Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR NEW APPLICANTS, 10/5/18).

Barclays Arrival Premier costs $150/year, with first year waived but no new account bonus offer. Barclays calls Arrival rewards points "miles".

Arrival Premier earns two "miles" per dollar on all spending, with a 15,000 "mile" bonus awarded at $15,000 and another 10,000 at $25,000 in a year.

Arrival Premier "miles" are transferable to ten airlines, including members of all three international alliances, plus two independent carriers.

To compare with other cards, look at the ratio of dollars spent to airlines miles earned:
Base transfer ratio is $1 = 2 Arrival "miles" = 1.42 airline miles (Exception: Japan Airlines and Aeroplan, $1 = 2 Arrival = 1.175 airline miles )
If you spend $15,000 -or- $25,000 there is a 50% bonus: $1 = 3 Arrival "miles" = 2.14 airline miles (or 1.76 Japan Airlines or Aeroplan miles)
Transfer partners

One World
Japan Airlines
Malaysia Airlines
Qantas

Skyteam
Aeromexico
China Eastern
Flying Blue

Star Alliance
EVA Air
Aeroplan

Independent
Etihad
Jet Privilege
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival “Premier” (DOA RIP)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I am a bit surprised that no one else has mentioned this here, nor any bloggers, but I remember taking a survey from Barclays a year or so ago about a high end card that would have more spending bonus, no sign up bonus, transfer partners, no cap on higher rewards, and more perks that would make it a primary card in my wallet. I more or less said yes to most of their questions. Little did I know then that they would launch a card with practically no perks, inferior transfer partners than the other three players, more annual fee than justified and a suboptimal transfer ratio.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
... I remember taking a survey from Barclays a year or so ago about a high end card ...
Well so now we gots us a patsy!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yugi
Where did 0.7:1 and 0.85:1 come from? AFAIK, transfer ratios are 1.7:1 and 1.4:1.
The card earns 2x on everything!

So from a dollar perspective, it's 1 dollar equals 2 Arrival miles, while 1.7 Arrival miles equals 1 airline mile. So therefore 0.7 dollars (1.4/2) equals 1 airline mile, or 0.85 dollars (1.7/2) equal 1 airline mile.

Thus it's 1.4:1 or 1.7:1 going from Arrival miles to airline miles, but it's 0.7:1 or 8.85:1 going from dollars (through Arrival miles) to airline miles.

I'm very familiar with this convoluted arithmetic because Diners Club USA,well over a decade ago (during the Citi days), also used to earn 2 points per dollars and then require 2 points per airline miles, but that equated to 1 airline miles per dollar spent.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
The only dollar to mile ratio that matters is JAL, since most of us would agree that's only program worth dealing with, and that's worse than SPG (1.25)
But this card is likely to outlast the SPG program (which quite likely doesn't even have a full year left at this point). So what will look better than this card for JAL once SPG is gone?

That's also why I'm focusing on why this card doesn't have transfers to AA at any ratio, given that once SPG goes "poof", nothing (other than some other hotel programs) will transfer to AA, and nothing is likely to transfer to AA at even 1:x:1 (1 dollar to 1 AA mile through any intermediary value) at that point.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The card earns 2x on everything!

So from a dollar perspective, it's 1 dollar equals 2 Arrival miles, while 1.7 Arrival miles equals 1 airline mile. So therefore 0.7 dollars (1.4/2) equals 1 airline mile, or 0.85 dollars (1.7/2) equal 1 airline mile.

Thus it's 1.4:1 or 1.7:1 going from Arrival miles to airline miles, but it's 0.7:1 or 8.85:1 going from dollars (through Arrival miles) to airline miles.

I'm very familiar with this convoluted arithmetic because Diners Club USA,well over a decade ago (during the Citi days), also used to earn 2 points per dollars and then require 2 points per airline miles, but that equated to 1 airline miles per dollar spent.
Then Amex BBP is 0.5:1 and CFU is 0.67:1, which is better than Arrival Premier, with no or lower ($95) annual fee.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then Amex BBP is 0.5:1 and CFU is 0.67:1, which is better than Arrival Premier, with no or lower ($95) annual fee.
But to a mostly different set of airlines (each; ie, there's also fairly little overlap between who you can transfer to from Amex vs Chase).

Not that the airlines that Arrival Premier are necessarily any "better", but it's a little hard to compare this stuff in abstract, since not all airlines are the same (and not all people all equally versed in the full set of airlines available with each bank).

But with that said, the "simplest" option for many tends to be a domestic airline, and that's where Arrival Premier is so lacking,, compared to Amex and Chase.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
... focusing on why this card doesn't have transfers to AA at any ratio,...
I think AA, DL and UA no longer see much value in participating in domestic payment card multi-partner transfer programs, because they each have a large market share, and these dilute their co-branded card and mileage sales programs. I will not be surprised in Delta or United reduce their participation in these types of programs when contracts are renegotiated.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:14 am
mia

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
The only dollar to mile ratio that matters is JAL, since most of us would agree that's only program worth dealing with, and that's worse than SPG (1.25).
If I understand correctly, we now know that the New Marriott/Starwood program credit cards will offer fewer miles per dollar of general card spending:

$30,000 = 60,000 New Marriott Points = 25,000 airline miles (0.83/dollar)

While Arrival Premier offers:

$30,000 = 60,000 Arrival Miles = 42,857 airline miles (1.43/dollar) -or- 35,294 JAL miles (1.18/dollar).

Is there a better way to earn Japan Airline miles?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
If I understand correctly, we now know that the New Marriott/Starwood program credit cards will offer fewer miles per dollar of general card spending:

$30,000 = 60,000 New Marriott Points = 25,000 airline miles (0.83/dollar)

While Arrival Premier offers:

$30,000 = 60,000 Arrival Miles = 42,857 airline miles (1.43/dollar) -or- 35,294 JAL miles (1.18/dollar).

Is there a better way to earn Japan Airline miles?
If you spend $30k on this card you will get 50k JAL miles or 1.67/$. So probably no better way.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:18 am
mia

If you spend $30k on this card...
You're right, I omitted the threshold bonus to make the comparison with the New Marriott program because it only applies to the first $25,000 per year.

Last edited by mia; Apr 27, 2018 at 7:55 am
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
The other question for this card is excise taxes that Amex conveniently sneaks in there when making the transfer...
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:56 am
mia

American Express and Diners Club collect excise taxes only on transfers to domestic USA airlines. At this point Barclays has no domestic transfer partners.
alvinroast likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: all
any news on whether they will let you convert the arrival card to the premier card
Old May 6, 2018, 10:43 pm

I believe DoC posted it was coming in May and your existing Arrival or Arrival Plus miles won't convert.
Old May 11, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Has anybody trying obtained this card? I called to convert my arrival and the answer was no. I see this as a 2.4% cashback card net of annual fee for first $25K and 2% cashback after that. With opportunity to buy miles as needed for 1.4 cents each (1.7 cents JAL). Having maxed out my Amex BBP, I think this is next best. If I only I could get one though! Not worth a hard pull.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.