FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Print Wikipost

BofA Premium Rewards card

Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by MisterBill
You could do the same for the incidental credit. Or buy an AA gift card or something else that works reliably and give it to someone.
No, I have the full booklet about the card and it specifically states that airline gift cards are not eligible.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
No, I have the full booklet about the card and it specifically states that airline gift cards are not eligible.
Suggest that you look at this thread:

BofA Premium Rewards - What works for airline expense reimbursement?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:47 pm

From section 4 of the Premium Rewards Program Information: "Airline Incidental Statement Credit":

"Airline ticket purchases, mileage point purchases, mileage point transfer fees, gift cards, duty-free purchases, award tickets and fees incurred with airline alliance partners do not qualify."

(I put the emphasis in that quote.)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:51 pm

From section 4 of the Premium Rewards Program Information: "Airline Incidental Statement Credit":

"Airline ticket purchases, mileage point purchases, mileage point transfer fees, gift cards, duty-free purchases, award tickets and fees incurred with airline alliance partners do not qualify."

(I put the emphasis in that quote.)
From the thread I pointed you at: "I got credited $100 for AA gift card after 5 business days from making the purchase"

I don't care if you do it or not, nor do I care what the fine print says. I care what other people have reported has worked for them. Given that you have no obvious use for the AA gift card, it's probably best that you not take a chance on it it since you're clearly not comfortable doing so.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:11 pm

From the thread I pointed you at: "I got credited $100 for AA gift card after 5 business days from making the purchase"
I don't care if you do it or not, nor do I care what the fine print says. I care what other people have reported has worked for them. Given that you have no obvious use for the AA gift card, it's probably best that you not take a chance on it it since you're clearly not comfortable doing so.
I think the question is whether or not the airline uses the correct merchant code (just as I would get 2 points per dollar spent at a hardware store if it uses the merchant code for a restaurant). Logically, gift cards should not be given the credit because they can be used to pay part of the ticket -- and ticket charges are not reimbursed. However, if AA, or even just the AA employee handling the purchase of a GC uses a code showing it as an incidental, and not as a GC, the credit will be given. Basically, you are just taking a chance that an error may be made. This is no big deal if you are purchasing the GC for yourself as you will simply wind up paying the normal ticket price. However, if I am simply doing a favor for a friend (as I am with the GE credit), if the correct code is used I will be out the cost of the GC.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:21 pm

However, if AA, or even just the AA employee handling the purchase of a GC uses a code showing it as an incidental, and not as a GC, the credit will be given. Basically, you are just taking a chance that an error may be made. This is no big deal if you are purchasing the GC for yourself as you will simply wind up paying the normal ticket price. However, if I am simply doing a favor for a friend (as I am with the GE credit), if the correct code is used I will be out the cost of the GC.
I'm almost positive that people are buying them online so there's no chance for human error. I have yet to read a post from someone who it didn't work for, but you can certainly ask again to be sure (or for other options).

It worked for me on a seat upgrade and taxes when buying an award ticket on AA as well.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:53 am

Please do not call the issuer and say "I read the T&C of the card but would like to violate them, can you please tell me that I can do that and how?"

If you are able to buy gift cards (which you are,) it is a happy accident. Calling and asking only puts more eyes on their inability to detect the activity and may encourage them to crack down on it in the future.
Dovster, IDM79 and aimango like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I'm wondering if anyone has obtained multiple accounts. I have one and I'd like to get another. Easy $500 compared to redeeming AS miles.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I'm wondering if anyone has obtained multiple accounts. I have one and I'd like to get another. Easy $500 compared to redeeming AS miles.
Based on their terms and conditions you are only allowed to have one acct under your name
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:43 pm

Did anyone test out the Overdraft Protection with a linked Credit Card as a Preferred Rewards Member? I understand the fee is waived and i read reports that there is no cash advance fee for an Overdraft Protection Transfer. I understand that I will get no points, which is fine. I just want to see if it's better than linking a Savings Account (as it doesn't really get any interest there either). So I'd rather try to keep the checking balance as low as possible but would still like to have a cheap backup in case I forgot to consider a bill.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Does anyone here know what I can use the $100 AA giftcard for? Can I use it for flights?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Does anyone here know what I can use the $100 AA giftcard for? Can I use it for flights?
You can only use it for flights.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mtndew00
You can only use it for flights.
Is there a limit to the number of AA giftcards I can use to purchase a flight? I'm assuming they can only be used on AA's website?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:05 am

Is there a limit to the number of AA giftcards I can use to purchase a flight? I'm assuming they can only be used on AA's website?
Have you considered asking in the section of this board where people actually talk about AA? It's not like people don't discuss air travel on this site.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:32 pm

There is a limit of 7 AA gift cards per booking when using AA's website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.