Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR NEW APPLICANTS, 10/5/18).

Barclays Arrival Premier costs $150/year, with first year waived but no new account bonus offer. Barclays calls Arrival rewards points "miles".

Arrival Premier earns two "miles" per dollar on all spending, with a 15,000 "mile" bonus awarded at $15,000 and another 10,000 at $25,000 in a year.

Arrival Premier "miles" are transferable to ten airlines, including members of all three international alliances, plus two independent carriers.

To compare with other cards, look at the ratio of dollars spent to airlines miles earned:
Base transfer ratio is $1 = 2 Arrival "miles" = 1.42 airline miles (Exception: Japan Airlines and Aeroplan, $1 = 2 Arrival = 1.175 airline miles )
If you spend $15,000 -or- $25,000 there is a 50% bonus: $1 = 3 Arrival "miles" = 2.14 airline miles (or 1.76 Japan Airlines or Aeroplan miles)
Transfer partners

One World
Japan Airlines
Malaysia Airlines
Qantas

Skyteam
Aeromexico
China Eastern
Flying Blue

Star Alliance
EVA Air
Aeroplan

Independent
Etihad
Jet Privilege
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival “Premier” (DOA RIP)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by pantanal
wish they would put one great airline partner like maybe AA instead of putting a ton of others
Yes, both Alitalia and Finnair are not good.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by yugi
TPG reporting: new transfer partners - Alitalia and Finnair, AF waived first year. Another transfer partner on the way.
FYI to all who applied prior to the bolded change and had the fee post: Barclays credited me the $150 fee after requesting via SM.

YMMV as in my instance the change occurred less than a month after approval, not sure if they would credit those that applied back in April or May.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
End of July has come and gone, still no Alitalia or Finnair...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Buh-Bye. Barclays Arrival Premier Being Closed to New Customers
Gary over at VFTW has the story. https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...new-customers/
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by flyaxa
Gary over at VFTW has the story. https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...new-customers/
RIP
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by flyaxa
If only the bankers at Barclays were reading ft ...

Could've saved a lot of time effort and money.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:13 am

I have this card and had to contact customer support a couple days ago. I casually asked the rep if she had any new information about what to expect regarding the card and transfer partners, and she mentioned hearing that they may allow Arrival Plus cardholders to upgrade to it in the near future. She also mentioned that they ran into major headwinds with every single mileage program in their co-brand portfolio (Lufthansa, JetBlue, etc.) -- none agreed to be added as a transfer partner at a reasonable cost per mile rate.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by moe8555
..... every single mileage program in their co-brand portfolio (Lufthansa, JetBlue, etc.) -- none agreed to be added as a transfer partner at a reasonable cost per mile rate.
....and yet Chase added JetBlue since this card was introduced and also accepts transfers from American Express and Citi. I think it is more likely that the Barclays AA, B6 and LH co-brand card managers won the internal battle, and blocked creating a product that would cannibalize their cards.
flyaxa and jediwho like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by moe8555
... mentioned that they ran into major headwinds with every single mileage program in their co-brand portfolio (Lufthansa, JetBlue, etc.) -- none agreed to be added as a transfer partner at a reasonable cost per mile rate.
Amazingly AMEX and Citi were able to ink deals with Jet Blue (and still have them as a partner) without much of an issue.

I don't buy the story of Barclays not being able to find reasonable transfer partners at a reasonable price. They can keep offering mostly co-brand cards and a lineup everyone laughs at. They couldn't even keep the Ring card, or its only useful perk (8% interest). It's just time to realize Barclays is a cheap issuer for people with less than stellar credit, and many companies are stupid enough to partner with them. Jet Blue should've stayed with AMEX or went with Citi or Chase as a partner instead. 1:1 UR transfer to Jet Blue is decent, so perhaps Chase and J.B could've formed a relationship.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by mia
....and yet Chase added JetBlue since this card was introduced and also accepts transfers from American Express and Citi. I think it is more likely that the Barclays AA, B6 and LH co-brand card managers won the internal battle, and blocked creating a product that would cannibalize their cards.
This is more or less what I thought to myself when she told me this.

I honestly think the rep was simply "talking out of her you know what," since Barclays themselves admitted the card was considered a failure. Why would they suddenly allow Arrival Plus members to upgrade? How is that a reason for closing the card to new applicants? (She specifically said it was closed to allow them to gear up for upgraders, sorry did not mention this in the previous post)
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
Chase does it right. 1:1 transfers when Citi and AMEX only do 3:4.

Perhaps Citi and Chase should edit their transfer ratios.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Chase does it right. 1:1 transfers when Citi and AMEX only do 3:4.

Perhaps Citi and Chase should edit their transfer ratios.
Citi-Jetblue is 1:1 now. Amex is still at 5:4 to Jetblue.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Well at least they put the card out of its misery now! Poor little thing never really had a chance.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I just realized Barclay has more airline co-branded cards than any other banks, AA, LH, B6, HA, and F9 and they couldn't get any of them to be a transfer partner(s)? Ouch! OTOH this may be the reason the card has no chance, it's very similar to Citi unable to add AA as one of the transfer partners, no one would get airline specific card if a card generating point currency can do the same.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:47 am

Has anyone transferred miles using this card? Curious to hear reports of how it went!

A data point of my own: I hit the first $15K bonus milestone and the 15K points posted within a month of qualifying transaction (it was not immediate).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.