Chase: CSR, Ritz, Freedom, WoH, United No AF, Ink Cash x 2, Ink Unlimited
Amex: Bus Plat, BBP, ED, SPG personal and business, Hilton No AF
Citi: TY Business, AA Executive, DC, Dividend, Costco, AA Business
Barclay: Aviator Silver, Arrival Plus
Discover IT
Altitude Reserve
Total Rewards Visa
First National Bank Sports Chalet Card

I'd like to have enough points to cover a family of three (one two year old) in business class from LAX to Japan (HND) round trip. No status on any airlines. Working on Explorist with Hyatt and am Titanium Elite with Marriott. Shooting for Globalist. Can spend 5-15K per month organically. What is the next best card to get, and what point system should I concentrate on to accomplish this? If Japan won't work, also interested the Amalfi Coast. Appreciate any input on this. Thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 3sgtekb
...business class from LAX to Japan (HND) round trip. ...
You may not need a new card. Read here about using Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles to fly to Japan on All Nippon.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virg...ub-points.html

You could transfer from American Express, Chase and Citi to Virgin Atlantic. DO NOT TRANSFER on speculation. Verify that award seats are available on ANA through Virgin Atlantic for your specific dates BEFORE you transfer.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:45 am

Question Signup bonus for around $3k spend by July?

My dad had a medical emergency and has around $3k to pay by next month.

I have enough cash to cover him but was curious if there's a nice card signup bonus for around $3k spend.

I am not a travel type and prefer cash rewards. I have a stable six figure income, 790+ FICO score and 1HP past year (to join a credit union).

I already have all the popular cashback cards you can think of but they typically had very bad signup bonuses of ~$200 max although the spend was around $500 - $900 most of which I manufactured.

Now I have this real spend, is there something I could use?

I do have to take him to Mexico/TJ pretty regularly now because he does not want to pay the high prices in the U.S. with the therapy he will need to be on going forward, so a card that can reimburse GOES (Global Entry Card) or similar could be valuable but cash is king to me.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by newgraduate2013
My dad had a medical emergency and has around $3k to pay by next month.

I have enough cash to cover him but was curious if there's a nice card signup bonus for around $3k spend.

I am not a travel type and prefer cash rewards. I have a stable six figure income, 790+ FICO score and 1HP past year (to join a credit union).

I already have all the popular cashback cards you can think of but they typically had very bad signup bonuses of ~$200 max although the spend was around $500 - $900 most of which I manufactured.

Now I have this real spend, is there something I could use?

I do have to take him to Mexico/TJ pretty regularly now because he does not want to pay the high prices in the U.S. with the therapy he will need to be on going forward, so a card that can reimburse GOES (Global Entry Card) or similar could be valuable but cash is king to me.
Chase freedom unlimited 3% cash back on first 20K
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:03 pm

Help Choosing Non Chase Card To Complement CSR

Hi all, I'm a complete newbie to the credit card rewards world. I was approved for the CSR about two weeks ago and I already met the required spend for the sign up bonus! I have some big purchases coming up really soon and I am looking for a card with a good sign up bonus that will complement my CSR. I really wanted the CIP but my application got turned down. I was flagged for too many inquiries I guess due to the recent CSR application which I believe led them to look at some other issues on my credit report (long story). Any recommendations for non Chase cards to complement my current CSR? I really want to take advantage of my upcoming purchases. Thanks!

Last edited by Yardley; Jul 2, 2019 at 5:16 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Yardley
...I was flagged for too many inquiries I guess due to the recent CSR application which I believe led them to look at some other issues on my credit report (long story).....
If Chase were concerned about something they had overlooked when processing the Sapphire Reserve application they would close the account. Whatever they saw on your credit history will also be seen by other issuers. These are automated mass-market companies, they are not interested in stories. The best thing you can do now is use the account and pay it in full each and every month.

Last edited by mia; Jul 5, 2019 at 3:55 am
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Yardley
Hi all, I'm a complete newbie to the credit card rewards world. I was approved for the CSR about two weeks ago and I already met the required spend for the sign up bonus! I have some big purchases coming up really soon and I am looking for a card with a good sign up bonus that will complement my CSR. I really wanted the CIP but my application got turned down. I was flagged for too many inquiries I guess due to the recent CSR application which I believe led them to look at some other issues on my credit report (long story). Any recommendations for non Chase cards to complement my current CSR? I really want to take advantage of my upcoming purchases. Thanks!
Originally Posted by mia
If Chase were concerned about something they had overlooked when processing the Sapphire Reserve application they would close the account. Whatever they saw on your credit history will also be seen by other issuers. These are automated mass-market companies, they are not interested in stories. The best thing you can do now is use the account and pay it in full each and every month.
I had concluded that Yardley's CIP application was probably denied because he had just opened a CSR two weeks prior (i.e., Chase 1/30 rule for business cards.)
aSiAnRiCk likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:19 pm

New Journey

Hi all,
New guy here. Great forum with lots of great information. Today I applied and got approved for the Chase Saphire Preferred and the Capital One Venture cards. 60k and 50k pts respectively. I should be able to meet the spending requirements without any issues. Have two tuition bills due both of which i can split between the mentioned cards. Plan to use pts to purchase both flights to visit family overseas. What's should be the next steps to continue earning pts?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS
Looking into cash rewards cards also. Since Chase quietly changed bonus eligibility from 24 months to 48 months, unable to now receive Chase bonus for at least a year.
This applies to all chase sapphire products. Both of us have or had a CSR or CSP card within the last 3 years.
Now , wedding coming up. Would like to put spend on a rewards card with lower AF. Looking at Savor Card from Capitol One. Anyone have experience with this card?
Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: Delta GM
Need some advice.

Here's what I've got
Delta 300k
Hilton Honors 170K

Amex: Business Delta Reserve, Business Platinum, Hilton Honors Business - Personal Platinum Delta

Need a new business card with 1M in annual spend. Want to maximize delta points and s-e officially MQMs. Not sure if I should just get the delta business platinum. Not eligible for business delta reserve rewards bonus as I have that card for another business.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you got a million a year to spend, why are you even bothering with miles and points?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: Delta GM
They're business expenses. looking to maximize personal points/rewards.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:39 am

Need advice for next card

Hey guys! I’m trying to figure out what card I should get next or if I should wait. Currently 4/24 & these are the cards I currently have:

CSP
CF
AMEX Gold
Discover It
Capital One Quicksilver

I travel mainly once a year. Monthly spend is about $2k & I have a cruise coming up at the end of next year that’ll be roughly $3k. Also not loyal to any airline/hotels currently.

I’m very new to churning & just need some insight on the best option. Thanks!!
Old Jun 21, 2020, 5:51 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by happychic
From your two posts this is what I gathered:

* Re-evaluating total spend of 70k/year on personal Amex cards
* Spend is mostly on Merchandise, Travel and Business Services
* Now looking for a recommendation for Visa/MC
* Would like to redeem travel rewards for JetBlue or Delta FC travel

Do you know what the breakdown of "Travel" and "Business Services" categories are? If a lot of the spend is on Airfare, consider getting Citi Prestige. The annual fee is a bit hefty at $495, but you get $250 travel credit that is easy to use, and you will get 5x Citi TY points on Airfare & Restaurants.

Another card that may be a good fit for you is a Chase Ink credit card. You didn't mention having or looking into getting any business credit cards, but it is easier to get one than you think. A lot of "Business Services" fall into categories that will earn you 5x Chase UR if you have the Chase Ink Cash card (no annual fee), 3x if you have the Chase Ink Preferred ($95). Note that if you only have the Ink Cash card, you will not be able to transfer those points to True Blue program, but you can still use those points on Chase UR portal to buy Delta and Jetblue plane tickets. Or you can combine those points with a CSR or CSP or Chase Ink Preferred card to transfer to True Blue program (1:1).

If you just want a workhorse in your wallet and be able to not have to pore over the miles and points situation, Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred are very popular for a reason.
Sorry, life happened and this fell by the wayside....but now I absolutely need this since my SPG/Marriott AMEX was compromised. I still have my work Plat AMEX and my Delta Platinum (I like having the Delta for my international airfare/points).

It must be a Visa so it can be used at Costco (I spend at least $2-3k per year at Costco alone)....and I want to accrue points at Costco (I seem to recall some cards don't issue rewards for warehouse spend). Most of my travel spend, IIRC, is hotels/VRBO and the like. Most of my airfare I try to buy on points. And Jet Blue is my other main airline, besides Delta.

I love the reward % on the Citi Costco card, but having to worry about the dang refund check is annoying. I much prefer getting vacations for almost free rather than cash back. So I think that leaves me with Chase Sapphire (Preferred or Reserve). I'm leaning towards Preferred since I already have 2 AMEX Platinum cards. Or Capital One Venture, but the rewards aren't as nice.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Sorry, life happened and this fell by the wayside....but now I absolutely need this since my SPG/Marriott AMEX was compromised. I still have my work Plat AMEX and my Delta Platinum (I like having the Delta for my international airfare/points).

It must be a Visa so it can be used at Costco (I spend at least $2-3k per year at Costco alone)....and I want to accrue points at Costco (I seem to recall some cards don't issue rewards for warehouse spend). Most of my travel spend, IIRC, is hotels/VRBO and the like. Most of my airfare I try to buy on points. And Jet Blue is my other main airline, besides Delta.

I love the reward % on the Citi Costco card, but having to worry about the dang refund check is annoying. I much prefer getting vacations for almost free rather than cash back. So I think that leaves me with Chase Sapphire (Preferred or Reserve). I'm leaning towards Preferred since I already have 2 AMEX Platinum cards. Or Capital One Venture, but the rewards aren't as nice.

Thoughts?
US Bank Altitude Reserve. Will give you effective 4.5% at Costco, hotels, not sure how VRBO codes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.