Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Print Wikipost

BofA Premium Rewards card

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by MisterBill
The Premium Rewards card being discussed in this thread credits the bonus as soon as the charge posts, as does the older Travel Rewards card.

The Cash Rewards card (3% gas, 2% grocery, 1% everything else) credits the bonus when you cash out your reward.
Darn. Thanks for the clarity.

I think the agent from BofA may have been wrong regarding when I will get the status. I just received an email from the Merrill agent who helped me set up my Merrill account. She told me that I should get status by July 1. Perhaps the BofA agent was thinking of the date for getting the $600 bonus for moving money to Merrill and not the preferred status that gives you higher cash back. Anyone know for sure?
Old May 19, 2018, 11:10 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I recently bumped up my BofA balances to qualify for Platinum Honors. I spoke with them on the phone and they were very good about explaining it to me and also telling me when they project that I would qualify. The average they use recalculates on the 4th business day of the new month. I watched it two months and it was spot on.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by abk
I recently bumped up my BofA balances to qualify for Platinum Honors. I spoke with them on the phone and they were very good about explaining it to me and also telling me when they project that I would qualify. The average they use recalculates on the 4th business day of the new month. I watched it two months and it was spot on.
Did you have to wait 90 days?
Old May 19, 2018, 5:49 pm

Good to know. Do you know if there is a place where you can see your current average?
Old May 19, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by sdflyer04

Darn. Thanks for the clarity.

I think the agent from BofA may have been wrong regarding when I will get the status. I just received an email from the Merrill agent who helped me set up my Merrill account. She told me that I should get status by July 1. Perhaps the BofA agent was thinking of the date for getting the $600 bonus for moving money to Merrill and not the preferred status that gives you higher cash back. Anyone know for sure?
What are you looking for? Someone to tell you that the agent was right and I was wrong about when the bonus is credited for the Premium Reward card? Good luck finding that. Maybe you should call BofA back and get a different person and ask again.

And why would you even think that the BofA rep would know anything about the Merrill Edge bonus?
Old May 19, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by abk
Presumably you had a BofA/ME account prior to that since you said you "bumped up" the balances. The info about the 4th of the month seems to be accurate. I think that you need to be a BofA customer for three months (or maybe 3 cycles) before you can get to be a Premium Rewards member.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by mar12
Good to know. Do you know if there is a place where you can see your current average?
When you sign in, there should be a box toward the upper right side telling you your current preferred status. Next to it should be a link "My Summary". That link will show you your current average.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by MisterBill
What are you looking for? Someone to tell you that the agent was right and I was wrong about when the bonus is credited for the Premium Reward card? Good luck finding that. Maybe you should call BofA back and get a different person and ask again.

And why would you even think that the BofA rep would know anything about the Merrill Edge bonus?
Sorry, did not mean to offend. I don’t care about the timing of the bonus, just that I eventually get it. My question is when will I have the top status so that I can get the top cash back on the credit card (2.62%). I’ve now been told two different things by BofA and Merrill about when that will happen. So, I’m looking for actual experience. It matters to me because I don’t want to get the credit card too much before I am in the top cash back bracket.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:02 am

The premium rewards card earns the extra points at the time of purchase, meaning you must have the tier you want at the time you make the purchase to get the bonus points.

There is another card BoA offers that is a 3-2-1 cashback card which gets a bonus applied to point redemption. For that card, it doesn't matter if you have the PR status when you make the purchase, because the bonus is applied is when you redeem.

For the card that is the subject of this thread, you will only earn the base points and no bonus until you are recognized with the PR tier you want.

Here is an image of the BoA site for the PR card:

and here is the same image for the cash back card:

You will see that there is no PR bonus mentioned on the cash rewards card - that is because I will instead get a bonus applied when I cash the rewards out for that card.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:45 am

Sorry, did not mean to offend. I don’t care about the timing of the bonus, just that I eventually get it. My question is when will I have the top status so that I can get the top cash back on the credit card (2.62%). I’ve now been told two different things by BofA and Merrill about when that will happen. So, I’m looking for actual experience. It matters to me because I don’t want to get the credit card too much before I am in the top cash back bracket.
I believe that if you just opened your checking account, then you will have to wait the full 3 months. If you had one previously and just upped the balance (or opened a new ME account), overfunding by 3x will cut the wait time to 1/3.

GlobalEntry takes 1 week to process pre-interview, and 1 week post-interview, but the wait for the interview itself can be months depending on your location. SFO wait time is up to 6 months. However, the trick is to schedule and then log in every night to reschedule and hope someone cancelled. I did this for a week and eventually got a date much closer.

Are you losing anything by waiting to get your card? I.e. if you only have a 1% card to use in the meantime, then getting 1.5-2% is still better.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:02 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.

Did you have to wait 90 days?
I had a pre existing BofA account and it only took the balance of the month I moved money in and the following month to qualify. Essentially 40 days. I have no relationship with Merrill.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by libralibra
I believe that if you just opened your checking account, then you will have to wait the full 3 months. If you had one previously and just upped the balance (or opened a new ME account), overfunding by 3x will cut the wait time to 1/3.

GlobalEntry takes 1 week to process pre-interview, and 1 week post-interview, but the wait for the interview itself can be months depending on your location. SFO wait time is up to 6 months. However, the trick is to schedule and then log in every night to reschedule and hope someone cancelled. I did this for a week and eventually got a date much closer.

Are you losing anything by waiting to get your card? I.e. if you only have a 1% card to use in the meantime, then getting 1.5-2% is still better.
Thanks for the insights. It isn’t a big deal to wait. I have a few trips where it would be nice to have TSA PreCheck. But, no big deal. I would rather wait to spend the $3K for the bonus until I have the top cash back. So, I’m trying to time the 90 days versus the TSA PreCheck. I will keep an eye on my account and jump in once I see the top cash back available.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:51 am

Anybody worried BOA will issue 1099-INT forms come tax time? I thought things like this were always considered rebates.

"The value of this reward may constitute taxable income to you. You may be issued an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099 (or other appropriate form) that reflects the value of such reward."
Old May 22, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Anybody worried BOA will issue 1099-INT forms come tax time? I thought things like this were always considered rebates.

"The value of this reward may constitute taxable income to you. You may be issued an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099 (or other appropriate form) that reflects the value of such reward."
They do not, and I have gotten well over $600 in a year worth of cashback, points back, and signup bonuses.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
They do not, and I have gotten well over $600 in a year worth of cashback, points back, and signup bonuses.
Ok great, thanks for confirming!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.