Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Print Wikipost

BofA Premium Rewards card

Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:27 pm

Is this card good to use for funding new bank accounts? Can you lower the CA limit to something low? Do they tend to approve/decline bank funding?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Superorb
Applied for Premium card with EX frozen and instant decline. Called and they agreed to pulling TU. Approved for $17k CL. 1/6, 5/7, 6/12. Preferred Gold. Then today CK is showing 2 TU pulls for a single call and a single app. Crossing my fingers they get merged in a few days.
Why was EX frozen for you? Is there a way to access my EX report and score for free? Do you currently have any cards with BoA?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Why was EX frozen for you? Is there a way to access my EX report and score for free? Do you currently have any cards with BoA?
Because I froze it. Chase, Amex, and Citi all check EQ and EX for me and everyone else checks EX so I've got a lot of pulls there. Freezing EX still allows approvals for the double pullers. Experian.com will show you EX info for free and Credit Karma for EQ/TU for free. I have my oldest card at BOA of 18 years. Preferred Gold at BOA. Not sure if that helped but surely couldn't hurt.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:23 am

Hi I'm new here. I already have Global Entry, but my sister doesn't. We live across the country from each other. In order to get reimbursed, do I give her my credit card number over the phone, and she uses it when she applies?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by coconut water
Hi I'm new here. I already have Global Entry, but my sister doesn't. We live across the country from each other. In order to get reimbursed, do I give her my credit card number over the phone, and she uses it when she applies?
Depending on how much you trust your sister, I think you would be better off asking for an additional card for your own Premium Rewards card but with her name on it and to be mailed to her address. It will have the same number as yours and when you see a purchase on your statement it will not say if you made it or your sister did.

I have done this for both of my (adult) children. It does not cost anything but I have told them that anytime they use it to let me know in what shop and how much they paid.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because I froze it. Chase, Amex, and Citi all check EQ and EX for me and everyone else checks EX so I've got a lot of pulls there. Freezing EX still allows approvals for the double pullers. Experian.com will show you EX info for free and Credit Karma for EQ/TU for free. I have my oldest card at BOA of 18 years. Preferred Gold at BOA. Not sure if that helped but surely couldn't hurt.
Is there a reason that you chose to froze your EX?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:09 pm

Is there a reason that you chose to froze your EX?
I already answered you. Did you read my reply that you quoted?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Depending on how much you trust your sister, I think you would be better off asking for an additional card for your own Premium Rewards card but with her name on it and to be mailed to her address. It will have the same number as yours and when you see a purchase on your statement it will not say if you made it or your sister did.

I have done this for both of my (adult) children. It does not cost anything but I have told them that anytime they use it to let me know in what shop and how much they paid.
I am not sure why it would be better? Unless his sister needs a credit card for other uses, I would think it is better for him to just use his credit card to pay for her Global Entry Fee. Credit card doesn't know/care who is getting the Global Entry, and Global Entry doesn't care who paid the Fee.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Need
I am not sure why it would be better? Unless his sister needs a credit card for other uses, I would think it is better for him to just use his credit card to pay for her Global Entry Fee. Credit card doesn't know/care who is getting the Global Entry, and Global Entry doesn't care who paid the Fee.
Even though it will be billed to his account, and BoA will never know who made the charge, if it has his name on the credit card GE might refuse it if he is not present to authorize it.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Even though it will be billed to his account, and BoA will never know who made the charge, if it has his name on the credit card GE might refuse it if he is not present to authorize it.
Global Entry fee is paid online on their website. It's not paid in person.

EDIT:
Ah I see that you are outside of US. Maybe outside of US you have to go to an office to apply and pay the fee in person?

Last edited by Need; Jun 20, 2018 at 9:52 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:34 am

Reports lately of people not receiving their $100 statement credits for travel fees or TSA/GE registration. Anyone recently get their statement credit posting correctly?

Unrelated, but has anyone been able to fund a new bank account with BOA premium card? I have my cash line lowered to $200 which is the lowest they'd allow.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I already answered you. Did you read my reply that you quoted?
Sorry, I didn't get the part about the double pull.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Need
Yeah I'm not sure why that would be better either? She has her own credit cards, just not this one... If I sign her up under mine she'd have to wait 1-2 weeks for it to arrive. I can just call her up and give her my number right now. I will do that, thanks for answering my question.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I tried to apply for this card over the phone because I'm currently outside of the US. I did exactly what @Dovster tried to do, but I was not successful like him. I did not get instant approval. My application will now be reviewed by a credit analyst. I was also unsuccessful in getting my card mailed outside of the US and I was told it'll have to be mailed to my US address. It's not the end of the world, but I don't know what Dovster did to get his card mailed to Israel. What also bothered me was that the rep did not had access to my BoA information. Apparently it doesn't matter that I have a card with them and my history and all. So I guess my question is what if my application gets rejected, who should I talk to? Is there a reconsideration line? Is there another phone number that I can call to get them to mail my card to an address outside of the US?

I was thinking of maybe even doing a product conversion, but I was told that if I convert my old BankAmericard over to the Premium Rewards card, then I don't get the welcome bonus. Is this true?

What should I do next guys?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:51 pm

So I tried to apply for this card over the phone because I'm currently outside of the US. I did exactly what @Dovster tried to do, but I was not successful like him. I did not get instant approval. My application will now be reviewed by a credit analyst. I was also unsuccessful in getting my card mailed outside of the US and I was told it'll have to be mailed to my US address. It's not the end of the world, but I don't know what Dovster did to get his card mailed to Israel. What also bothered me was that the rep did not had access to my BoA information. Apparently it doesn't matter that I have a card with them and my history and all. So I guess my question is what if my application gets rejected, who should I talk to? Is there a reconsideration line? Is there another phone number that I can call to get them to mail my card to an address outside of the US?

I was thinking of maybe even doing a product conversion, but I was told that if I convert my old BankAmericard over to the Premium Rewards card, then I don't get the welcome bonus. Is this true?

What should I do next guys?
You should do nothing right now. First wait until you get a reply from the credit analyst. When I applied I was told that the telephone rep could not approve any card on her own authority. She had to enter my request and then see if it gets immediate approval or if it would be sent to a credit analyst. If it did have to go to a credit analyst, she said, it would take about 5 days and that the analyst might want to speak to me on the phone.

I was calling from my home phone in Israel (which is on record with BoA) and told her that it (or my Israeli cellphone) are the only numbers the analyst could use as the other phone being shown is my sister's in the US. She told me that the analyst would not be allowed to make an international phone call. As it turned out, it did not matter because it was immediately approved and never sent to the analyst. I think a lot had to do with the facts that I have had BoA credit cards since 2003, was living in Israel at the time, never missed a payment, paid my complete balance each month, and have a FICO score of 820 (it will never be much higher because I do not have, and never did have, any other kind of debt).

At first, she also told me that as it is a new card it would have to be mailed to a US address. I told her that it was my sister's address, she is 77 years old, and I am not about to make her go to the Post Office to re-send the card to me. I said that if it is not mailed to me directly in Israel then I do not want it. She spoke to a supervisor and got approval for it to be mailed to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.