Wiki Posts
Search

Samsung Pay with MST Mode

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by halamadrid
I highly recommend the Samsung Galaxy Gear S3 smart watch which has MST.
Mmmm... that's the double of price of used S6....
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by invisible
Once again thanks for quick replies.

Related question - I am planning to buy second-hand S6 specifically for this purpose once I am back in States. There were reports that only S6 phones which were sold in US can work with MST mode - international S6 were missing the magnetic coil.

Honestly, have not bought anything phone/electronics related since I relocated overseas >6 years ago and have no idea what are now available/appropriate channels. Back several years ago Ebay and Craigslist were the only realistic options, but I am afraid that either it will be stolen goods which blocked IEMI or gray import from Asia/Europe which misses the coil.

Any suggestions?
I can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement; I've never heard of that international S6 were missing the coil; I mean, SK actually had Samsung Pay with MST before US did... though I guess they can have a Korean version.
If you have a friend in the States, you can maybe have that person order $99 Boost Mobile version currently on sale:
https://www.boostmobile.com/?INTCID=...es/Black,32GB/

I believe it will be locked to Boost Mobile network so that may be a consideration, or pay to have it unlocked by a 3rd party service; or buy unlocked preowned on Swappa.

I've bought and sold phones on Swappa, and they are pretty legit because they require the phone to go through IMEI check before being listed.

I've also bought and sold phones on eBay and it is relatively safe because of buyer's assurance program now available.

Craigslist would be last resort because you have no recourse, unless it was new phone that has a warranty
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Mmmm... that's the double of price of used S6....
With a watch it sometimes easier to reach the reader, like on gas stations. You will need to remove the watch from hand on some occasions.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yugi
With a watch it sometimes easier to reach the reader, like on gas stations. You will need to remove the watch from hand on some occasions.
Understandable, but for me cost has the preference. I don't wear watches last 18 years and already have a phone - need to have less number of stuff carried with me.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement; I've never heard of that international S6 were missing the coil; I mean, SK actually had Samsung Pay with MST before US did... though I guess they can have a Korean version.
Here, there was an article in local paper
askST: Why is Samsung Pay not available for the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge?, Smartphones News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

If you have a friend in the States, you can maybe have that person order $99 Boost Mobile version currently on sale:
I believe it will be locked to Boost Mobile network so that may be a consideration, or pay to have it unlocked by a 3rd party service; or buy unlocked preowned on Swappa.
Thanks for the link. I am going to call them to ask about network locking.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:38 pm

Here, there was an article in local paper
askST: Why is Samsung Pay not available for the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge?, Smartphones News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Thanks for the link. I am going to call them to ask about network locking.
Interesting... I wonder if it is actually missing the MST hardware, or just not enabled in the firmware.

As for Boost Mobile, from what I have read, they are locked to their network and require 12 months of service to unlock. However, perhaps there are 3rd party unlock services that can circumvent that.
I can't vouch for this service since I haven't used them:
How To Unlock Samsung Galaxy S6 By Unlock Code To Work With Any Network

May want to see if they can unlock Boost phones; or check eBay for some services.

Almost certain Boost will not unlock without being a subscriber already.

Good luck.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Interesting... I wonder if it is actually missing the MST hardware, or just not enabled in the firmware.
Former. MST is done via a magnetic coil which was missing in certain models sold in some regions.

Almost certain Boost will not unlock without being a subscriber already.Good luck.
Thanks. If all lost, it is $100....
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:24 am
Original Poster

The biggest obstacles are:
Card terminals that require you to insert the card vs swiping (gas stations and ATMs)
Card terminals that are handled by employees who insist they don't work because they can't accept Apple Pay (they just assume Apple Pay and refuse to try)
Ok, got old Galaxy S7 specifically for MST purchases - here is Singapore one bank has a promotion to earn 4 miles per $ spent when using Samsung/Android/Apple pay.

Well, my three attempts last weekend to use MST mode ended up exactly in categories above - in one store they told me that they need to insert card with chip to enter amount and don't do swiping.

In two other stores clerks flat out refused to try pay with phone telling that 'we do not accept contactless payments'. My attempt to explain that technology is different was useless - was told 'go and find another store which will accept your payment'. Yes.

Last edited by invisible; Feb 5, 2018 at 3:30 am
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:16 pm

Ok, got old Galaxy S7 specifically for MST purchases - here is Singapore one bank has a promotion to earn 4 miles per $ spent when using Samsung/Android/Apple pay.

Well, my three attempts last weekend to use MST mode ended up exactly in categories above - in one store they told me that they need to insert card with chip to enter amount and don't do swiping.

In two other stores clerks flat out refused to try pay with phone telling that 'we do not accept contactless payments'. My attempt to explain that technology is different was useless - was told 'go and find another store which will accept your payment'. Yes.
When I encountered a lot of resistance because the cashiers/clerks had never been exposed to this, I used to have a physical CC card in hand, pretending I was about to swipe. This typically prompts the cashier to start the process on their end to get the terminal ready for my "swipe". All the while I had my Samsung Pay app open and ready to go. At the last second, I would just casually switch from my card to my phone; and almost all the time, it would just go through without a hitch. Then I would lift my phone up and show the transaction banner flash on the top of the screen and say, look it works. I wouldn't even elude to having Samsung Pay at the beginning.

I did this a couple of times at a local place I frequent, and after the 3rd time doing this, a coworker piped up to the cashier processing my order, saying, "Yes, it does work. Just run it like a regular card".

This obviously is much harder when the terminal/swipe is facing the cashier and not you; for those scenarios, I would ask if they mind I try something new that should work on their older payment systems. Half the time, the cashier would be open to it, other half, it would be no, it doesn't work and it won't. Sometimes just have to gauge the interest/resistance to something they aren't familiar with.

It's a battle sometimes, and really those of us who were early adopters have to push and fight our way into mainstream acceptance :P

One thing I am curious in is whether network connectivity/signal is required to have Samsung Pay work. In my experience, I'm always connected so I see the transaction go through on my phone within seconds of the "swipe". If there isn't a connection to the internet, I wonder if that will cause any issues.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
One thing I am curious in is whether network connectivity/signal is required to have Samsung Pay work. In my experience, I'm always connected so I see the transaction go through on my phone within seconds of the "swipe". If there isn't a connection to the internet, I wonder if that will cause any issues.

​​​​
From here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00045193/

Do I need to have an active internet connection for Samsung Pay to work?

Samsung Pay requires an active internet connection when adding or removing a payment card and to download transaction history. You can connect via a Wi-Fi network or using your mobile data connection. When you are using Samsung Pay to make a purchase, no internet connection is needed. However, some networks will limit you to 10 transactions during a period without internet access, after which Samsung Pay will require an active internet connection. We recommend connecting to the internet at least once per day to ensure Samsung Pay stays up to date.

TyrannicalDuncery likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Back to the subject. Do I understand that J7 models sold at Best Buy stores does not support Samsung Pay?
Old Apr 18, 2024, 8:56 pm

I have a Galaxy S8 and I'm excited to try out MST with Samsung Pay. I think it's getting accepted in fewer and fewer places but I still want to give it a shot.

Where would a good place be to try out MST and see whether it's working/how it feels?

Ideally I would be looking for a
  • national chain with standardized systems,
  • that is open nights/weekends/early mornings so I can try it out without worrying about delaying someone in line behind me,
  • with a self-checkout where MST works, and not one of the "eat your card and hold onto it" types like at a gas station.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TyrannicalDuncery
I have a Galaxy S8 and I'm excited to try out MST with Samsung Pay. I think it's getting accepted in fewer and fewer places but I still want to give it a shot.

Where would a good place be to try out MST and see whether it's working/how it feels?

Ideally I would be looking for a
  • national chain with standardized systems,
  • that is open nights/weekends/early mornings so I can try it out without worrying about delaying someone in line behind me,
  • with a self-checkout where MST works, and not one of the "eat your card and hold onto it" types like at a gas station.
Maybe Home Depot? (I know Walmart somehow did something to block it in the past, so they probably aren't an option unfortunately.) WinCo may be an option too if you don't mind debit and have one in your area.

That said, way more places do NFC now than back when this thread first started, so MST may not be all that necessary anymore. Also, I know that Samsung stopped offering MST on newer devices and may be only activating NFC on older ones (but not sure on that last bit).
Old Apr 19, 2024, 9:38 am

The last time I was at Home Depot, they did not accept any electronic payments.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dougfoglesong
The last time I was at Home Depot, they did not accept any electronic payments.
They've taken cards for a while, just not NFC (at least in the US; Canadian ones do take NFC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.