Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

BoA ... A hundred point credit score drop for unpaid $79 annual fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BoA ... A hundred point credit score drop for unpaid $79 annual fee.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:22 pm
FWI

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by RedSun
This is not correct. The current Macy's credit is from AMEXDSNB. The bank is Department Store National Bank. It is similar to the Wells Fargo Propel AmEx card. Blame DSNB on it, not AmEx.

It is totally correct.

https://www.macys.com/my-credit/gateway/guest

American Express is a federally registered service mark of American Express and is used by Department Stores National Bank pursuant to a license. The Macy's American Express Card program is issued and administered by Department Stores National Bank.

DSNB, or Department Stores National Bank is Citibank. Citibank purchased the receivables for the former FACS (Macys/Bloomingdale's) and May Company store cards in 2006 when Federated Department Stores (Macy's/Bloomingdale's) and May merged
RedSun likes this.

Last edited by EmailKid; Apr 21, 2018 at 4:51 pm Reason: personolazid comment removed
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Use bill monitoring service, such as Mint or Prism mobile app. I use both just in case if one has an issue, then the other one works. Never missed a bill so far.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:21 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by FWI
American Express is a federally registered service mark of American Express and is used by Department Stores National Bank pursuant to a license. The Macy's American Express Card program is issued and administered by Department Stores National Bank.

DSNB, or Department Stores National Bank is Citibank. Citibank purchased the receivables for the former FACS (Macys/Bloomingdale's) and May Company store cards in 2006 when Federated Department Stores (Macy's/Bloomingdale's) and May merged
Nice catch:
DSNB, or Department Stores National Bank is as you said Citibank. Citibank purchased the receivables for the former FACS (Macys/Bloomingdale's) and May Company store cards in 2006 when Federated Department Stores (Macy's/Bloomingdale's) and May merged. However, the FACS people still service these cards-Citibank just owns the receivables and yes, makes some of the rules regarding approvals, limits etc. This is very similar to how TD owns the Nordstrom and Target receivables-Nordstrom and Target still service the accounts. I believe the main reason that Citibank uses the DSNB name instead of just Citi is because Macy's and Bloomindale's still have a lot to do with the cards-they just dont lend the money anymore.

DSNB is owned by Citi, but not serviced by the regular Citi credit division. From the DP, DSNB are bad....
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:27 pm
FWI

Programs: BAEC
Nice catch:
DSNB, or Department Stores National Bank is as you said Citibank. Citibank purchased the receivables for the former FACS (Macys/Bloomingdale's) and May Company store cards in 2006 when Federated Department Stores (Macy's/Bloomingdale's) and May merged. However, the FACS people still service these cards-Citibank just owns the receivables and yes, makes some of the rules regarding approvals, limits etc. This is very similar to how TD owns the Nordstrom and Target receivables-Nordstrom and Target still service the accounts. I believe the main reason that Citibank uses the DSNB name instead of just Citi is because Macy's and Bloomindale's still have a lot to do with the cards-they just dont lend the money anymore.

DSNB is owned by Citi, but not serviced by the regular Citi credit division. From the DP, DSNB are bad....
According to several people I know in the CITI credit card division Citibank uses the DSNB brand rather than Citi is because Macy's and Bloomingdale's old people still have a lot to do with the cards and service these cards not CITI. The Credit limits and FICO requirements are reportedly much lower than for a CITI card for example. It is not totally unusual for quasi white label arrangements such as these in retail credit. Another example would be TD Bank which owns the Nordstrom and Target receivables, but Nordstrom and Target still service the accounts.

American Express plays no part other being the processing system used. In many ways it is a very clever marketing ploy to attract customers who wouldn't meet AMEX underwriting criteria

None of which gets away from the simple truth that the person responsible for making the payment on time is the debtor not the creditor. Shrugs.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:21 pm
MMU

I totally disagree to set up autopay at each bank. Most of us have a lot of credit cards at quite a few CC banks. It it very unsecure to keep all the bank info at each bank. You increase the chance of getting hacked, say at Macy's. There is plenty news. It is also hard to manage like 15 payments at 7 banks.

One instance (your Macy's) does not mean the method failed. The bank says very clearly that the very first one or two payments won't be auto-paid. So pay attention to what service you get.
You did not read my description clearly. BoA auto pay had been working with the Macy's card for years before it failed. It stopped because my macy's card was renumbered. After that no ebills, no auto pay. That caused the late payment. I am just saying BoA's auto pay is not so reliable because it's tied to a credit card number, not to the actual credit card account. My lesson learned, at least to me, is that a 3rd party bill pay may get you into trouble. You still have to manually babysit each bill.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
frank3355,

on behalf of the Credit Card Programs moderator team I changed the somewhat charged title of your first post and thread title.

~moderator

Give them a call and good luck (I may have posted that already, for sure about calling).
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by MMU
.... I am just saying BoA's auto pay is not so reliable because it's tied to a credit card number, not to the actual credit card account. My lesson learned, at least to me, is that a 3rd party bill pay may get you into trouble. You still have to manually babysit each bill.
I've seen cases where the bill payment (receiving payer) automatically updates the account number and billing address automatically, as it should be the case unless the bill isn't paid electronically. I would say the error is on the bank that's in charge of sending you your bill for the Macy's card, rather than you yourself - although you should always make sure your information is updated anyways.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:32 pm
MMU

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I've seen cases where the bill payment (receiving payer) automatically updates the account number and billing address automatically, as it should be the case unless the bill isn't paid electronically. I would say the error is on the bank that's in charge of sending you your bill for the Macy's card, rather than you yourself - although you should always make sure your information is updated anyways.
BoA's e-bill is tied to one card number. The receiving payer will not get a bill with the new number. It basically stops at the last e-bill with the old number. It's stupid. For a card that is only used occasionally, it is very easy to miss. After being stung twice by bill-pays that push money over the years, I have decided to go with polling for auto-pay.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by MMU
BoA's e-bill is tied to one card number. The receiving payer will not get a bill with the new number. It basically stops at the last e-bill with the old number. It's stupid. For a card that is only used occasionally, it is very easy to miss. After being stung twice by bill-pays that push money over the years, I have decided to go with polling for auto-pay.
Don't pull either. Citi just pulled $68 out of my account between two auto payments even though I already paid the minimum due for the month weeks ago. It says right on the statement, something like: "auto payments will be adjusted if you've paid your minimum payment for the month." Because of this, my budget had to be adjusted for the week.

Don't trust auto pull.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
This happened to me during the death of a close family member. I forgot to pay the bill and got marked late. I wrote to BofA asking for them to remove the payment due to the circumstances, but they told me they had already sent it off to the credit agency and could not retract it. Too bad considering I'm a Platinum Honors client who had never come close to missing a payment. I ended up staying with them, but it was still disappointing because I know they can remove a delinquent mark if they wanted to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.