Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR NEW APPLICANTS, 10/5/18).

Barclays Arrival Premier costs $150/year, with first year waived but no new account bonus offer. Barclays calls Arrival rewards points "miles".

Arrival Premier earns two "miles" per dollar on all spending, with a 15,000 "mile" bonus awarded at $15,000 and another 10,000 at $25,000 in a year.

Arrival Premier "miles" are transferable to ten airlines, including members of all three international alliances, plus two independent carriers.

To compare with other cards, look at the ratio of dollars spent to airlines miles earned:
Base transfer ratio is $1 = 2 Arrival "miles" = 1.42 airline miles (Exception: Japan Airlines and Aeroplan, $1 = 2 Arrival = 1.175 airline miles )
If you spend $15,000 -or- $25,000 there is a 50% bonus: $1 = 3 Arrival "miles" = 2.14 airline miles (or 1.76 Japan Airlines or Aeroplan miles)
Transfer partners

One World
Japan Airlines
Malaysia Airlines
Qantas

Skyteam
Aeromexico
China Eastern
Flying Blue

Star Alliance
EVA Air
Aeroplan

Independent
Etihad
Jet Privilege
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival “Premier” (DOA RIP)

Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by mia
Some programs offer a poor rate for low denomination giftcards. It could be 5,000= $25, but 10000 = $100.
Quite true, and it also depends on the gift card brand etc. End of that section states "Redeeming miles for travel statement credits offers the best value," which looks to be $0.01/mile. Not sure what, if anything, we can read into that. I'm primarily looking for a way to set my expectation low, so I can be pleasantly surprised after all the surmising
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:45 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Hmm...this might be a great card for tax payments, yes!

im looking for another card to spend $25k/year on income taxes since this will be my last year with DL and their AMEX.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
DoC reports that there will be no signup bonus and the card will not be available for those who had Arrival+/- before. Conversions from other Arrival cards will not be allowed. This card should be called "Dead on Arrival".
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by yugi
DoC reports that there will be no signup bonus and the card will not be available for those who had Arrival+/- before. Conversions from other Arrival cards will not be allowed. This card should be called "Dead on Arrival".
I seriously doubt they will not have any signup bonus. Even awesome cards like Amex EDP, Blue Plus and Aspire had signup bonuses. No conversion and also restricting to those with Arrival cards makes no sense.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
I seriously doubt they will not have any signup bonus. Even awesome cards like Amex EDP, Blue Plus and Aspire had signup bonuses. No conversion and also restricting to those with Arrival cards makes no sense.
It seems to me they are taking a different approach to getting their card to be "top of wallet" so to speak. it seems pretty obvious that setting $1-3k minimum spend is not getting people to use a card all the time, but incentivizing them to spend >$15k might make the card profitable and keep people away from churning. maybe a different approach than 5/24 but still trying to hit the same result.
milypan and jediwho like this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cplush
It seems to me they are taking a different approach to getting their card to be "top of wallet" so to speak. it seems pretty obvious that setting $1-3k minimum spend is not getting people to use a card all the time, but incentivizing them to spend >$15k might make the card profitable and keep people away from churning. maybe a different approach than 5/24 but still trying to hit the same result.
That's possible. Also, by not giving signup bonus, they are reducing the upfront marketing cost required to get people, and that way they can give out a higher ongoing rewards still achieving the same or even a higher ROE. Still I think that without a signup bonus, they would need at least one or two very strong/exclusive partners like Lufthansa, JAL, AA, etc. and a 1 to 1 transfer ratio. And why block product change or people who already have Arrival when there is no signup bonus?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by cplush
Who would get this card with $150 AF and no signup bonus, when Amex BBP exists without any AF and a lot of useful transfer partners? $50k per year spend is adequate for most people.
rgAAFT likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
That's possible. Also, by not giving signup bonus, they are reducing the upfront marketing cost required to get people, and that way they can give out a higher ongoing rewards still achieving the same or even a higher ROE. Still I think that without a signup bonus, they would need at least one or two very strong/exclusive partners like Lufthansa, JAL, AA, etc. and a 1 to 1 transfer ratio. And why block product change or people who already have Arrival when there is no signup bonus?

im of the same opinion pretty much
this is really sounding like Barclays is the US issuer that’s really putting the Canadian Amex cobalt Card concept to the
test

i highly doubt it will work though especially with no signup bonus and or potentially restrictive conversation rules

they are possibly trying to imitate chase sapphire reserve but are going to fail miserably in my opinion if they don’t do something innovative aside from that “spend bonus “ with that $150 annual fee to boot

honestly I strongly suggest Barclays just stick to the Uber card ...(maybe allowing Arrival Plus or premier points/ miles to combine with Uber same as chase Freedom and CSR combo)

Or else just
Continuing to allow, or relaxing the rule against churning AA cards and just own up to it as their differentiator.... otherwise they are already DOA especially for the premium market and big spenders thus essentially their target market.... (Not to mention FTers). Simple as that......

Last edited by rgAAFT; Mar 31, 2018 at 11:17 am
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
i highly doubt it will work though especially with no signup bonus and or potentially restrictive conversation rules

Whether this succeeds or not, I am really looking forward to this launch as I am very intregued.

We all can trace this back to the massive devaluation of airlines frequent flyer programs. When these programs were solid, they had a lock on rewards card spending.

Credit card companies clients (airlines and hotels) were semi happy and customers (card holders) were very happy.

When AA devalued its program massively, I was expecting two or three things to happen......more issuance and spending of transfer program cards, foreign airlines issuing new cards and hotels getting their game up.
Chase was the first issuer to realize that once these programs were devalued their clients were very happy but not cardholders and this could seriously impact spending on airline credit cards.

So, they launched CSR, which ended up being the most successful launch in CC history. This was followed by Amex Blue Plus with 2x spending up to $50K. And then Amex Aspire. And foreign airlines like Cathay, Iberia, Aer Lingus and Avianca have launched (or will be launching) their own US credit cards.

All three cards are game changers and has benefited us directly and indirectly. CSR forced Amex Platinum to up its game. You could argue that the Blue and Cobalt is what laid the groundwork for the rumored Barclays card. And the Aspire is forcing Marriott to partner with Amex for a premium card.

Whether we get the new Barclays card or not, lets hope it succeeds. My long term bet is that we will see more Amex Blue/Barclays type spending cards, Hyatt also launching a premium card, and eventually airline frequent flyer programs adding more benefits -- they will have no choice.
rgAAFT and yugi like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:52 am

And why block product change or people who already have Arrival when there is no signup bonus?
​​​​​​
This is all so strange, so you can't convert and you can't apply? It just doesn't make sense. I'm sure conversions will be a thing. However what I'm curious about is A+ already has two points per dollar, so what happens to existing A+ members? Do they get the Premier locked in at $89 a year? Do they just keep their $89 a year card?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by yugi
....Conversions from other Arrival cards will not be allowed. ...
It does not sound as if this is a permanent restriction, and the application eligibility language is weak

It won’t be possible to product change existing Arrival/Arrival Plus cards to this card initially. They want to see how many people will apply without a sign up bonus/possibility of conversion....You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in the Arrival, Arrival Plus and/or Arrival Premier programs.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
No sign up bonus, high annual fee means bust. Buzz will die quickly on this. Only ones you'll see pushing it will be bloggers who might get some sort of referral bonus, or those with nothing to talk about. My wife and her side of family haven't had any Barclaycard relationship in years and were hoping this might become a top of wallet card, but are no longer interested. So many other incentives out there. They are decent spenders too and keep cards. I still have a Chase Sapphire Reserve, they got me interested with a great initial bonus and continued perks and won me over (I kept the card). Plus I have Cap 1, which gives me unlimited 2x and seem easier to get travel credits when redeeming than Barclay. Moving on.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
So,, is the card available, I'm confused ......

Will it be readily available or will it be hidden?
how do people get it in the end? if it's rumored to be so closed off.....
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
So,, is the card available, I'm confused ......
Not yet. Entire discussion is based on blog articles which are based on leaked materials.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Not yet. Entire discussion is based on blog articles which are based on leaked materials.
What are your thoughts Mia on this rumored card? Assuming it has not signup bonus as Reddit and DoC are reporting, do you see this card becoming a major success in the long run. I can see the logic from ROE perspective. Barclays is essentially passing on the benefits of much lower initial marketing expense to its cardholders in form of higher spending rewards, but would people sign up and spend if you had unique partners and 1:1 transfer bonus?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.