Wiki Posts
Search

What card to apply for next?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by abhisheks77
I have looked into your suggested card and the ones in thepointsguy website. I am trying to understand this math.
For example, if I choose to go with 'Chase Sapphire Preferred Card' gives 60,000 points. And 5 points per dollar on travel purchased only through Chase Travel portal. If I spend $8000 on tickets then I will get 40,000 points. Is there any direct math to know, these 60,000 + 40,000 points will be equivalent to what money?

In India I may have to travel domestic almost every month. Major domestic airlines are Indigo, SpiceJet, AirAsia, Vistara, GoFirst. How will I know, my 'Chase Sapphire Preferred Card' will help in earning miles on them as well, or if I can use earned miles in Indian domestic airlines?
I don't know which, if any, India-based airlines are bookable via the Chase travel portal. That's a question which you might want to post in a separate thread in the FT Chase forum; or contact Chase directly and inquire. Travel booked outside of the Chase travel portal earns two points per dollar.

I believe that the Chase travel portal is powered by Expedia, and Expedia is selling flights on both Air India, and Indigo. (Whether that means that those airlines are also bookable via the Chase travel portal, I do not know.)

UR points are worth a minimum of one cent apiece for holders of the Sapphire Preferred card; you can always redeem your points at that rate for a statement credit, if you cannot get better value by redeeming for travel portal purchases, converting to Hyatt points, converting to airline miles, etc. For your international trips from India, you might be able to get good value by transferring to one of Chase's airline partners. For example, United Miles are redeemable on Star Alliance carriers, including Lufthansa, Swiss, Turkish, Thai, etc.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
I believe that the Chase travel portal is powered by Expedia,....
This has changed: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ty-portal.html
guv1976 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It looks like, if I go with Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, it will help me to collect miles on international travel. But domestic would be chance.

Regarding my other question of miles, will it be only holder of card whose miles will be considered. When I said that total cost of 3 tickets will be $8000, it was for me and other 2 family members.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like, if I go with Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, it will help me to collect miles on international travel. But domestic would be chance.

Regarding my other question of miles, will it be only holder of card whose miles will be considered. When I said that total cost of 3 tickets will be $8000, it was for me and other 2 family members.
Domestic (India) travel would still earn two points per dollar if not booked through the Chase travel portal.

The points you earn for charges made on the Chase Sapphire Preferred card are based on the amount you charge to the card. If you charge $8,000 of travel to the card, you will earn points based on the $8,000 spent; it does not matter who the tickets are for. But if you are buying tickets that can earn miles in an airline frequent-flyer program, you will earn miles for your ticket, your wife will earn miles for her ticket, etc.

By the way, are these one-way tickets you are buying? On some international routes, one-ways can cost more than roundtrips.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:32 pm

By the way, are these one-way tickets you are buying? On some international routes, one-ways can cost more than roundtrips.
Yes, it is one way. I checked and Seattle to delhi round trip is even higher. If I board at SFO, I can save few hundred dollars. I will not be coming back for very long. That is the reason I searched for one way. I was looking for August or till mid September. Looks like it is busy season and this is busy route.
I am also checking tor breaking journey. For example - Seattle to somewhere, stay for 4-5 days and then to Delhi.
So far I always have travelled in economy and with different airlines. So never thought of miles importance. This time I will be going in business and spending more than usual, so I am thinking to it’s benefit, if I can 🙂
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it is one way. I checked and Seattle to delhi round trip is even higher. If I board at SFO, I can save few hundred dollars. I will not be coming back for very long. That is the reason I searched for one way. I was looking for August or till mid September. Looks like it is busy season and this is busy route.
Once you get your new credit card, I would double-check airfares before booking anything. It looks like Finnair recently had a one-way Business Class fare of $2,190 per person for SEA-HEL-DEL. If it should become available again, that would be a great deal for you. And you can credit Finnair flights to any oneworld frequent-flyer program, including AA, BA, QR, etc.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:38 pm

Once you get your new credit card, I would double-check airfares before booking anything. It looks like Finnair recently had a one-way Business Class fare of $2,190 per person for SEA-HEL-DEL. If it should become available again, that would be a great deal for you. And you can credit Finnair flights to any oneworld frequent-flyer program, including AA, BA, QR, etc.
I will apply for the card soon, after some more research.
That finnair would be nice if I can catch it, I will keep an eye on its promotions, etc. Thanks for great tip.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:09 am

Best CC for travel to London from USA?

I want to take my family of 4 to London in the summer of 2023. We live in Milwaukee, WI USA. I'm flexible on dates (May-August), airports (Milwaukee or Chicago), and airlines. I've never flown to London before so I'm not sure what the preferred flights or routes are.

My wife and I are currently under the Chase 5/24. Neither of us have opened a Chase card in the last 24 months. We both previously have had Chase Sapphire, Ink Business, and Southwest cards. I currently have a Chase Sapphire Reserved that I will close soon. Our monthly spend is around $5k, and we have some large purchases coming up that we could easily hit most of the required 3-month spends.

My primary goal is to use as many miles/points as possible to bring the cost of flights down as much as possible. Booking hotels with points is a secondary goal.

What credit card(s) do you suggest we apply for? What airlines, airports, routes do you suggest?

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by mia
The issuer is required by law to state the reason. Try to find the letters and review them.

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...R&viewfullsite

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program?
Is it worth the effort to transfer EMIRATES miles to my existing AA or United miles acct? Thx
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miserkris
Is it worth the effort to transfer EMIRATES miles to my existing AA or United miles acct? Thx
How, exactly, would you do that?
EmailKid and dollar like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:49 pm
mia

Originally Posted by breathtaking424
....under the Chase 5/24. Neither of us have opened a Chase card in the last 24 months. ....
Welcome to Flyertalk.

To be sure there is no misunderstanding, Chase 5/24 refers to the total number of personal cards opened from ALL issuers in the past 24 months, not only cards issued by Chase.

Are you intending to fly in economy class or in a premium cabin?
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jul 1, 2022 at 5:57 pm
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:18 am

@mia
We're intending to fly economy.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@mia
We're intending to fly economy.
Suggest that you price award trips for four at aa.com, delta.com, and united.com for your preferred dates of travel, to get an idea of what each FFP is currently charging for the trips. You can also mix and match, i.e., redeem for travel to London with one program, and back from London with another. (Note that Delta imposes a hefty overseas-origination surcharge for one-way awards originating in London.)

I would also check cash ticket prices. There are several credit cards whose points can be redeemed as cash for airline-ticket purchases. But frequent-flyer award tickets are generally more flexible than cash tickets. AA and DL award tickets are now fully refundable up to departure date if your plans should change -- or if you should find a better deal elsewhere.

If you plan to check bags -- as opposed to just bringing carry-ons -- note that frequent-flyer tickets between the U.S. and London typically include one free checked bag per passenger; the cheapest cash fares do not.
GUWonder, SPN Lifer and EmailKid like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:21 pm

Great advice!
I've been doing this a bit backwards I think - I was starting with the airline programs like Flying Blue & British Airways. Now I got a good idea of what they are asking for with economy points flights. It looks like I'll need around 120k-160k for round trip from Chicago to London for 4.
Now I'm thinking of these cards which will get me more than enough points:
Chase Sapphire Preferred (60k intro)
Capitol One Venture (75k intro)
Citi Premier (80k intro)

Am I going about this wrong?
Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:40 pm
mia

Great advice!
....Now I got a good idea of what they are asking for with economy points flights. It looks like I'll need around 120k-160k for round trip from Chicago to London for 4.
How are you checking? You need to look at some actual dates to see availability and real mileage + fee requirements. You won't see this by looking at award charts alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.