Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Uber credit card (revamped October 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
See post 76 for a summary of changes announced October 2019.

Application: https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...8&cellNumber=2

FAQ: https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...ForwardUrl#q34
Print Wikipost

Barclays Uber credit card (revamped October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Agreed. 4% at restaurants/bars? Well that's fantastic, better than SPG Amex imo (which is my go to card). 3% airfare/hotel/AirBnB? That's also very very good. In fact, I'd have to think long and hard between SPG Amex and Uber Visa at 3%. I'd say SPG Amex is 2.7 cents per on avg - although I do get 3.3-3.5 at times.

Amazingly, only 2% on Uber itself. #epicfail
With no FTF or annual fees, this could easily become my backup card and primary for restaurants, airlines and boutique hotels. And if Marriott drops/changes the Starwood Amex, could be used even more.

https://www.uber.com/c/uber-credit-card/

I'm guessing the "get % back" means in the form of credits to be used at Uber? Or do they mean cash back/statement credit?
I have CSR for restaurants/travel. The rest is covered by either Amex BBP or USB AR + Samsung Pay and also 3x for travel, both of which are 4.5%. Uber card is surprisingly good for no AF/no FTF card. I may get one. Maybe.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
The Priceline and Wyndham cards have no FTF or AF either, apparently.
Especially good if it's Priceline 2x/5x card.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:35 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Is this card only for US residents, or will Canadians also be eligible to apply? Seems to show info for the card on the Canadian uber site.
US only. If Uber decides to launch a card product in Canada in the future, it would be through a Canadian issuing bank.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Here is some more detail on the card.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barcl...150101031.html
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:36 pm

I would like to know if direct deposits are able to be applied to this? I'm asking this not only b/c it's a cc and not a debit card, but b/c my S/O drives for UberEats. I would like to have my S/O signed up for this (it would negate the fees that are currently being paid on Uber's company card and the many problems that come with it such as missing funds).
At the same time, this would not only help w/ the credit score but the 4% dining would definitely be a plus, especially when it comes to cashback.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by drminn

This rewards plan looks unsustainable for a no annual fee card. Luckily, for those willing to try this, Barclay's is slow to act (i.e. Sallie Mae and Travelocity). However, once they do, it will get ugly. My Sallie Mae is practically unusable now post neutering and the poor customer service of Barclay's combined with how often they screwed up a Travelocity redemption will have me on the sidelines watching how it unfolds.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Oreto
This rewards plan looks unsustainable for a no annual fee card. Luckily, for those willing to try this, Barclay's is slow to act (i.e. Sallie Mae and Travelocity). However, once they do, it will get ugly. My Sallie Mae is practically unusable now post neutering and the poor customer service of Barclay's combined with how often they screwed up a Travelocity redemption will have me on the sidelines watching how it unfolds.
Barclays has been good to me, both in terms of customer service and credit. Started in 2014 with a US Airways card and now have two Wyndham cards, one of which I just got the APR lowered to 12% and change. I've run about $20k thru my 2x Wyndham card over the last year. Always PIF.

Might just app for the Uber card in March if I can talk myself out of app'ing for an Aviator card.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Oreto
The rewards are indeed insane - matches or beats the CSR which costs $450/yr - but are close to those offered by the $0 AF Costco Citi Anywhere card.

But considering that Uber is more interested in collecting data than it is on providing rides (the rides are just a way to collect data), it's my assumption that Uber is working with (read: subsidizing) Barclays on these perks.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by drminn

Additional benefits: If customers spend $500 in the first 90 days, they can receive a $100 bonus — a very accessible startup bonus compared with peer cards. The product also offers a $50 subscription credit for services like Netflix to customers who spend $5,000 annually, and phone insurance of up to $600 for those who use it to pay their mobile bills.

So if I put $5K of dining spend on the card, once you add the $50 Netflix credit, the rewards are actually 5% back. That's pretty tempting.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Application is live, link in Wikipost.

The 3% Travel category is really airfare, lodging and travel agencies, similar to Citi Prestige:

You earn 3% Back/3 Points ($0.03) for every $1.00 spent on Net Purchases on airfare, hotels and vacation rentals (including travel agencies and home share exchanges), as defined by merchant category codes ("Travel Purchases").

The 2% category includes not only Uber, but other "online" transactions, with large exclusions:

• You earn 2% Back/2 Points ($0.02) for every $1.00 spent on eligible online Net Purchases (as described below), which includes purchases that occur online or on a mobile device as identified based on transaction details provided by merchants ("Online Purchases"):

o Online Purchases that are also Restaurant Purchases will earn 4% Back/4 Points and Online Purchases that are also Travel Purchases will earn 3% Back/3 Points, as detailed above and will not also earn 2% Back/2 Points as Online Purchases.
o Online Purchases from the merchant category codes that include the following, are excluded from the 2% Back/2 Points category and will earn 1% Back/1 Point ($0.01) for every $1.00 spent on Net Purchases:

- Utilities (such as cable, satellite, telecommunications, gas, water, and electric),
- Contracted Services (such as landscaping, general contractors, plumbing, heating/air conditioning, roofing, siding, carpentry, electrical, masonry, and concrete, and certain special trade contractors),
- Government Services (such as court costs, alimony, child support, fines, bail and bond payments, and tax payments), or
- Professional Services (such as doctors, therapists, dentists, opticians, nursing care facilities, hospitals, attorneys, child care services, accounting, and architectural services).

o Online Purchases not from the above excluded merchant categories and Online Purchases as described below are included and will earn 2% Back/2 Points ($0.02) for every $1.00 spent on Net Purchases:

- Video and music streaming services (including Netflix, Pandora, HBO Now, and Apple Music),
- Certain online services (including Instacart, Shyp, Angie’s List, Handy, Thumbtack, FlyCleaners and TaskRabbit), and
- Digital purchases of mobile applications and media on platforms (including iTunes and Google Play).

o Any Online Purchases using third party payment methods including PayPal, Venmo, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Android Pay are excluded from the 2% Back/2 Points category and will earn 1% Back/1 Point ($0.01) for every $1.00 spent on Net Purchases.
In the event of any abusive, gaming or fraudulent activity related to the Account or violation of the Reward Rules, as determined by us in our sole discretion, we reserve the right to make corresponding adjustments to or invalidate Points accrued in the Program through use of the Account, to disqualify you from participating in the Program through use of the Account, and/or to close your Account at any time. Abusive or gaming activity includes, but is not limited to, obtaining or using an account to maximize rewards earned in a manner that is not consistent with typical consumer activity and/or multiple credit card account applications/opening, as determined by us in our sole discretion.

Last edited by mia; Nov 4, 2017 at 6:01 am
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by mia
Application is live, link in Wikipost.

In the event of any abusive, gaming or fraudulent activity related to the Account or violation of the Reward Rules, as determined by us in our sole discretion, we reserve the right to make corresponding adjustments to or invalidate Points accrued in the Program through use of the Account, to disqualify you from participating in the Program through use of the Account, and/or to close your Account at any time. Abusive or gaming activity includes, but is not limited to, obtaining or using an account to maximize rewards earned in a manner that is not consistent with typical consumer activity and/or multiple credit card account applications/opening, as determined by us in our sole discretion. :
Wow!! Good night, John-boy! They're not playing around. Of course, perhaps this language is in most credit card apps now and I just don't read the fine print anymore? Either way, it's understandable on the why but I'd hope that "typical consumer activity" has a broad definition that doesn't punish consumers for funneling their restaurant/travel spend there instead of a competitor's product where such spend might be at a lesser rate.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Shorter message: NO CHURNING (or manufactured spending)!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Way too much exclusion on the 2% category. It boils down to just regular purchases made online? Is this what it all means after listing out the extensive exclusions?

The Travel category also is not too good as it is only airfares and lodging. The travel agencies only apply to those who handle vacation home rentals?

Excluding ground transportation and cruises from Travel are NOT good.

The card is not what it is hyped up to be once drilling into the details of earning structure.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Shorter message: NO CHURNING (or manufactured spending)!
How could folks MS on this card when there the bonus categories are so narrowly defined?
The sign up bonus also is not worth the trouble to churn for most who churn, isn't it?

Personally I think the exclusion on 2% online transaction would catch many who dont read the fine print completely off guard, as many pay their bills online thinking they would earn 2x...
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:54 pm

Any DPs on cell phone insurance re: family plans? I wonder if all phones/lines would be covered? If not, how could they tell?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.