Last edit by: rrgg
Print Wikipost

BofA Premium Rewards card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Dovster
You should do nothing right now. First wait until you get a reply from the credit analyst. When I applied I was told that the telephone rep could not approve any card on her own authority. She had to enter my request and then see if it gets immediate approval or if it would be sent to a credit analyst. If it did have to go to a credit analyst, she said, it would take about 5 days and that the analyst might want to speak to me on the phone.

I was calling from my home phone in Israel (which is on record with BoA) and told her that it (or my Israeli cellphone) are the only numbers the analyst could use as the other phone being shown is my sister's in the US. She told me that the analyst would not be allowed to make an international phone call. As it turned out, it did not matter because it was immediately approved and never sent to the analyst. I think a lot had to do with the facts that I have had BoA credit cards since 2003, was living in Israel at the time, never missed a payment, paid my complete balance each month, and have a FICO score of 820 (it will never be much higher because I do not have, and never did have, any other kind of debt).

At first, she also told me that as it is a new card it would have to be mailed to a US address. I told her that it was my sister's address, she is 77 years old, and I am not about to make her go to the Post Office to re-send the card to me. I said that if it is not mailed to me directly in Israel then I do not want it. She spoke to a supervisor and got approval for it to be mailed to me.
Can you tell me which number you called? The problem with waiting for the credit analyst to look into my app is that their decision will be sent by snail mail. Not exactly fast and it could take up to 30 days.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
Can you tell me which number you called? The problem with waiting for the credit analyst to look into my app is that their decision will be sent by snail mail. Not exactly fast and it could take up to 30 days.
I called the number printed on the back of my Travel Rewards card for collect calls from outside of the U.S. I then had to enter my Travel Rewards number. However, it does not matter what number you call, you will be put through to whatever city is available.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
After I talked to the credit analyst, I've been declined. I don't know how to freeze my EX, but apparently the rep told me the score and it's a little bit lower than my TU score as reported on my BoA account. My report overall is good. No negative issues. Unfortunately for me, I never really used my US credit cards so I don't have a whole lot of US history despite being with BoA for 12 years. This was the sole reason to decline my application. The funny thing is that my 12 year old BankAmericard Rewards got a credit limit increase. So what do I do next? Can I reapply in 30 days? If so, what are your advice? Should I call EX to freeze my report and call the credit analyst to pull my TU report one month from now? I feel like I'm "close" to getting this card.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
After I talked to the credit analyst, I've been declined. I don't know how to freeze my EX, but apparently the rep told me the score and it's a little bit lower than my TU score as reported on my BoA account. My report overall is good. No negative issues. Unfortunately for me, I never really used my US credit cards so I don't have a whole lot of US history despite being with BoA for 12 years. This was the sole reason to decline my application. The funny thing is that my 12 year old BankAmericard Rewards got a credit limit increase. So what do I do next? Can I reapply in 30 days? If so, what are your advice? Should I call EX to freeze my report and call the credit analyst to pull my TU report one month from now? I feel like I'm "close" to getting this card.
LMGTFY It's quite easy.

Having some small activity is always good since banks like to see that you're using your credit wisely. Pay off statements and never carry a balance.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:50 am

I had this card for a couple of months and I really like using the card. It is because I don't think to think if I will get bonus or not like I have with the Chase cards. With Chase, I think to think every time I use one of them. Is this going to be charged as Travel? Should I use my CSR? But what if it is one of those independent agency that did not registered a Travel with the credit card category? Should I just use the Freedom Unlimited get 1.5% for sure? Oh wait, they are operating out of a gas station location... maybe it will be charged as gas? Should I use my Freedom to get 5%... .wait is this quarter 5% on gas or supermarket?

Now if I am not 100% sure or just don't want to think about it... use the BoA card knowing that I will get at a minimum 2.62% back. The only problem with it is that you don't get to see your points build up. There is no reason to not apply it to your statement credit since there is no other option to give better value. It would be nice if they let you use the points for transfer to airlines or hotels.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Need
I had this card for a couple of months and I really like using the card. It is because I don't think to think if I will get bonus or not like I have with the Chase cards. With Chase, I think to think every time I use one of them. Is this going to be charged as Travel? Should I use my CSR? But what if it is one of those independent agency that did not registered a Travel with the credit card category? Should I just use the Freedom Unlimited get 1.5% for sure? Oh wait, they are operating out of a gas station location... maybe it will be charged as gas? Should I use my Freedom to get 5%... .wait is this quarter 5% on gas or supermarket?

Now if I am not 100% sure or just don't want to think about it... use the BoA card knowing that I will get at a minimum 2.62% back. The only problem with it is that you don't get to see your points build up. There is no reason to not apply it to your statement credit since there is no other option to give better value. It would be nice if they let you use the points for transfer to airlines or hotels.
I agree with you on everything except the 5% categories, since I will still use a different card for that. I just cancelled my CSR card so I'll be using this card for the travel and dining that used to go on that. I agree on the question of whether something will code as travel. With this card, if it does code that way, I get a little bonus, but if not I still get the 2.625% and not 1% as I would have with CSR.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:30 am

I
Now if I am not 100% sure or just don't want to think about it... use the BoA card knowing that I will get at a minimum 2.62% back. .
How do you get that much back? Is it because you keep a high enough balance on your various BoA accounts to qualify for ?

I only get 1.5% back on most purchases and 2% for travel and restaurants. I could meet BoA's requirements if it allowed me to have a Merrill Edge account but it will not because I live outside of the US. Schwab is not that picky so I have my account there. (Incidentally, Schwab gives me back any ATM charges, anywhere in the world, so I am probably better off staying there anyhow.)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:43 am

How do you get that much back? Is it because you keep a high enough balance on your various BoA accounts to qualify for ?

I only get 1.5% back on most purchases and 2% for travel and restaurants. I could meet BoA's requirements if it allowed me to have a Merrill Edge account but it will not because I live outside of the US. Schwab is not that picky so I have my account there. (Incidentally, Schwab gives me back any ATM charges, anywhere in the world, so I am probably better off staying there anyhow.)
In my case (and most other's I'd imagine), it's because of our Merrill Edge account.

That's too bad about ME not allowing you to have an account.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:49 am

I have a Merrill Edge account. If I only get 1.5%/2% back, I probably won't use it as I could have just use the Chase Freedom Unlimited and get 1.5 UR points and call it a day.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:02 am

When does the $100 GE credit post? Statement or a few days after charge posts?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
The only problem with it is that you don't get to see your points build up. There is no reason to not apply it to your statement credit since there is no other option to give better value. It would be nice if they let you use the points for transfer to airlines or hotels.
My opinion is that this is a feature, not a problem. Getting cash on a regular basis is preferable to me because I have over 1 million airline miles/hotel points/bank points stuck in programs and getting devalued on a regular basis, and not enough cash! Obviously YMMV.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:42 am

Okay, I received my BoA Premium Rewards card on June 6, with the promise of 50,000 points ($500) if I spend $3000 in three months. Today, I reached the $3000 level, although some of my charges (although $322 is st ill "pending". Does anyone know when I will get the bonus points? Is it immediately? Is it after the "pending" charges are confirmed? Is it when I pay for this month's charges (which will be on July 12)? Do I have to wait until the three month period is over?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:29 am

Okay, I received my BoA Premium Rewards card on June 6, with the promise of 50,000 points ($500) if I spend $3000 in three months. Today, I reached the $3000 level, although some of my charges (although $322 is st ill "pending". Does anyone know when I will get the bonus points? Is it immediately? Is it after the "pending" charges are confirmed? Is it when I pay for this month's charges (which will be on July 12)? Do I have to wait until the three month period is over?
After the charges post over $3k your 50k points will show up as pending and they'll post when your statement closes. I met spend and I see th e50k pending and am now just waiting for my statement to post.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
When does the $100 GE credit post? Statement or a few days after charge posts?
Few days after the charge posted for me for TSA Pre-check.
Superorb likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:12 am

I've had over $100K in a Merrill Edge account for the past year, and am thinking about applying for the Premium Rewards credit card. Is it fair to say that I won't be able to enjoy the extra 75% bump in rewards on credit card spend until 90 days after I open a BofA checking account too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.