Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any US mid grade/range travel card(s) that covers baggage fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R

Does anyone know if there's an US credit card out there that has the following?

1. Annual fee of $0 - $200.
2. Covers/reimburses airline baggage fees of $80 to $200, don't even need others.
3. Not limited to 1 airline.
4. Covers bags for Spirit.

I wouldn't even care about earning and rewards, they will most likely be pure gravy to me. Most cards are either airline specific or have some restrictions, I was looking at following but all have certain limitations

-BOA Premium Rewards - doesn't cover charge from NK (this card comes really close).
-AmEx Premier Rewards Gold - need to designate to 1 carrier.
-USB Altitude Reserve - covers more than I need, not to mention the hoop you need to jump to get the card.
-Citi Prestige - already have Premier and don't need the other perks that you pay annual fee for.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Lowest-level minion
The PenFed Pathfinder Rewards AmEx has no AF and gives you a $100 airline incidental credit each year. Unlike the AmEx PRG/Plat, it's not tied to one airline (and their terms say Spirit is one of the airlines covered!). You do need to join the CU first, but I don't believe their membership requirements are too hard to meet.

Personally I'd prefer the FNBO Travelite, but it's almost never available for non-targeted applicants.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by vincewy
Does anyone know if there's an US credit card out there that has the following?

1. Annual fee of $0 - $200.
2. Covers/reimburses airline baggage fees of $80 to $200, don't even need others.
3. Not limited to 1 airline.
4. Covers bags for Spirit.

I wouldn't even care about earning and rewards, they will most likely be pure gravy to me. Most cards are either airline specific or have some restrictions, I was looking at following but all have certain limitations

-BOA Premium Rewards - doesn't cover charge from NK (this card comes really close).
-AmEx Premier Rewards Gold - need to designate to 1 carrier.
-USB Altitude Reserve - covers more than I need, not to mention the hoop you need to jump to get the card.
-Citi Prestige - already have Premier and don't need the other perks that you pay annual fee for.
If you can get the USB Altitude Reserve (I was eligible because I had the USB Club Carlson card), you should reconsider it. For the $400 AF, you automatically get $325/year reimbursed for "travel" charges, be they baggage fees, airline tickets, hotels, rental cars. All travel charges earn 3 points/$, and points can be redeemed for 1.5˘ each on travel. And with free primary car-rental loss/damage insurance, four Priority Pass lounge visits/year, and twelve GoGo wi-fi passes/year, all for a net AF of $75, I think the card is a very good value.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gregorius
The PenFed Pathfinder Rewards AmEx has no AF and gives you a $100 airline incidental credit each year. Unlike the AmEx PRG/Plat, it's not tied to one airline (and their terms say Spirit is one of the airlines covered!). You do need to join the CU first, but I don't believe their membership requirements are too hard to meet.

Personally I'd prefer the FNBO Travelite, but it's almost never available for non-targeted applicants.
I know of PenFed and it's Pathfinder Rewards, you can make a contribution to a military organization if I read it correctly in the past.

I found Travelite here, so technically you have to be targeted to be approved?

https://www.travelitecard.com/

Originally Posted by guv1976
And with free primary car-rental loss/damage insurance
Wow, I missed out this one and thought only Chase CSP/CSR has it, then I'll definitely try to get it.

AFAIK, USB is very conservative and discrete when it comes to issuing new cards (I noticed this when I was applying for mortgage with them). I do have mortgage with them along with Raddison Visa but they do not automatically approve credit if you have opened too many accounts recently.

Last edited by vincewy; Jul 29, 2018 at 12:07 pm
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Lowest-level minion
Originally Posted by vincewy
I know of PenFed and it's Pathfinder Rewards, you can make a contribution to a military organization if I read it correctly in the past.

I found Travelite here, so technically you have to be targeted to be approved?

https://www.travelitecard.com/
Yup, nowadays you need to be targeted and get a mailer to even apply for the Travelite. In 2014 they had public applications for the card with a $99 AF, and in 2017 they had public applications for the card with no AF (which is when I got it). No telling if/when it'll be back, but the PenFed card is very similar.

If you can take advantage of the 3x on mobile wallet purchases, the Altitude Reserve is a sweet card to have.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Well with introduction of AmEx Gold this will meet my need for now.

It basically

1. Covers incidental charges of $100, since the only carrier I fly within US that I would need to pay for bag is NK, this works well.
2. 4 MR points per dollars with US supermarkets and dining, basically covering all the gaps other than travel and gas.

The annual fee is a bit high but given the extra MR points given I'll at least break even with this card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.