Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rasheed
As of August 14, 2018, Capital One currently offers the Savor card in two versions:

Savor ($95 AF with first year free): https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...ining-rewards/

4% on Dining and Entertainment
4% on Streaming (since 2020)
3% on Grocery Stores (since May 18, 2021)
1% elsewhere

SavorOne (no AF): https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...ining-rewards/ (this is the same terms of the old Savor available before August 13, 2018)

3% on Dining and Entertainment
3% on Streaming (since 2020)
3% on Grocery Stores (since May 18, 2021)
1% elsewhere

All no-AF Savor legacy cardholders as of August 13, 2018 were upgraded to the 4% Savor card without any AF forever (as long as they have the card). Based on the annual fee, this IS the most generous dining and entertainment card in the industry. The main reason to have a Capital One card was primarily because of the easy cash back redemption process and the truly no FTF. This card also has a contactless chip which is still pretty rare for US-based cards.

The Savor card originally started as the Premier Dining name, but that was changed to Savor at some point (existing cardholders became Savor cardholders). Then the Savor card became available for Product Change in mid-2018.

The bonus categories do apply worldwide as long as the merchant uses a relevant category (unlike AmEx).

What qualifies for 4%?

What counts as dining?

Purchases at restaurants, cafes, bars, lounges, fast-food chains and bakeries.

What counts as entertainment?

Buying tickets to a movie, play, concert, sporting event, tourist attraction, theme park, aquarium, zoo, dance club, pool hall or bowling alley. Also, making purchases at record store and video rental locations. This excludes non-industry entertainment merchant codes like cable, digital streaming, and subscription services.

What counts as a grocery store?

A supermarket, meat locker, freezer, dairy product store and specialty market. Excludes superstores like Walmart® and Target®.
From an MCC perspective, here are the notable categories that appear to have been included:

4% categories (based on the descriptions matching)
5462 - Bakeries
5812 - Eating Places and Restaurants
5813 - Bars and Nightclubs
5814 - Fast Food

5737 - Record stores
7832 - Motion Picture Theaters (I do not know if 7833 was included which appears to be the Fandango, atom type stuff)
7841 - Video Rental Stores
7911 - Dance Hall, Studios and Schools
7922 - Theatrical Productions and Ticket Agencies
7929 - Bands, Orchestras and Misc Entertainers
7932 - Billiards and Pool Establishments
7933 - Bowling Alley
7941 - Commercial Sports, Athletic Fields and Sports Promoters
7991 - Tourist Attractions and Exhibits
7996 - Amusement Parks, Carnivals and Circuses (Most big theme parks fit in this one. Some like Universal apply this code to all stores and food in the park.)
7998 - Aquariums and Zoos
7999 - Recreation services not elsewhere classified

Streaming Services (not Amazon, audio or cable/satellite services)
Popular Streaming Services
Streaming purchases made from eligible music and video streaming services including:
Apple.com, iTunes and Apple Music
Bandcamp
DirecTV
Disney+
ESPN+
FuboTV
HBO Now
Hulu
Netflix
Peacock
Sirius XM
Sling TV
Spotify
Starz Entertainment
Tidal
YouTube TV

Grocery at 3% includes supermarket, meat locker, freezer, dairy product store (most ice cream places categorize here) and specialty market

5411 – Grocery Stores and Supermarkets
5422 – Freezer and Locker Meat Provisioners
5451 – Dairy Products Stores
5499 – Miscellaneous Food Stores – Convenience Stores and Specialty Markets
NOT 5441 – Candy, Nut, and Confectionery Stores

Notably, this card does not include bookstores which often allows Amazon purchases to be counted. Other entertainment cards have kept bookstores in the list typically. Some Wal-Mart Neighborhood and Super Targets will qualify if they are categorized as groceries and not discount stores, but this is a case by case situation.
Print Wikipost

Capital One Savor Card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Yes, as long as the restaurant is categorized correctly by the card processor.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 10:28 am

Various blogs are reporting that from June 12, 2020 to Sep 30, 2020, streaming services will count at the Entertainment level (4% or 3%) for Savor family cards.

However, no email yet or website post directly from Capital One. Venture also added this category for redemption. I wish Capital One would put out a comprehensive list of included services like AmEx or Chase. I am seeing if it makes sense to pay my annual for Sling on this card or not, but they never mention that one in the sample list.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
Various blogs are reporting that from June 12, 2020 to Sep 30, 2020, streaming services will count at the Entertainment level (4% or 3%) for Savor family cards.

However, no email yet or website post directly from Capital One. Venture also added this category for redemption. I wish Capital One would put out a comprehensive list of included services like AmEx or Chase. I am seeing if it makes sense to pay my annual for Sling on this card or not, but they never mention that one in the sample list.
I threw HBO Max on there (not covered by Chase Freedom) before the email went out and it coded properly and got the 4%. I think they're just looking at the MCC, rather than a select list of services.
rasheed likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 1:25 pm

And I just went ahead and did my Sling annual pay and the full amount got 4%. It does say Cable/Phone on the website because Capital One does not show the finer MCC categorization, but it worked. Maybe they will offer this again next year/summer when I have to renew (and before the Sling price guarantee ends on 8/1/21).
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS
Since AF just posted, decided to cancel Savor Card. Do not see getting much value from this card heading into the next year or two.
Made sure I cashed out first.
Interesting, CS rep made no effort to either ask why cancelling card or any retention offer. AF will credit back because cancelled within 45 days of posting.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 1:02 pm

Savor and Uber Eats have partnered for 5% back on those purchases through 1/31/2021 from email received today. Looks like Venture has it too.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 3:19 pm

Savor and Uber Eats have partnered for 5% back on those purchases through 1/31/2021 from email received today. Looks like Venture has it too.
Also Savor One.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Uber has various promotions with Amex (Amex Plat credits), Capital One (these enhanced earnings), Barclays (Uber branded card), Goldman Sachs (3% back on Uber/Uber Eats) and I’m sure many others, interesting strategy
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:27 pm

Capital One Savor

Been wanting this card for a while. But I just got the CSP late June then the CFF last week.

How long should I wait to apply for the Savor. I'm just at 5/24 and feel I'm pretty set with Chase for now.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Been wanting this card for a while. But I just got the CSP late June then the CFF last week.

How long should I wait to apply for the Savor. I'm just at 5/24 and feel I'm pretty set with Chase for now.
Asked. Answered. And Approved!
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Asked. Answered. And Approved!
Congratulations, I think Cap1 has become quite stingy on approvals for this card. Did you get a useful CL? I feel like Cap1 was getting destroyed by people dropping their Lakers court-side season tickets on the Savor, but this year maybe it's not such a problem for them.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by time_stamp
Congratulations, I think Cap1 has become quite stingy on approvals for this card. Did you get a useful CL? I feel like Cap1 was getting destroyed by people dropping their Lakers court-side season tickets on the Savor, but this year maybe it's not such a problem for them.
Thanks. Got a good CL for this cards usage and it's msr. Was pleasantly surprised.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 8:18 am

So my Savor card isn't getting the usage I would have hoped since there is a pause on payment for both sports teams I have season tickets. Anyone called CO and tried to get the annual fee waved due Covid and not taking full advantage of the card?
Old Nov 28, 2020, 3:24 pm

Streaming providers extended on 4% or 3% tier until at least April 30, 2021 now. This is a smaller select list including Netflix and a few others. You are on your own if you are trying others, but I have been successful even when not on the list like Sling.

I am not sure why they don't make it a permanent category addition, but this is at least the third extension.

So, you can enjoy your extra 6 cents or 8 cents monthly discount if you are taking Hulu's BF 2020 $1.99 per month for a year promo.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler Gold, Delta Gold, Alaska/VX Gold, SPG Gold for Life
AF and Streaming

My AF after my first year is at the end of the month. Sadly, not a lot of dining options during a pandemic. I called today to discuss if the fee could be waived. Was told they can't tell me until it's posted, but that the csr can submit a request to the system. I followed up with what is the criteria for whether the system waives the fee or not, but the person did not know. I also asked if there was an 4% back on streaming services, but again no information about that. I just charged my Spotify monthly charge and will report back if I get 4%. Has anybody else been successful at getting their AF waived?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.