Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rasheed
As of August 14, 2018, Capital One currently offers the Savor card in two versions:

Savor ($95 AF with first year free): https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...ining-rewards/

4% on Dining and Entertainment
4% on Streaming (since 2020)
3% on Grocery Stores (since May 18, 2021)
1% elsewhere

SavorOne (no AF): https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...ining-rewards/ (this is the same terms of the old Savor available before August 13, 2018)

3% on Dining and Entertainment
3% on Streaming (since 2020)
3% on Grocery Stores (since May 18, 2021)
1% elsewhere

All no-AF Savor legacy cardholders as of August 13, 2018 were upgraded to the 4% Savor card without any AF forever (as long as they have the card). Based on the annual fee, this IS the most generous dining and entertainment card in the industry. The main reason to have a Capital One card was primarily because of the easy cash back redemption process and the truly no FTF. This card also has a contactless chip which is still pretty rare for US-based cards.

The Savor card originally started as the Premier Dining name, but that was changed to Savor at some point (existing cardholders became Savor cardholders). Then the Savor card became available for Product Change in mid-2018.

The bonus categories do apply worldwide as long as the merchant uses a relevant category (unlike AmEx).

What qualifies for 4%?

What counts as dining?

Purchases at restaurants, cafes, bars, lounges, fast-food chains and bakeries.

What counts as entertainment?

Buying tickets to a movie, play, concert, sporting event, tourist attraction, theme park, aquarium, zoo, dance club, pool hall or bowling alley. Also, making purchases at record store and video rental locations. This excludes non-industry entertainment merchant codes like cable, digital streaming, and subscription services.

What counts as a grocery store?

A supermarket, meat locker, freezer, dairy product store and specialty market. Excludes superstores like Walmart® and Target®.
From an MCC perspective, here are the notable categories that appear to have been included:

4% categories (based on the descriptions matching)
5462 - Bakeries
5812 - Eating Places and Restaurants
5813 - Bars and Nightclubs
5814 - Fast Food

5737 - Record stores
7832 - Motion Picture Theaters (I do not know if 7833 was included which appears to be the Fandango, atom type stuff)
7841 - Video Rental Stores
7911 - Dance Hall, Studios and Schools
7922 - Theatrical Productions and Ticket Agencies
7929 - Bands, Orchestras and Misc Entertainers
7932 - Billiards and Pool Establishments
7933 - Bowling Alley
7941 - Commercial Sports, Athletic Fields and Sports Promoters
7991 - Tourist Attractions and Exhibits
7996 - Amusement Parks, Carnivals and Circuses (Most big theme parks fit in this one. Some like Universal apply this code to all stores and food in the park.)
7998 - Aquariums and Zoos
7999 - Recreation services not elsewhere classified

Streaming Services (not Amazon, audio or cable/satellite services)
Popular Streaming Services
Streaming purchases made from eligible music and video streaming services including:
Apple.com, iTunes and Apple Music
Bandcamp
DirecTV
Disney+
ESPN+
FuboTV
HBO Now
Hulu
Netflix
Peacock
Sirius XM
Sling TV
Spotify
Starz Entertainment
Tidal
YouTube TV

Grocery at 3% includes supermarket, meat locker, freezer, dairy product store (most ice cream places categorize here) and specialty market

5411 – Grocery Stores and Supermarkets
5422 – Freezer and Locker Meat Provisioners
5451 – Dairy Products Stores
5499 – Miscellaneous Food Stores – Convenience Stores and Specialty Markets
NOT 5441 – Candy, Nut, and Confectionery Stores

Notably, this card does not include bookstores which often allows Amazon purchases to be counted. Other entertainment cards have kept bookstores in the list typically. Some Wal-Mart Neighborhood and Super Targets will qualify if they are categorized as groceries and not discount stores, but this is a case by case situation.
Print Wikipost

Capital One Savor Card

Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
In light of certain merchants not getting bonus rewards on other dining cards, I ran into my first non-bonus situation with Yelp/Eat24. I am unsure if Doordash, UberEars or others have this issue. I assume Postmates was specially fixed because of the cross promotion.

in general, Capital One is not changing specific merchants and pushing back on category issues.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:38 pm

FICO over 800 but still got instant declined. Does capitalone also track how many cards opened recently?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by tomprc
FICO over 800 but still got instant declined. Does capitalone also track how many cards opened recently?
Similar story. In the rejection letter they say too many credit card lines open in the last 24 months.

I think at least 6 opened in that time frame, which actually does sound like a lot ...

But the Wiki doesn't seem to note that they track how many cards you've opened.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:51 am

Capital One is rather strict and "too many" inquiries/new accounts does seem to be a problem for them (regardless of issuer). I got most of my accounts from the HSBC cards acquisition, and I've had to product change to get the cards I want.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I believe the reports are in THIS thread. It appears that Capital One will decline applications if they see that you have opened a number of accounts that are not used.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:40 pm

got my denial letter:
The reason(s) for our decision are: • Based on your credit report from Trans Union,number of bank cards tradelines opened in the last 24 months
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tomprc
....number of bank cards tradelines opened in the last 24 months
How many have you opened?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by mia
How many have you opened?
didnt count. But more than 6 for sure.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:07 pm

Unfortunately Capital One seems to have some type of 5/24 ish rule going on, at least for this specific product.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:55 pm

I have old school Capital One Rewards card. Capital One will only let me PC to Venture or QS, but I ultimately want Savor. Would I have any luck PC to one of those then PC again in the future to Savor?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:59 am

So, they didn't find SavorOne as an option? Yes, I would support taking the QS and trying again every so often to PC to SavorOne.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by crabapplemcn
I have old school Capital One Rewards card. Capital One will only let me PC to Venture or QS, but I ultimately want Savor. Would I have any luck PC to one of those then PC again in the future to Savor?
Yes you will.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:12 am

Id like to add a "Dining/Entertainment" card and am considering this one.

From looking at the 4% vs 3% option in this card, I'm assuming a person would want to do the 4% with the $500 bonus and then cancel after the year and before the first $95 AF kicks in (if that's allowed)?

Otherwise you're paying $95 per year for extra 1% (so you have to spend $9,500 to break even)?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
There seem to be data points of CapOne waiving the annual fee for those who call up and state they are cancelling due to that.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:58 am

It looks like Capital One has made the AF version one with metal as of 2019. I don't plan to request one just because of this change, but they should flow to customers automatically at renewal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.