Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Print Wikipost

BofA Premium Rewards card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by sbft77
The Cash Rewards card I got last month is mastercard.
I would not like that since Costco only accepts Visa and I use it there to get 3.5% back (and 5.25% on gas)! If you're not a Costco member, then it probably doesn't matter.

Last edited by MisterBill; Nov 17, 2018 at 8:40 pm
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Any retention offers?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
If I have the premium card (attached to a checking account with preferred rewards up and running) and I apply for the cash rewards card, do I need to do anything to get the cash rewards card to attach to my preferred rewards or will this happen automatically?
One thing I'll follow up on is that with the premium rewards card I can go to charges posted and see the additional boost from preferred rewards status, I cannot see the boost from preferred rewards on the cash rewards card until I redeem into my BoA checking account (which you have to do in order to get the boost) according to the rep I just spoke to over the phone. In essence, the premium rewards card lets you apply to statement credit (easier) but the cash rewards card makes you redeem in into BoA checking account.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by slickvik
Any retention offers?
Just called and closed - the only offer was to transfer my credit line to another card with no annual-fee.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by mag_nate
Just called and closed - the only offer was to transfer my credit line to another card with no annual-fee.
Premium card essentially has a $0 fee if you do any kind of traveling thanks to the annual credit.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Premium card essentially has a $0 fee if you do any kind of traveling thanks to the annual credit.
You must have it confused with the CSR. The annual credit is much more restrictive on this card, just for domestic air travel incidentals. I'll keep it for next year since I've got a domestic flight in January and will spend $50 in bag fees in each direction for my wife and myself and that will cover the AF.

Last edited by MisterBill; Nov 17, 2018 at 8:38 pm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by slickvik
Any retention offers?
Closed mine out last week... no retention offer.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Superorb
I discount the value of the credit due to the hassle in redeeming for it. For example, I bought wi-fi twice in the last month on AA flights (viasat) and there wasn't any automatic reimbursement. I mentally value the hassle of calling in at like $20 per call. I don't have auto-reimbursed inflight incidentals such as food/drink/baggage because of AA EXP status either.

Easy credits like the Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Reserve I would agree with valuing at full face or near-face value, those take care of themselves very quickly compared to BofA PR.

Perhaps there is an easier way to get the credits manually reimbursed that I haven't figured out?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Perhaps there is an easier way to get the credits manually reimbursed that I haven't figured out?
When I've used it for a) taxes/upgrade fees when buying an award ticket on AA and b) baggage fees on JetBlue, the credit has been automatic. It seems like what they consider qualifying expenses is very limited and either they're not looking for the code your stuff is posting under or it's not intended to be included.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:32 am
Original Poster

The travel credit concept is like the Amex card travel credit. If dont travel at all you can buy an airline gift card and sell it or you use it for future travel. You can get up to 100 Travel credit so you are $5 positive after the annual fee. I guess that's why there are no retention offers for this card. I use this card heavily for places that I would only earn 1 point per dollar on my Gold Amex. I treat this card as 2.6% cash back card.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by trikotret
The travel credit concept is like the Amex card travel credit. If dont travel at all you can buy an airline gift card and sell it or you use it for future travel. You can get up to 100 Travel credit so you are $5 positive after the annual fee. I guess that's why there are no retention offers for this card. I use this card heavily for places that I would only earn 1 point per dollar on my Gold Amex. I treat this card as 2.6% cash back card.

You can get the no-fee BofA Travel Rewards card and get the same 2.625% back, although it has to be redeemed against travel expenses that you charge to the card. The big win with this card is the 3.5% back on restaurants and travel. And of course you can redeem for cash without having to go to the trouble of matching it to travel expenses.

Buying a gift card only works for certain airlines and if you sell it, you'll not going to end up whole.

If the $100 travel credit were easier to use, like the CSR, it would be a no-brainer to keep.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:50 pm

I would assume not but I also want confirmation from someone who has done this.

Also, what about using Apple Pay--does that still generate reimbursement credits when applicable?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by MisterBill
When I've used it for a) taxes/upgrade fees when buying an award ticket on AA and b) baggage fees on JetBlue, the credit has been automatic. It seems like what they consider qualifying expenses is very limited and either they're not looking for the code your stuff is posting under or it's not intended to be included.
That's frustrating. I bought some in-flight food/drink on Air Canada two weeks ago and no reimbursement has come through. I wish I could secure message and get reimbursed.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, AA Advantage, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Per BOA terms and conditions re airline credits:

"Qualifying transactions are those purchases made on domestic-originated flights on certain U.S.-domestic airline carriers"

So will bag fees on AA flights to/from the Caribbean be reimbursed?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by ralphs
That's frustrating. I bought some in-flight food/drink on Air Canada two weeks ago and no reimbursement has come through. I wish I could secure message and get reimbursed.
Little known fact, they have secure messaging via Facebook!

https://socialapp.bankofamerica.com/facebook/home.jsp

Also, Air Canada is not in the list of qualifying airlines, presumably because it is not a U.S. carrier. I found this info on another site. I assume it's somewhere in this thread but Unfortunately the "Search this Thread" feature did not find it.

Fees on domestic-originated flights on certain U.S.-domestic airline carriers that include: preferred seating upgrades, ticket change/cancellation fees, checked baggage fees, in-flight entertainment, onboard food and beverage charges, and airport lounge fees affiliated with eligible airline carriers.

They list the following merchant category codes as qualifying: 3000, 3001, 3057, 3058, 3063, 3066, 3132, 3174, 3196 or 3256
  • 3000 – United
  • 3001 – American Airlines
  • 3057 – East/West Airline (Australia)
  • 3058 – Delta
  • 3063 – US Airways
  • 3066 – Southwest
  • 3132 – Frontier
  • 3174 – Jet Blue
  • 3196 – Hawaiian
  • 3256 – Alaskan
The 3057 one is odd.
EmailKid, ralphs and akr1970akr like this.

Last edited by MisterBill; Dec 10, 2018 at 10:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.