Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR NEW APPLICANTS, 10/5/18).

Barclays Arrival Premier costs $150/year, with first year waived but no new account bonus offer. Barclays calls Arrival rewards points "miles".

Arrival Premier earns two "miles" per dollar on all spending, with a 15,000 "mile" bonus awarded at $15,000 and another 10,000 at $25,000 in a year.

Arrival Premier "miles" are transferable to ten airlines, including members of all three international alliances, plus two independent carriers.

To compare with other cards, look at the ratio of dollars spent to airlines miles earned:
Base transfer ratio is $1 = 2 Arrival "miles" = 1.42 airline miles (Exception: Japan Airlines and Aeroplan, $1 = 2 Arrival = 1.175 airline miles )
If you spend $15,000 -or- $25,000 there is a 50% bonus: $1 = 3 Arrival "miles" = 2.14 airline miles (or 1.76 Japan Airlines or Aeroplan miles)
Transfer partners

One World
Japan Airlines
Malaysia Airlines
Qantas

Skyteam
Aeromexico
China Eastern
Flying Blue

Star Alliance
EVA Air
Aeroplan

Independent
Etihad
Jet Privilege
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival “Premier” (DOA RIP)

Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
WIthout a reasonable signup bonus for like $3-5k initial spend, this card is going to tank. Getting the Arrival+ is still the way to go for the $500 travel bonus and AF fee waived first year.

15k bonus for $15k spend essentially means 2x miles per dollar, that is of course the average person puts all their yearly spend on this just card. Any savvy churner knows getting the most amount of points is best done by using multiple cards for category-based spending rather than a single one..
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:30 pm

Other question is if AF is waived for the first year. If it is and if points transfer 1:1 to lh yielding a 2 x earn for 2 M&M miles / USD spend I will get it.

Sadly Barclay isn't known for waiving first AF.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Explorer789
15k bonus for $15k spend essentially means 2x miles per dollar, that is of course the average person puts all their yearly spend on this just card. Any savvy churner knows getting the most amount of points is best done by using multiple cards for category-based spending rather than a single one..
So you’re saying it wouldn’t appeal to churners? Sounds like that would be a plus from Barclay’s perspective and would make the card more sustainable.
jediwho likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
So you’re saying it wouldn’t appeal to churners? Sounds like that would be a plus from Barclay’s perspective and would make the card more sustainable.
If the goal is to set the spend limit so high to prevent people from cashing in on that 15k/10k bonuses, then yes, this will keep churners away from gaming the bonuses.

But the question you have to ask here is what will be the draw to get people to even apply for this card in the first place when there's a $150 AF and nothing special about it. Why not just go for Sapphire Preferred which only has $99 AF or Citi Preferred for $95, both of which offer 50K signup bonuses and strong categories?

Granted we still don't know which airline partner this could have, but other cards offer ways to purchase award tickets directly/indirectly for your preferred airline.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
If the goal is to set the spend limit so high to prevent people from cashing in on that 15k/10k bonuses, then yes, this will keep churners away from gaming the bonuses.

But the question you have to ask here is what will be the draw to get people to even apply for this card in the first place when there's a $150 AF and nothing special about it. Why not just go for Sapphire Preferred which only has $99 AF or Citi Preferred for $95, both of which offer 50K signup bonuses and strong categories?

Granted we still don't know which airline partner this could have, but other cards offer ways to purchase award tickets directly/indirectly for your preferred airline.
My thoughts on this are: CC companies usually buy miles for a penny. Credit card companies make around 2.5% per dollar on spending. By keeping the spending threshold high (and poor gift card, etc. redemption), Barclays is hoping to keep the rewards payout to 2.5 cents. They will probably make $100 from $150 AF.

My bet is that this card comes with travel insurance which is at least as good as CSR and maybe in line with Prestige. To do this, they would also need some help from MC. This is also where the higher spending threshold comes in -- MC would be willing to pick up bigger portion of the travel insurance cost.

Barclays will make another few hundred bucks on average per cardholder every year on interest income -- higher spending here helps here again as if you have more outstanding balance, Barclays will likely make more in interest income.

Net net, Barclays wants to reduce its upfront marketing cost by no signup bonus so that they could pass on the entire transaction income to cardholders in form of rewards. They make between $300 to $400 per card per year in annual fee and interest income less credit loss write offs. Also, this card will have far less churn than most other higher end cards. If they get 100,000 cardholders, this could be around $40 million a year profit for Barclays. They key for them is to keep/maintain the integrity of there transfer partner platform i.e. 1:1 transfer for unique airlines and hotel chains!
rgAAFT likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
Net net, Barclays wants to reduce its upfront marketing cost by no signup bonus so that they could pass on the entire transaction income to cardholders in form of rewards.
CSR with 100K bonus had very low marketing cost because it went viral.

Spending rewards are nice and all but every bank has cards with those. 2% cashback at 0 AF is better than double unlimited miles at 150 AF. Dollars are the ultimate flex currency. With award space being as crappy as it is, I prefer $s.

Barclay needs to do better than 0 bonus with 150 AF and some milestone spending bonus. If that's what it will be, this will go the opposite of viral.

If I can get an aviator with a 50K signup bonus with $95 AF or a M&M card with a 50K bonus with $90 AF, this new card will not even break even at 25K annual spend in terms of miles gained if there's double earning with 25K bonus miles earned after 25K spend.
rgAAFT likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wyogold
CSR with 100K bonus had very low marketing cost because it went viral.
Check out JP Morgan's 10Q a few quarters ago. From what I recollect, they mentioned that the launch (because of 100K sign up) cost them $300 million.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:18 pm

Check out JP Morgan's 10Q a few quarters ago. From what I recollect, they mentioned that the launch (because of 100K sign up) cost them $300 million.
I would count marketing cost as advertising cost, but I guess you could count bonus cost as that too.

But the reality is that the CSR set a benchmark and countering with a 0K signup bonus is weak sauce.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:57 pm

I would count marketing cost as advertising cost, but I guess you could count bonus cost as that too.

But the reality is that the CSR set a benchmark and countering with a 0K signup bonus is weak sauce.
My point exactly. For $150 AF, there's plenty of other cards out there that will give better value for $15k spend. Anyone can get all these cc benefits and travel insurance for less (e.g. Sapphire Preferred).
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:41 pm

The only card I have that didn't come with a signup bonus is the discover miles it. But that has 3% cashback and no AF. A much better deal than 2x points and 150 AF.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:54 pm

Getting the Arrival+ is still the way to go for the $500 travel bonus and AF fee waived first year
Except A+ is no more
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Except A+ is no more

Not quite true
you can still upgrade to it if offered through the website
i have an arrival no fee card and am always recently getting the option to upgrade to A+ if I so choose
$89 fee would immediately apply by the sound of it.however, and no bonus for the upgrade.....
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:54 pm

https://cards.barclaycardus.com

Website has now officially switched over to saying “Barclays “

no sign of new card yet, however we may be going close.......

Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
no sign of new card yet, however we may be going close.......
No more leaks about the card either.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:13 pm

No more leaks about the card either.
depends on where you look 🙂

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...sfer-partners/

Last edited by rgAAFT; Apr 2, 2018 at 10:21 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.