads, citi prestige does have it but very restrictive.
I'm wondering if, under trip interruption insurance, they will foot the bill for a walk-up fare in case I miss the second flight (and the second airline refuses to accommodate).

From what I read in the T&Cs and in the other thread, the credit card insurances don't mind if the the tickets have been bought together or not. However, what I should be looking for in the T&Cs is coverage for "common carrier delay" in order to cover most grounds, and not only "weather".

And yes, I'm not trusting Citi whatsoever. I'm still waiting for the insurance regulators to act against them since they tarnish the whole insurance industry.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have yet to see a policy that satisfies what most people would need. There is generally a pretty low limit on 'missed connections' (which card companies typically don't define). To give you an example, it's 300 on the Uk Plat Amex and €200 on the German Plat Amex.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

I'm wondering if, under trip interruption insurance, they will foot the bill for a walk-up fare in case I miss the second flight (and the second airline refuses to accommodate).
I have yet to see that. I think it is simply too expensive to provide this and would lead, ultimately, to noticeable behaviour-changing patterns of the insured.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have yet to see a policy that satisfies what most people would need. There is generally a pretty low limit on 'missed connections' (which card companies typically don't define). To give you an example, it's 300 on the Uk Plat Amex and 200 on the German Plat Amex.
Are you talking "trip interruption" or "trip delay"? I think the limits are higher for "trip interruption".
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Would be helpful if OP provided the specific details of interest to him. Otherwise, we're left speculating as to whether he is worried about a new $75 NK ticket or $10K for EK Apartment !

I have never seen a policy, but cannot say that I have read every policy in existence, which would fully reimburse, without limit, a new ticket when one no shows for that ticket as the result of late arrival on a prior ticket. This is particularly because what is described here are not "connections" and thus not covered as msconnects.

By way of example, the cheapest ticket JFK-LHR on a legacy carrier tonight is $2,774 and typically, the best I have seen is $500 for travel interruptions of 12+ hours. There may be better deals to be had, but that isn't the purpose of the example.

When researching the issue, here are the factors:

1. How much are you saving by purchasing separate tickets?
2. How much extra time are you spending at your transfer point over what you would book on a connection and what is that time worth to you?
3. What incidental expenses will you incur, e.g. hotel and meals?
4. How does the policy define "connection"?
5. If there is coverage at all, what are its conditions, e.g., dollar limits and delay timing?

Don't obsess about CC's. Just because you may need to purchase a specific one-off policy for a specific trip, does not make it a bad deal. Don't get tied up in a CC you don't need to save a few bucks.

Finally, remember that AA does protect on AA-AA and AA-OW separate tickets and that CX protects on CX-CX. Other US carriers may be helpful (stressing "may").
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:57 am
Original Poster

I have yet to see that. I think it is simply too expensive to provide this and would lead, ultimately, to noticeable behaviour-changing patterns of the insured.
Not sure about that, insurances are still requiring 3+ hours delays. So, you need a 4 hour layover (to be safe). Not everyone is going to start booking 4-hour layovers.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are booking less than 4-hour transfers on separate tickets, you will learn to be quite sorry for that.

MCT is simply an air carrier's risk tolerance measure. If your risk tolerance is that low, you don't need insurance !
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Would be helpful if OP provided the specific details of interest to him. Otherwise, we're left speculating as to whether he is worried about a new $75 NK ticket or $10K for EK Apartment !
Yes, the whole point of buying on separate tickets is to save money. So, the $10K for EK would not be for my lifestyle. However, the $75 is also out of the way, since as you said, the cheapest walk-up fare cross-Atlantic is about $2000.

Originally Posted by Often1
I have never seen a policy, but cannot say that I have read every policy in existence, which would fully reimburse, without limit, a new ticket when one no shows for that ticket as the result of late arrival on a prior ticket. This is particularly because what is described here are not "connections" and thus not covered as msconnects.
Are you sure you're talking "trip interruption" here? "connections" and "misconnect" sound more like a "trip delay" policy language to me. When talking "trip interruption", each separate airfare would be separate travel. Then the policy would talk about bringing you to "your next trip destination". Of course, all this would be if "common carrier delays" are covered.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:16 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Not sure about that, insurances are still requiring 3+ hours delays. So, you need a 4 hour layover (to be safe). Not everyone is going to start booking 4-hour layovers.
Some of us have Without insurance. But I've done an hour and a half connection as well. And got burned once when a UAx flight went MX.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:22 am
Suspended

Are you talking "trip interruption" or "trip delay"? I think the limits are higher for "trip interruption".
To Amex these are the same. Different is 'cutting your trip short' which requires some cataclysmic event to have taken place.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:24 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
To Amex these are the same. ...
Note that cards issued by American Express (USA) do not include travel insurance that would cover these types of events.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.