FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Print Wikipost

BofA Premium Rewards card

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Sorry if this have been answered already. I already have a basic BoA Visa card for over 12 years. Just wondering what is the income and credit score requirement to upgrade to the BoA Premium Rewards Card?
Old May 23, 2018, 2:46 pm

Thinking about getting the premium rewards and a IHG card but not which I should apply for first to increase the odds of success.

boa apps in past 24 months:
11 months ago M+ – still open but ready to close it
13 month ago Alaska – closed

fico 809 & Equifax HP:
4 in 6 months (4/6)
4/12 (after June 8)
8/24 (after June 1)

Any thoughts appreciated!!!
Old May 30, 2018, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by flew-d-coop
Thinking about getting the premium rewards and a IHG card but not which I should apply for first to increase the odds of success.

boa apps in past 24 months:
11 months ago M+ – still open but ready to close it
13 month ago Alaska – closed

fico 809 & Equifax HP:
4 in 6 months (4/6)
4/12 (after June 8)
8/24 (after June 1)

Any thoughts appreciated!!!
Based on DPs on DoC you don't have good chances of getting BoA premium rewards card with a 4/6.
Your best chance was before June 1st
Old May 31, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by ShakuniMama
Based on DPs on DoC you don't have good chances of getting BoA premium rewards card with a 4/6.
I'm 1/6, 4/7, and 6/12 and my last BOA approval was Sept 2016. My oldest card (18 years and also my only open BOA card currently) is with BOA and I'm Gold Preferred. 820 FICO. What are my odds for getting an approval for this Premium card?
Old May 31, 2018, 1:44 pm

I messed up my DP - they should have been:
currently 4/6 (3/6 after June 8)
currently 5/12 (4/12 after Nov 5)
currently 8/24 (7/24 after July 25)

Do you think it will work after June 8 when i am 3/6 or still too high for 12 & 24 month?
Old May 31, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by flew-d-coop
I messed up my DP - they should have been:
currently 4/6 (3/6 after June 8)
currently 5/12 (4/12 after Nov 5)
currently 8/24 (7/24 after July 25)

Do you think it will work after June 8 when i am 3/6 or still too high for 12 & 24 month?
They used to look at your 6 months history but according to recent DPs they are now looking at 12 -24 months history depending on which credit ninja you get.
Looks like they are still smarting from Merrill+ rampant churning.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
I'm 1/6, 4/7, and 6/12 and my last BOA approval was Sept 2016. My oldest card (18 years and also my only open BOA card currently) is with BOA and I'm Gold Preferred. 820 FICO. What are my odds for getting an approval for this Premium card?
You have a better chance but that 4/7 might come back to bite you in the butt if credit ninja decide to look beyond 6 months.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:04 am

You have a better chance but that 4/7 might come back to bite you in the butt if credit ninja decide to look beyond 6 months.
Yeah I was afraid of that. I also have EX frozen, so I'll likely get an instant decline. I've read elsewhere that you can call recon and have them pull TU. Hopefully my 18 year old BOA card and Gold Preferred status helps. I closed my checking account in Feb and will churn a new bank bonus in August. My anniversary is Nov so I've got plenty of time to get that account opened.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:06 pm

Yeah I was afraid of that. I also have EX frozen, so I'll likely get an instant decline. I've read elsewhere that you can call recon and have them pull TU. Hopefully my 18 year old BOA card and Gold Preferred status helps. I closed my checking account in Feb and will churn a new bank bonus in August. My anniversary is Nov so I've got plenty of time to get that account opened.
I applied today with 1/6 4/12 & 9/24 and the application went pending.
In contrast someone posted on DoC that they were approved instantly with 16/24
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...comment-593634
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:49 am

Thanks for the DP.

Is it possible to get approved with EX frozen? I've only seen 1 report where they were able to call recon to pull TU but that was over a year ago.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:35 pm

Thanks for the DP.

Is it possible to get approved with EX frozen? I've only seen 1 report where they were able to call recon to pull TU but that was over a year ago.
Unlikely based on recent data points but doesn't hurt to try.
You can always unfreeze EX while on the phone with the credit analyst if they insist on EX.
Unlike Chase credit ninjas BoA credit analysts are quite nice IMHO
BTW I got approved email this morning.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:24 am

Unlikely based on recent data points but doesn't hurt to try.
You can always unfreeze EX while on the phone with the credit analyst if they insist on EX.
Unlike Chase credit ninjas BoA credit analysts are quite nice IMHO
BTW I got approved email this morning.
Good point. And congrats on the approval!
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I have the Travel Rewards Card but signed up for the Premium Rewards Card today. It always bugged me that the Travel Rewards Card points could not be redeemed at full value except for travel purchases. The Premium Rewards points can. This was not a major problem in the past but I have not traveled in the last two years. Moreover, the Premium Rewards Card gives two points for each dollar spent at a restaurant anywhere in the world and I generally eat out 3 to 4 times per week.

I also got cards (linked to my account) for my two adult children, meaning that I am 100% certain that I will reach the $3000 spend in the first three months and get the $500 bonus. After that, they will probably only use it when flying out of the country. The one thing that was a PITA was getting BoA to mail the cards directly to me in Israel. It is no secret to them that my US mailing address, which they require, belongs to my sister and that I live in Israel. They send all my mail to my Israeli address (including renewal cards) but insisted that the first time I got a particular card it had to go to the US address. I told them that my sister is 77 and I am not about to have her run to the Post Office to send the cards to me -- and that if they can't mail them to Israel I don't want the Premium Rewards.

I had to speak to four different people (including two supervisors from different departments) to get approval for this, but in the end I got it. (The actual approval of the card itself was instantaneous.)
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
I have the Travel Rewards Card but signed up for the Premium Rewards Card today. It always bugged me that the Travel Rewards Card points could not be redeemed at full value except for travel purchases. The Premium Rewards points can. This was not a major problem in the past but I have not traveled in the last two years. Moreover, the Premium Rewards Card gives two points for each dollar spent at a restaurant anywhere in the world and I generally eat out 3 to 4 times per week.

I also got cards (linked to my account) for my two adult children, meaning that I am 100% certain that I will reach the $3000 spend in the first three months and get the $500 bonus. After that, they will probably only use it when flying out of the country. The one thing that was a PITA was getting BoA to mail the cards directly to me in Israel. It is no secret to them that my US mailing address, which they require, belongs to my sister and that I live in Israel. They send all my mail to my Israeli address (including renewal cards) but insisted that the first time I got a particular card it had to go to the US address. I told them that my sister is 77 and I am not about to have her run to the Post Office to send the cards to me -- and that if they can't mail them to Israel I don't want the Premium Rewards.

I had to speak to four different people (including two supervisors from different departments) to get approval for this, but in the end I got it. (The actual approval of the card itself was instantaneous.)
What's your x/6, x/12, and x/24? Glad you were able to get it.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
What's your x/6, x/12, and x/24?
I have absolutely no idea of what that means.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.