Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

BofA Premium Rewards - What works for airline expense reimbursement?

Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uppereastsider
Successful Credits:
  • AA $50 gift card
  • AA $100 gift card
  • AA taxes and seat fees paid on award, $94.80
  • AA $11.20 taxes paid on award
  • AA miles purchase, $100 reimbursed on $225 purchase
  • AA first class upgrade that cost 145
  • AS drinks
  • AS award taxes ($5.60)
  • AS bag fee ($30)
  • B6 bag fee
  • B6 EMS purchase
  • B6 seat selection (from basic fare)
  • DL taxes paid on domestic award, also award from Caribbean to US
  • DL First Class buyup (prior to OLCI)
  • HA taxes
  • HA seat selection fee
  • HA bag fee
  • UA taxes paid on international award, Europe to US one-way
  • UA small fee reimbursed when paying for one-way ticket with electronic ticket certificate
  • UA WiFi subscription
  • WN $16 fee
  • WN award fee
  • WN early bird fee
  • WN in-flight movie
  • WN $11.20 TSA fee
  • WN $39 o/w ticket
  • WN $40+ charge + travel fund for o/w ticket
  • UA $100 United TravelBank Cash (mobile site)
  • UA $100 United TravelBank Cash (desktop site) Go here to purchase: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Unsuccessful Credits:
  • Gogo, not billed by airlines
  • WN gift card
  • AS $125 change fee, which was billed in a separate transaction from the fare increase
  • AS $25 gift card

1/19/18 A BOA rep stated the following are eligible airlines for credits: AA, AS, UA, DL, WN, HA, B6, F9.

Print Wikipost

BofA Premium Rewards - What works for airline expense reimbursement?

Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by LAX
That's only temporary, right?

LAX
That's my understanding as well.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:52 pm

I thought it was temporary, but it is prominently advertised on the Travel Rewards page now, and it says nothing about it being temporary. It just says: "Redeem points for a statement credit to pay for flights, hotels, vacation packages, cruises, rental cars or baggage fees, or dining expenses, such as restaurants and takeout"
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by kdm31091
I thought it was temporary, but it is prominently advertised on the Travel Rewards page now, and it says nothing about it being temporary. It just says: "Redeem points for a statement credit to pay for flights, hotels, vacation packages, cruises, rental cars or baggage fees, or dining expenses, such as restaurants and takeout"
Thanks for sharing this, I just used my Travel Rewards card to pay for taxes but realized I didn't have much to cash out the cashback on. Having dining as an option is great. Can you share what page you saw this terms in? I can't find it anywhere in my travel rewards redemption portal. My blurb says "Travel-related purchases are eligible for a Travel Statement Credit including airfare, hotels, car rentals, baggage fees, upgrades and more. See Program Rules for the complete list of eligible purchase types."
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:06 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
It looks like you are on to something. Here is a cut & paste from the T&C link on the application page (bolded by me):

How You Use Your Points: Redeem points for a travel credit or cash reward starting at 2,500 points; gift card redemptions start at 3,125 points. How Your Travel Credit Works: A travel credit is applied as a statement credit to your account to offset travel and dining purchases from qualifying merchants in these travel or dining related categories: airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, trailer parks, motor home and recreational vehicle rentals, campgrounds, car rental agencies, truck and trailer rental, cruise lines, travel agencies, tour operators and real estate agents, operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, boat rentals, parking lots and garages, tolls and bridge fees, tourist attractions and exhibits like art galleries, amusement parks, carnivals, circuses, aquariums, zoos, eating places and restaurant, drinking places, bars, taverns, cocktail lounges, nightclubs, discotheques and fast food restaurants. Purchases from some merchants that provide travel or dining related goods and services will not be eligible for a travel credit, like in-flight goods and services, and duty-free airport purchases. Points may be redeemed for a statement credit to offset qualifying travel and dining purchases that occurred within 12 months prior to the date of redemption, but limited to the most recent 2,500 qualifying travel and dining purchases. Each point redeemed for a travel credit is worth $0.01 (2,500 points = $25).

I now might have to reconsider getting the Travel Rewards card.

LAX
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:25 pm

It seems like with dining being considered "travel" now, there's no point in paying for the Premium version for most people.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 7:42 pm
LAX

It seems like with dining being considered "travel" now, there's no point in paying for the Premium version for most people.
Not only that, I didn't realize the travel category is pretty broad, too. One can even redeem points for parking & road/bridge tolls. The potential downside as someone in the dedicated Travel Rewards card thread mentioned is that there are other more lucrative cards to put travel spend on, so one might lose out on that if the points can't be directly cashed out like the Premium Rewards card can.

LAX
kdm31091 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 11:56 am

Anyone has DP for the United Bank Fund purchase made after 1/5/2021? Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Just another DP for AA gift cards in 2021:

purchased $100 AA gift card online on 01/22
$100 travel credit posted on 01/27
Old Jan 30, 2021, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by popomama
I would like to know too!
Old Jan 30, 2021, 3:47 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by popomama
FWIW, UA has "reclassified" TB purchases recently (I think mid January), which stopped reimbursement via Amex credits. I won't be surprised that this change would kill reimbursement by BofA, too.

LAX
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
FWIW, UA has "reclassified" TB purchases recently (I think mid January), which stopped reimbursement via Amex credits. I won't be surprised that this change would kill reimbursement by BofA, too.

LAX
I'm aware of it, but was hoping BoA would treat things differently and it is a Visa.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 11:06 am
ccd

01/13/2021: purchase UA travel bank, $50
01/15/2021: transaction posted on BoA
01/21/2021: credit posted on BoA.
I think this is still before AMEX re-classification of UA travel bank.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 9:56 am

Hey all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on an AA $100 gc to burn up this BoA Preferred Rewards $100 airline credit. Not much I really can do with it at this point as I don't plan to keep it much longer, and no travel in the works.

Question: those of you purchasing AA gift cards with this, are you buying e-gift cards or standard? I'm assuming probably e-gifts?

There seems to be lots of data points saying it'll earn the credit so I'm hoping for no issues...but just wanted to clarify.

Thanks all!
Old Feb 4, 2021, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by guitarguy19
Hey all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on an AA $100 gc to burn up this BoA Preferred Rewards $100 airline credit. Not much I really can do with it at this point as I don't plan to keep it much longer, and no travel in the works.

Question: those of you purchasing AA gift cards with this, are you buying e-gift cards or standard? I'm assuming probably e-gifts?

There seems to be lots of data points saying it'll earn the credit so I'm hoping for no issues...but just wanted to clarify.

Thanks all!

From my memory, they charge an outrageous fee to ship a physical GC, so people here are probly doing eGC.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: IHG Silver
Originally Posted by guitarguy19
Hey all,

Thanks all!
Yes, e-gift. Some keeping for personal use, others like me selling online via places like CardCash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.