Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Print Wikipost

BofA Premium Rewards card

Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Better return on BofA no AF cards

I got a 50k points offer in online banking for this card last week, but having already 3 no AF cards from BofA, this card is not worth applying. I am platinum honors rewards and only carry 2 of 3 cards on me

1. Cash rewards Visa: 5.25% for dining and 3% occasional groceries paid at register with card.
2. Travel rewards: 2.625% anything non bonus and overseas spending.
3. Cash rewards MasterCard (kept in drawer) 5.25% for online shopping and groceries using Publix or Walmart app.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by r.brown
Mine posted 10 days automatically after my statement

8/4 - Restaurant Purchase
8/17 - Statement Close
8/27 - $50 credit posted
I think BoA does the $50 credits in batches and many were credited on 8/27. Mine:

8/12 - Grocery purchase
8/14 - Charge posted
8/24 - Statement close
8/27 - $50 credited
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:34 am

Mine finally posted as well.

7/27: Restaurant purchase
8/22: Statement closed
8/27: $50 credit posted as GROC & DINING STMT CRDT
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ovacikar
I got a 50k points offer in online banking for this card last week, but having already 3 no AF cards from BofA, this card is not worth applying.
'Worth applying' has more to consider. It appears you are using an overall strategy of cash back. WIth the current offer, you are essentially getting a $405 bonus (500 less annual fee) after using the card to meet the minimum spend that would even earn at the same rate for everyday spend that you are getting already so you aren't even losing anything. It is not uncommon in these parts to find people that sign up for credit cards mainly for the bonus with the full intention of cancelling before they would pay an annual fee the next year. Seems like not much work for a free $405 (assuming you are responsible with the rest of your credit, etc.).

Last edited by G2244; Aug 28, 2020 at 7:24 am
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by G2244
'Worth applying' has more to consider. It appears you are using an overall strategy of cash back. WIth the current offer, you are essentially getting a $500 bonus after using the card to meet the minimum spend that would even earn at the same rate for everyday spend that you are getting already so you aren't even losing anything. It is not uncommon in these parts to find people that sign up for credit cards mainly for the bonus with the full intention of cancelling before they would pay an annual fee the next year. Seems like not much work for a free $500 (assuming you are responsible with the rest of your credit, etc.).
It's obviously a personal decision, but assuming you value the airline credit (you can still buy a $100 AA gift card if you're not actively travelling), BoA is effectively paying you $5 to have the card. There's also the $100 global entry fee credit, which again may or may not be important to you right now. At that point it's arguably a better replacement for the standard travel rewards card, earning 3.5% on all travel and dining (without the $2500 quarterly limit) plus the base 2.625% on non-category spend.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:20 am

Anyone else uses this card for Costco shopping? If I use the Costco credit card, I get 2%. If I use this card, I get 2.625%. It doesn't sound like a lot but considered that I spent about $250 each trip to Costco and 2x a month, the extra .625% could almost cover 50% of the $95 annual fee.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Need
Anyone else uses this card for Costco shopping? If I use the Costco credit card, I get 2%. If I use this card, I get 2.625%. It doesn't sound like a lot but considered that I spent about $250 each trip to Costco and 2x a month, the extra .625% could almost cover 50% of the $95 annual fee.
I prefer to use the USB Altitude Reserve mobile payment which effectively gets me 4.5% return on all Costco purchases.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by crapz1
I prefer to use the USB Altitude Reserve mobile payment which effectively gets me 4.5% return on all Costco purchases.
I need to look into that. I thought I did and you have to be an US bank customer or something like that to apply which I am not. 4.5% is amazing though as now I pretty much always use my phone to pay everywhere.

EDIT: Oh I just realized that it is only 4.5% if you redeem for travel, not 4.5% cash back. I think I am good on the travel front...rather have cash back and 3% is not much more than 2.625.

Last edited by Need; Aug 28, 2020 at 9:55 am
Old Aug 28, 2020, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
The big advantage of Premium Rewards Card over Travel Rewards is that you do not have to travel to cash in. I realize that this is a travel bulletin board and this won't matter for most posters but when you get to a certain age, and/or you have physical conditions which stop you from traveling, the Travel Rewards Card becomes worthless to you.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 10:55 am

The popular method is to instead get a bofa cash card and set the 3% category to online. Then order costco GCs online from costco.com (delivered in the mail). You will get 5.25% back that way.

notes:
- this is limited to $2500 per quarter
- still use an actual CC for important purchases, like electronics
- if you forget/run out of the costco GC, using the bofa cash card in person at costco still gets 3.5% cash back
- assumes your are platinum honors getting the 75% boost
Need and UVU Wolverine like this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:03 am
Original Poster

I need to look into that. I thought I did and you have to be an US bank customer or something like that to apply which I am not. 4.5% is amazing though as now I pretty much always use my phone to pay everywhere.

EDIT: Oh I just realized that it is only 4.5% if you redeem for travel, not 4.5% cash back. I think I am good on the travel front...rather have cash back and 3% is not much more than 2.625.
I have both cards. I use USB Reserve at Costco. I just USB Reserve for Apple pay and everything else I'll use BofA Premium card. Since there's no Travel for me this year, I cash out USB Reserve points with Uber cash since us Bank considers it travel and then I use Uber eats. It's been working good so far. My USB Reserve renewal is next Jan. I'll see what are my options at that time. Otherwise BofA Premium card is my main card so far.
dinkoh likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 2:04 pm

Essentially the same for me. I 'cash out' by buying refundable airfare, doing a real-time redemption to cover it, and then cancelling the flight for a refund.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crapz1
Essentially the same for me. I 'cash out' by buying refundable airfare, doing a real-time redemption to cover it, and then cancelling the flight for a refund.
I think this loophole will eventually go away after us Bank will refresh the card. It's due for an update. If the new refresh is bad, I'll start using my BofA premium card for Apple pay
Old Aug 30, 2020, 7:31 pm

Updated my last comment. Finally got the $50 credit.

All 3 are grocery purchases:
7/13 $42.20
7/14 $4.38
8/4 $8.98

8/27: Got the $50 credit on card
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Finally got my $50 dining credit on 8/27.

Charges:
7/21 $35.51
7/24 $46.88 (bakery, which is supposed to qualify but I have a feeling they didn't count it).
8/10 $13.79
8/14 $2.16
8/24 $3.26

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.