Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What card to apply for next?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cliff358
I've searched around but haven't been able to find anything like what I am considering. I would really like some input from other FT members who may have a different perspective than me.

I was looking over my credit cards and their limits and it raised a question that hadn't occurred to me. If I have two cards that are fairly equal, for instance; the Aviator Red and the Aviator Business, would I be better off keeping the business card and cancelling the personal one? Here's my thinking. My score is over 800, my personal card limits are over $100k, and my annual salary is under $100k, so I don't really need to improve my score or increase my credit limits. By keeping the business cards it would lower my "available" credit as far as the credit card companies are concerned which should increase my odds on acquiring new cards. Is this a good idea or is there a flaw in my logic that I am over-looking? Would I be better off simply asking them to lower my limit on my current cards? Thanks for taking the time to read this post and reply.
You didn't explain enough about your current credit situation. For example:
  • Over how many cards is that 100k credit limit spread, and what credit limit do you have specifically on your personal Aviator card?
  • How old is the oldest credit card that you're keeping open "forever"?
  • How many open cards and how many closed cards does your credit report show? (Check it at Credit Karma if you don't know.)

From a benefits perspective, the Aviator Business is a bit better for many people because of the two benefits that it has which the personal Aviator doesn't have:

Earn 2X AAdvantage® miles

for every one dollar spent at eligible office supply, telecom and car rental merchants.2

5% AAdvantage® mileage bonus

earned every year after your account anniversary date based on the total number of miles earned using your card.2
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Is this a good idea or is there a flaw in my logic that I am over-looking?
Business cards do not get as much consumer protections as consumer cards (check your T&Cs for detail). So it is always better to keep consumer cards.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... my personal card limits are over $100k, ....
Originally Posted by LAX
....one that has over $100K credit line....
I understand $100,000 to be the aggregate limit of all cards combined, not a single card.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:18 am

Mia is correct. I was trying to keep my post as short as possible but a little more explanation is required. I currently have 9 cards open, 2 of which are business and 2 cards closed. My personal limit is at $95000 and my business limit is $15,000. I just closed a CitiBusiness that had a $20,000 limit. I currently have an Aviator business opened last September, an Aviator Red opened in October of 2018 and a Citi Aadvantage Platinum Select World Elite opened in January. There's a lot of duplication there and they all have a $95-99 AF. I will be falling under the Chase 5/24 limit in December and I want to add the Freedom Flex and all of the Ink cards. My main spending right now goes on my SR and FU cards. My oldest card is a SW Classic (2007).

I don't know if there is an upper limit for credit companies will allow but I really don't need any more so I wanted to close the ones I don't use when their AF comes up (I also have the Alaska business and personal). My thoughts were by keeping a business card open instead of a personal it would reduce the number of "visible" cards to credit card companies increasing my likelihood of being approved. I haven't heard anybody discuss this before so I wanted to ask the community their thoughts on it.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:54 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
I understand $100,000 to be the aggregate limit of all cards combined, not a single card.
My bad. I guess I read the post too literally. He talked about having "2 cards fairly equal", one personal and one business. Then he mentioned "personal card limits of over $100K."

LAX
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:32 pm

? Travel Credit Card - Next Step ?

Hi, We're not sure what our next step should be?

Currently, I have (in my name):
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Ink Business Preferred
Freedom Unlimited (Authorized User)
Freedom Flex (Authorized User)
United Explorer Card
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless

My wife has (in her name):
Ink Business Preferred
Freedom Unlimited
Freedom Flex (downgraded from Sapphire Reserve)
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
World of Hyatt

We're trying to decide on our next step.

Option 1:
Downgrade my Sapphire Reserve, (I'm still within the 41 day cancellation window, to get my annual fee refunded). Then, I'd use my Ink Business Preferred for Ultimate Rewards, etc....
Downgrade my wife's Ink Business Preferred (we don't need 2 of them).
Get the Amex Platinum (with the current 225,000 mile offer).
OR
Option 2:
Keep my Sapphire Reserve.
Also, get the Amex Platinum (with the 225,000 mile offer)
Downgrade my Ink Business Preferred.

I like the better lounge options, with the Amex card. But, the Amex airline fee credit is definitely more limiting. We also rarely use ride sharing (Uber or Lyft).
We currently have @ 500,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
We primarily fly out of Boston, which is a hub for Delta and JetBlue.
Age 50, averaging @ 4 trips per year.
I just didn't know if we'd be spreading ourselves to thin, having miles in different programs. (But, could always get the Amex 225,000 mile offer, and downgrade later)??
Look forward to your advice! Thank you!

Jordy
Old Nov 18, 2020, 2:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jordypac1
Downgrade my Sapphire Reserve, (I'm still within the 41 day cancellation window, to get my annual fee refunded).....
Note that Chase has recently started to offer some retention bonuses on Sapphire Reserve: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rs-2020-a.html
Old Jul 18, 2021, 11:12 am

Have the Sapphire Reserve + Freedom Unlimited, what next?

I’m having a tough time deciding what card to get next after having the sapphire reserve for 2 years now and the freedom unlimited for almost a year.

any recommendations? Should I get an AMEX card or are there any other cards that are more lucrative and can help maximize benefits?
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:51 pm

What card should I spend on: UA Chase Club or AA Citi Executive or AA Aviator

I am AA Exec Plat and should be UA 1k by the end of the year. I think I've maxed our rewards on all of the cards.

I have a lot of spending to do before the end of the year and am wondering which card will give me the most bang for the buck in terms of miles.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I'm at 4/24 and recently applied for Wyndham Business and Ink Preferred and was approved. At the end of December I'll be at 2/24. I'd like to apply for the following cards:
1. Chase Marriott card (which one?) in order to convert it later to Ritz.
2. United card (which one?). I'm thinking about getting the Quest, and later converting it to no AF UA card, or keep the Quest if I like it.
3. IHG Premier card, and later convert it to no AF card in order to complement it to my old IHG Select $49 AF card, so I'll get both 4th night free and 10% back in points.
4. Cap1 Venture X card.
What would be the strategy to get all of those cards?
Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:11 pm

Citi Premier Vs Venture X

Hey guys,

im looking for a new card to sign up for. I’m considering Citi Premier or Venture X.

Never had Citi so not sure I wanna open a new bank already got Chase, Amex and C1 points not sure about having points in a 4th ecosystem even if transferable.

Venture X I’m not sure id get approved.

thoughts on which to go for and why?

Last edited by Dreamwalker; Nov 10, 2021 at 10:40 pm
Old Nov 11, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, AA, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Next Card??

Trying to decide next card. I looked, and I believe I am now 3/24 (I was 4, but that was September 2019, so I think now I'm at 3).

I currently have:

Amex Delta Platinum (plan to downgrade to Gold soon)
Chase Marriott
Chase Freedom
Chase Preferred
Hyatt card
Amex Green Card
Amex Marriott (old SPG) Business card
Blue Business Preferred
Amex Marriott (not the Brilliant card, you can no longer apply for this one)
Hilton Aspire
United Explorer
Citi AA World Mastercard

I'm just not sure what my next move should be. Any suggestions??

(I was thinking of getting Amex Plat at some point, but I believe I would need to close one of my Amex accounts. Thinking of closing the Green Card, but want to wait to maybe get some Chase cards first while under 5/24).

Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Veronyka
Trying to decide next card. I looked, and I believe I am now 3/24 (I was 4, but that was September 2019, so I think now I'm at 3).

I currently have:

Amex Delta Platinum (plan to downgrade to Gold soon)
Chase Marriott
Chase Freedom
Chase Preferred
Hyatt card
Amex Green Card
Amex Marriott (old SPG) Business card
Blue Business Preferred
Amex Marriott (not the Brilliant card, you can no longer apply for this one)
Hilton Aspire
United Explorer
Citi AA World Mastercard

I'm just not sure what my next move should be. Any suggestions??

(I was thinking of getting Amex Plat at some point, but I believe I would need to close one of my Amex accounts. Thinking of closing the Green Card, but want to wait to maybe get some Chase cards first while under 5/24).

Thanks.

amex plat has huge signup bonuses right now. There is one through resy for like 125k plus chance at another 375k.

might look into that.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: Delta Silver, AA, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dreamwalker
amex plat has huge signup bonuses right now. There is one through resy for like 125k plus chance at another 375k.

might look into that.

Thanks! I'll look into that one.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Guys, Need help on a business card. I'm over 5/24 so Chase is not an option until spring next year. I have the following cards:

CHASE:
CSR
CFF
CFU
WoH
IHG Premier

AMEX:
Amex Platinum x 2 + 1 CharleSchwab
Gold
Green
HAspire
HHonor
Bonvoy Brilliant
Delta Reserve

CITI
Prestige
AA Platin Biz

BoA:
Alaska milage

Below are the business cards I'm considering so any thought on them would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

-Amex Marriott business
-Alaska biz but heard it's a pain in the A if you dont bank/cd/saving w/them.
-Amex Delta Gold business w/80k skypesos /af waived.
-Amex plat biz but unlikely due to high spend requirement, maybe summer 2022.

-Any other recommendations ?(beside chase/Barclay)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.