Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Print Wikipost

BofA Premium Rewards card

Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:44 pm

I have the regular Travel Rewards card. If I get this new card, is there a way to transfer over the points from the old card and then just cash them out for a statement credit, rather than having to match then up with travel purchases on the old card? thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by libralibra
I have the regular Travel Rewards card. If I get this new card, is there a way to transfer over the points from the old card and then just cash them out for a statement credit, rather than having to match then up with travel purchases on the old card? thanks.
Yup. You can transfer points between both cards and cash out at 1% rate with premium card. You can even cash the points to deposited in your BofA acct instead of credit on your card
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by trikotret

Yup. You can transfer points between both cards and cash out at 1% rate with premium card. You can even cash the points to deposited in your BofA acct instead of credit on your card
Thanks. btw is there a benefit to cashing into your bank account rather than a statement credit? Like with the Cash Rewards card, I think the Preferred Rewards bonus is only applied in the former, but not the latter case.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks. btw is there a benefit to cashing into your bank account rather than a statement credit? Like with the Cash Rewards card, I think the Preferred Rewards bonus is only applied in the former, but not the latter case.
Only benefit is your bank acct gets bigger lol
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by trikotret

Only benefit is your bank acct gets bigger lol
Until you have to pay the credit card bill, at which point it's a wash.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I also have both cards. I haven't been using the Travel Rewards card because the points can be used at full value only for travel purposes. However, as the Travel Rewards card gives me 1.6%k back on all purchases and the Premium Rewards card only gives 1.5% for non-travel purchases, I made an experiment and purchased something with the Travel Rewards card which earned me 36 points. Today I transferred the points to my Premium Rewards card and was credited for the full 36 points. Apparently, I would be best off using the Travel Rewards card for all non-travel purchases and each month transferring my points to the Premium Rewards card.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
However, as the Travel Rewards card gives me 1.6%k back on all purchases and the Premium Rewards card only gives 1.5% for non-travel purchases
For anyone confused as to why this would be the case, the TR card has the BOA "customer bonus" that gives you the bump in points without qualifying for preferred rewards., as long as you hold a BOA checking account. The PR card does not have this.
Explore SE Asia likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I also have both cards. I haven't been using the Travel Rewards card because the points can be used at full value only for travel purposes. However, as the Travel Rewards card gives me 1.6%k back on all purchases and the Premium Rewards card only gives 1.5% for non-travel purchases, I made an experiment and purchased something with the Travel Rewards card which earned me 36 points. Today I transferred the points to my Premium Rewards card and was credited for the full 36 points. Apparently, I would be best off using the Travel Rewards card for all non-travel purchases and each month transferring my points to the Premium Rewards card.
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
For anyone confused as to why this would be the case, the TR card has the BOA "customer bonus" that gives you the bump in points without qualifying for preferred rewards., as long as you hold a BOA checking account. The PR card does not have this.
​​​​​​​I was confused! I am considering the preferred rewards program. If I am a preferred rewards customer, the travel rewards card and the Premium Rewards card would earn the same on non-bonus category spend. Correct?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
​​​​​​​I was confused! I am considering the preferred rewards program. If I am a preferred rewards customer, the travel rewards card and the Premium Rewards card would earn the same on non-bonus category spend. Correct?
Correct, if you have any tier of PR the cards have the same earning structure for non-bonused spend.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:08 pm

I didn't know one can move points between Travel and the Premium card; this is good to know. But why would one have two of these cards? Travel is 1.5x on all purchases while Premium is the same except for dining/travel which is 2x.

Similar to Chase's cash credit cards, could the BofA Cash Reward card transfer points to Travel/Premium credit cards?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by robchow
I didn't know one can move points between Travel and the Premium card; this is good to know. But why would one have two of these cards? Travel is 1.5x on all purchases while Premium is the same except for dining/travel which is 2x.

Similar to Chase's cash credit cards, could the BofA Cash Reward card transfer points to Travel/Premium credit cards?
You'd have the other card because of the customer bonus, if you don't have PR. Or if you had it before you opened the other one. Or if you want a backup that doesn't cost $95 a year.

No, the cash cards earn 'cash' and not points, which can't be transferred anywhere.
robchow likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:52 pm
formerly atomicfront

No you would be better off getting a 2 percent on everything card.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by atomicfront
No you would be better off getting a 2 percent on everything card.
What 2 percent on everything card do you know which meets the following criteria?

1. No forex fees at all.
2. Does not cost more than $95 per year.
3. Is available to someone who lives outside of the US and has a bank account at BoA?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dw
It was previously reported here that using a Shopsafe number for Global Entry did not result in the credit automatically posting to the account.
...but using a ShopSafe number doesn't mess up the extra bonus points for travel & dining charges, does it?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:41 pm

Sorry everyone! I called to see if I could get a Premium Rewards card issued as a Mastercard. The agent checked with her manager, and apparently because of the card's benefits this is not possible. I was looking forward to using this for a slightly cash positive way to pay my mortgage via Plastiq.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.