Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rasheed
As of August 14, 2018, Capital One currently offers the Savor card in two versions:

Savor ($95 AF with first year free): https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...ining-rewards/

4% on Dining and Entertainment
4% on Streaming (since 2020)
3% on Grocery Stores (since May 18, 2021)
1% elsewhere

SavorOne (no AF): https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...ining-rewards/ (this is the same terms of the old Savor available before August 13, 2018)

3% on Dining and Entertainment
3% on Streaming (since 2020)
3% on Grocery Stores (since May 18, 2021)
1% elsewhere

All no-AF Savor legacy cardholders as of August 13, 2018 were upgraded to the 4% Savor card without any AF forever (as long as they have the card). Based on the annual fee, this IS the most generous dining and entertainment card in the industry. The main reason to have a Capital One card was primarily because of the easy cash back redemption process and the truly no FTF. This card also has a contactless chip which is still pretty rare for US-based cards.

The Savor card originally started as the Premier Dining name, but that was changed to Savor at some point (existing cardholders became Savor cardholders). Then the Savor card became available for Product Change in mid-2018.

The bonus categories do apply worldwide as long as the merchant uses a relevant category (unlike AmEx).

What qualifies for 4%?

What counts as dining?

Purchases at restaurants, cafes, bars, lounges, fast-food chains and bakeries.

What counts as entertainment?

Buying tickets to a movie, play, concert, sporting event, tourist attraction, theme park, aquarium, zoo, dance club, pool hall or bowling alley. Also, making purchases at record store and video rental locations. This excludes non-industry entertainment merchant codes like cable, digital streaming, and subscription services.

What counts as a grocery store?

A supermarket, meat locker, freezer, dairy product store and specialty market. Excludes superstores like Walmart® and Target®.
From an MCC perspective, here are the notable categories that appear to have been included:

4% categories (based on the descriptions matching)
5462 - Bakeries
5812 - Eating Places and Restaurants
5813 - Bars and Nightclubs
5814 - Fast Food

5737 - Record stores
7832 - Motion Picture Theaters (I do not know if 7833 was included which appears to be the Fandango, atom type stuff)
7841 - Video Rental Stores
7911 - Dance Hall, Studios and Schools
7922 - Theatrical Productions and Ticket Agencies
7929 - Bands, Orchestras and Misc Entertainers
7932 - Billiards and Pool Establishments
7933 - Bowling Alley
7941 - Commercial Sports, Athletic Fields and Sports Promoters
7991 - Tourist Attractions and Exhibits
7996 - Amusement Parks, Carnivals and Circuses (Most big theme parks fit in this one. Some like Universal apply this code to all stores and food in the park.)
7998 - Aquariums and Zoos
7999 - Recreation services not elsewhere classified

Streaming Services (not Amazon, audio or cable/satellite services)
Popular Streaming Services
Streaming purchases made from eligible music and video streaming services including:
Apple.com, iTunes and Apple Music
Bandcamp
DirecTV
Disney+
ESPN+
FuboTV
HBO Now
Hulu
Netflix
Peacock
Sirius XM
Sling TV
Spotify
Starz Entertainment
Tidal
YouTube TV

Grocery at 3% includes supermarket, meat locker, freezer, dairy product store (most ice cream places categorize here) and specialty market

5411 – Grocery Stores and Supermarkets
5422 – Freezer and Locker Meat Provisioners
5451 – Dairy Products Stores
5499 – Miscellaneous Food Stores – Convenience Stores and Specialty Markets
NOT 5441 – Candy, Nut, and Confectionery Stores

Notably, this card does not include bookstores which often allows Amazon purchases to be counted. Other entertainment cards have kept bookstores in the list typically. Some Wal-Mart Neighborhood and Super Targets will qualify if they are categorized as groceries and not discount stores, but this is a case by case situation.
Print Wikipost

Capital One Savor Card

Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:54 pm

Was going to apply for the No Fee Savor but after reading this I'm not sure if it will be worth it. What are the ramifications if denied as far as my credit report, etc?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS
Just got off the phone with Capitol One. Applied and was accepted for Savor Card. As stated on CapitolOne site, Savor card AF is $95, waived for first year.
Opened new account on July22. July 23, AF posted to account. Did not see this right away as I was not able to access account. Double Verification issues, they did not like my mobile #.
Called and got it all straighted out. Then saw AF posting while I was on phone with agent.
She looked into it and said that I must have agreed to this in my T&C on original application. I am one who actually reads all T&C when asked to accept.
She said look at booklet received with card. Went through all materials received with card and NO WHERE doe it say my AF is NOT waived for first year.
She promised to research after I directed her to their own site. She was able to see terms on their site. Savor has $95, waived for first year or SavorOne with no AF.
She called me back today and they will not back down on charging the AF on my account.
She(supervisor) said that she was trying to" issue a credit and system would not allow it".
Still not sure what will happen, she will call back on Monday. Not holding out much hope at this point.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
The system doesn't allow it? That's because the computers have more power than the CEO in companies these days.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
If it matters to you, CFPB complaint is next. Focus on Capital One not following the terms of their offer. That may make your request more interesting to CFPB. Although, 99% of the time, all they really do is ask the issuer to respond.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:13 pm

Has anybody been able to downgrade to the no fee version from the fee version after receiving the $500 bonus?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:54 am

Most people who get the Savor as a new card should be auto-assigned a WEMC. Savor/SavorOne is probably one of the best options to use with the WEMC/Fandango promotions to get 3 or 4% on top of the other bonuses.

https://tickets.fandango.com/promo/v...vip_landingmod
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by pcoll
Just got off the phone with Capitol One. Applied and was accepted for Savor Card. As stated on CapitolOne site, Savor card AF is $95, waived for first year.
Opened new account on July22. July 23, AF posted to account. Did not see this right away as I was not able to access account. Double Verification issues, they did not like my mobile #.
Called and got it all straighted out. Then saw AF posting while I was on phone with agent.
She looked into it and said that I must have agreed to this in my T&C on original application. I am one who actually reads all T&C when asked to accept.
She said look at booklet received with card. Went through all materials received with card and NO WHERE doe it say my AF is NOT waived for first year.
She promised to research after I directed her to their own site. She was able to see terms on their site. Savor has $95, waived for first year or SavorOne with no AF.
She called me back today and they will not back down on charging the AF on my account.
She(supervisor) said that she was trying to" issue a credit and system would not allow it".
Still not sure what will happen, she will call back on Monday. Not holding out much hope at this point.
UPDATE
Capitol One sent the paperwork 2 weeks later , with Account Terms Booklet.
They gave me $100 statement credit with the $95 AF in place for the year.
So, bottom line, I made $5.00!!! Not worth all the time and effort.
Did put our daughters wedding on card. Coded as Fine Dining, so that worked out well.
Will probably keep card as we travel quite a bit and eating out is pretty regular charge for us.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:33 pm

Just hit my one year anniversary. Called the number on the back of the card and asked about any retention offers. Customer service rep said there was an annual fee waiver available and applied it to the account, call took about 5 mins!

Not a load of spend on the card past the MSR for the $500 bonus. Bits and bobs of groceries and 4x dining along the way.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:31 am

How's CapitalOne's customer service and propensity for hair-trigger fraud blockages? I'm looking for a no AF, no forex fee MC for traveling outside the US in case I have issues with my Visa or Amex cards and am trying to decide between the SavorOne and an HSBC card. Rewards and benefits are very low priorities for this purpose.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:53 pm

I have not had an issue with any card hold done by Capital One for overseas use. I believe Capital One has the best exchange rate because they do not pass along the 1% fee issued by MC or Visa. MC tends to be slightly better than Visa, but not by much.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by rasheed
I have not had an issue with any card hold done by Capital One for overseas use. I believe Capital One has the best exchange rate because they do not pass along the 1% fee issued by MC or Visa. MC tends to be slightly better than Visa, but not by much.
If I'm reading posts in Foreign exchange rates discussion [FOREX]--all cards correctly, there is no longer a 1% fee unless explicitly disclosed.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by richarddd
If I'm reading posts in Foreign exchange rates discussion [FOREX]--all cards correctly, there is no longer a 1% fee unless explicitly disclosed.
In my experience, MC's rates are better than Visa's but only by like 0.3-0.4% (at least for GBP). In other words, probably not something to be really worried about.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:07 pm

The 1% Visa and MC fee still exists, but I have never seen it broken out by any bank - just built into the rate used for the exchange. Supposedly, Capital One backs out this fee from the rate, but it is really difficult to test this because of how fluid the rates are done. I have felt though that Capital One did the cleanest job and exchange rate with transactions.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rasheed
The 1% Visa and MC fee still exists, but I have never seen it broken out by any bank - just built into the rate used for the exchange. Supposedly, Capital One backs out this fee from the rate, but it is really difficult to test this because of how fluid the rates are done. I have felt though that Capital One did the cleanest job and exchange rate with transactions.
I consider that fee similar to how the Apple Pay fee structure works, in that it's the issuing bank that's responsible for it. How issuers cover that cost is up to them; while many/most cards likely cover it as part of the FTF that they charge, some may use some other mechanism to do so. If it was actually hidden in the exchange rates, I would expect the various credit unions that only charge 1% FTF (e.g. UNFCU) to switch to zero FTF for all cards since they only do so to pass the network's fee onto cardholders.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:24 pm

Question Capital One Savor at non-US restaurants

When used for dining outside the US, do you still earn 4% (Savor) or 3% (SavorOne) cash back?
(Sorry for such a basic question; the T&C's don't explicitly address this and every combination of search terms I could think of returned information about the foreign transaction fee.)

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.