Wiki Posts
Search

2 Amex cards or 1 visa and 1 Amex

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

2 Amex cards or 1 visa and 1 Amex

Hey guys.
I have an Amex platinum card and a visa preferred. I like it in the sense that I use tHe preferred for gas and dining since it’s 2x points and platinum for everything else. I have been contemplating getting Amex proffered card so it’s 1.5x everything 4.5x in supermarket and 3.5x on gas. That way I can have lots of points on one point and program as opposed to two different programs. What are your guys thoughts about that?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Before I really got into the points game (it's fun after all!), I used my Platinum for all my spend and got 1x per dollar. What a waste. I also used the SPG card a lot though for points. I'd recommend getting the Everyday Preferred or the Blue for Business Plus if you can get a business card. It gives you 2 points per dollar on all spending. It all just depends how much you spend on certain categories, but the Platinum is really only good for airfare. I can only imagine how many points I could have today if I hadn't wasted years using the Platinum for all my spending.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure in what sense you mean "or 2 Amex".

Because some places don't accept Amex, and you need a plan for those places.

So perhaps 3 cards, with the third being a Visa only used when Amex sin't accepted?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
Unless I’m working on a minimum spend or other special requirement, the AMEX Everyday and the Chase Sapphire Reserve are the two cards that stay in my wallet on an everyday basis at home. I use the Chase card where bonuses apply, and the AMEX Everyday for everything else. If you have enough spending in the bonus categories to justify the AF, and can meet the thirty purchases/month requirement without excessive gyrations, the Everyday Preferred might work better for you. My AMEX Platinum only actually enters my wallet when I’m traveling, or of course gets pulled out when buying airline tickets. As mentioned, you need a non-AMEX card for the places that won’t take AMEX.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I wouldn't want to have zero Visa cards in my wallet due to the potential of Amex not being accepted.

Does "Visa Preferred" mean the Chase Sapphire Preferred? Or a different card? If you're trying to minimize your annual fees (swap Chase for Amex) you could consider getting the Amex Everyday Preferred, so all your earning is on Membership Rewards, but get a $0 AF Visa card as well (i.e. the 1.5% CB Quicksilver, or my preferred Visa from Costco if you are member, both with no foreign transaction fees).
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
I wouldn't want to have zero Visa cards in my wallet due to the potential of Amex not being accepted.

Does "Visa Preferred" mean the Chase Sapphire Preferred? Or a different card? If you're trying to minimize your annual fees (swap Chase for Amex) you could consider getting the Amex Everyday Preferred, so all your earning is on Membership Rewards, but get a $0 AF Visa card as well (i.e. the 1.5% CB Quicksilver, or my preferred Visa from Costco if you are member, both with no foreign transaction fees).
I carry both Amex and CSR. All dining and travel go on the CSR. I use a Freedom Unlimited for daily and non category spend as I value UR over MR.....but it is nice to have both brands
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I have the amex platinum and CSP. Currently dining and travel (non flights) go on csp and flights and everything else go on Platinum. I also have the chase with the rotating categories for 5x back. I think I am gonna change my CSP to CSR (as it is really only $55 more when you count in the airline credit and add the amex everyday preffered (as we do tons of grocery shopping and 4.5x back on first 6,000 is a lot of points) Plan would be to do dining and non flights on csr. Use the 5x rotating categories whenever they apply, everyday spending use amex preffered and use platinum for flights etc..
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by gbahri
Thanks for the replies. I have the amex platinum and CSP. Currently dining and travel (non flights) go on csp and flights and everything else go on Platinum. I also have the chase with the rotating categories for 5x back. I think I am gonna change my CSP to CSR (as it is really only $55 more when you count in the airline credit and add the amex everyday preffered (as we do tons of grocery shopping and 4.5x back on first 6,000 is a lot of points) Plan would be to do dining and non flights on csr. Use the 5x rotating categories whenever they apply, everyday spending use amex preffered and use platinum for flights etc..
How do you get 4.5% back on groceries? The listed benefit is 3% back. Thx.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
It is 3% back but if you use your card more than 30x a month they give you 50% points bonus on everything, so that makes it effectively 4.5%. I definitely use my cards more than that.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
If you are looking at Everyday Preferred it should be listed in points, not percentage, and the value will depend how you redeem those points. If you're only getting a penny a point you're doing it wrong .
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, all.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Also get Amex Blue Business Plus, which earns 2x on all spend up to $50k per year, and cancel Platinum. use CSR for all the travel and dining. I also have Platinum, CSR, Prestige, and Altitude Reserve. I use CSR for travel and dining. I use EDP for groceries and gas, and I use Altitude Reserve for everything else (with Samsung Pay). If I can't pay with Samsung pay (which is rare), then I use Amex BBP. For online I use Citi AT&T Access More. I use Prestige for 4th night free benefit. Going to cancel Platinum, as it mostly useless for me. Planning to apply for Hilton Aspire instead.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yugi
Also get Amex Blue Business Plus, which earns 2x on all spend up to $50k per year, and cancel Platinum. use CSR for all the travel and dining. I also have Platinum, CSR, Prestige, and Altitude Reserve. I use CSR for travel and dining. I use EDP for groceries and gas, and I use Altitude Reserve for everything else (with Samsung Pay). If I can't pay with Samsung pay (which is rare), then I use Amex BBP. For online I use Citi AT&T Access More. I use Prestige for 4th night free benefit. Going to cancel Platinum, as it mostly useless for me. Planning to apply for Hilton Aspire instead.
I love my lounges waaaayyyy to much to cancel.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I love my lounges waaaayyyy to much to cancel.
You still get PP and some restaurants. Centurions are too rare.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yugi
You still get PP and some restaurants. Centurions are too rare.
And many of the PP lounges are "no entrance" during busy times of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.