Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Credit cards that pay for Global Entry Fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton

My Capital one card paid my global entry fee but I was trying to see if any other cards paid the fee for my husband. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
American Express
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Citi Prestige, FNBO TravElite Amex, BofA Premium Rewards Visa, USBank: Altitude Reserve and FlexPerks Gold, Citi AA Executive, Citi Expedia+ Voyager, probably some others
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:52 pm

From this site,

SunTrust Travel Rewards Credit Card **No annual fee the first year, $89 annual fee thereafter**
• First National Bank TravElite American Express® Card (Global Entry only) ** This is a no annual fee card but is available by invitation only**
• Chase United Explorer Card * *$0 annual fee for the first year, $95 annual fee thereafter**
• Barclay AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MasterCard (Global Entry only)
• Chase Sapphire Reserve
• Citi Prestige Card
• Citi /AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
Platinum Card from American Express
• Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN
• Centurion Card from American Express
• American Express Corporate Gold Card
• American Express Corporate Platinum Card
• U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card
• U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite® Card (exclusive to U.S. Bank customers)
• SKYPASS Select Visa Signature card
• UBS Visa Infinite (Global Entry only)
• Bank of America® Premium Rewards® Credit Card

These cards reimburse TSA Precheck or Global Entry fees as part of their annual travel fee credit benefit:
• Expedia+ Voyager Card from Citi
• Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card (Global Entry only; must call to request the statement credit)
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Which AMEX card?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Platinum/Centurion, plus Corporate Gold.

The application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre is available to American Express Gold Corporate Card Members, Consumer Platinum Card® Members, Corporate Platinum Card Members, Business Platinum Card Members, Consumer Centurion® Members, Corporate Centurion® Members, and Business Centurion® Members.

The benefit is also available to Additional Card Members on eligible Consumer and Business Card accounts. To receive the statement credit Additional Card Members must charge the application fee to the eligible Additional Card account
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Citi Chairman Card
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Chase IHG Premier
BMWBig6 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by mphall
Which AMEX card?
In addition to those Amex cards mentioned above, the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant by Amex also covers it.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I recently had a poor experience with Citi. I have the AAdvantage Executive card and used it to pay for my daughter's GE application fee back in 2015 (I applied for mine before Citi started giving statement credits for Trusted Travelers programs application fees). She's an authorized user of my card.

Fast forward four and a half years. She used my same card to apply for her GE renewal 11 months prior to the expiration date. She applied early because of the reported backlog of approving initial and renewal GE applications. The CBP allows GE members to apply for renewal as early as 364 days before the expiration date. Of course, her renewal was approved in less than a week.

I did not see a credit on my next billing statement. I called customer service and was told that I was eligible to receive the application fee credit only once every five years. That I last received it in August 2015 - correct according to my statements, even though the charge was recorded in April 2015 - and that I won't be eligible for another credit until August 2020. I argued that this was a renewal of the same membership for which they previously reimbursed me the application fee, that the CBP permits applying for renewal within a year of the expiration date and that Citi's policy is inconsistent with the CBP rules. I was put on hold forever for him to consult with a supervisor. My request for reimbursement was denied.

I asked to be transferred to the supervisor. He repeated the same thing that the CSR told me. He added that I'll be eligible for the credit in August 2020. I asked him to clarify whether at that time I will get the credit for this transaction. He said no, it will have to be for another application. I expressed my displeasure. I told him that I have several credit cards that reimburse me for GE application fees, that we would have used a different card had I known that their policy was inconsistent with the CBP's practice of permitting early GE renewal and asked if they wanted to lose my business, $30,000+ a year, over $100 statement credit. That seemed to have done the trick. I was offered $100 "courtesy" credit which did appear on my next statement.

For that I had to spend approximately half an hour on the phone.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:01 pm

I mean, congrats on twisting Citi's arm to get the credit, but, and I could be wrong, I don't see many people agreeing with your grievance on this one. I read your story twice and still don't understand the complaint. No spin will make me agree that a once-per-five-year credit being denied when you attempted to use it twice in four and a half years is cause for some sort of compensation for wrong doing. Sorry.

I'll have to try that with Chase when they don't let me use 2x $300 CSR travel credits in the same cardmember year to offset my lounge membership. I'll argue that I'm just renewing the very same lounge membership that they reimbursed $300 for only 10˝ months ago.
bgriffin and mathprof like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Hyatt Explorist, United Premier Silver
I agree, I would never expect a credit based on that. My global entry is good for over 5 1/2 years. I assume that's based on when I applied for it? I got it in October of this year and it expires on my birthday in June 2025.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:52 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by holyPockets
I read your story twice and still don't understand the complaint.
My complaint is that Citi's reimbursement policies should be aligned with with the CBP Global Entry renewal eligibility rule.
How do I renew my Global Entry membership?

You become eligible to renew your membership one year before the program expiration.
Originally Posted by holyPockets
I'll have to try that with Chase when they don't let me use 2x $300 CSR travel credits in the same cardmember year to offset my lounge membership. I'll argue that I'm just renewing the very same lounge membership that they reimbursed $300 for only 10˝ months ago.
Sorry, this is false equivalency. A lounge membership renewal does not involve a potentially lengthy approval process. Some FlyerTalkers have reported waits of up to 180 days to receive conditional approval of their renewal applications. Many FlyerTalk members and most travel writers recommend applying to renew GE memberships as early as allowed.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:07 pm

Your complain can be simplified by saying that 5 years between reimbursements makes the benefit difficult to use. I agree. The simpler solution is to use one of the many other cards that use a 4 year clock instead. I just don't think Citi wronged you by following their own cardmember terms, especially since they eventually gave you the $100 credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.