Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 10:07 am

Received 10000 retention points - just requested something, did not have to threaten to cancel.
wtg_miro likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by mmax1
Received 10000 retention points - just requested something, did not have to threaten to cancel.
What was your spend like?
Old May 11, 2019, 1:30 am

I just got this card and am trying to get the most use out of it. Specifically, I have never used any mobile wallet app before and want to start using it as much as possible. I have a non-Samsung android phone so I am guessing Google Pay is my only choice. Is there any advice for how I can go about using Google Pay for as many things as possible? Can it be used to buy gas at the pump? Pay income taxes and other bills? I don’t purchase much in person so advice on how to get the most out of this when buying things online would be helpful.
If this isn’t the right place to ask this question or you know where I can find information on how to get the most use out of Google Pay let me know. Thank you for the help.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Kettle Class
I've only been able to use Google Pay for in-person payments, i.e. where I can physically tap my phone on to a credit card terminal. Google Pay can supposedly be linked to PayPal and Visa Checkout for online payments (including tax payments), but in my experience USBank has not recognized these as mobile wallet payments.

Domestically, I use Google Pay for all my grocery spend (just tap and pay), at quick serve dining establishments, some retail stores, and at ticket and snack vending machines. Abroad, in Europe and Australia in particular, I have been able to use my phone to pay at hotels, gas stations, and even department stores.

Originally Posted by erethizon
I just got this card and am trying to get the most use out of it. Specifically, I have never used any mobile wallet app before and want to start using it as much as possible. I have a non-Samsung android phone so I am guessing Google Pay is my only choice. Is there any advice for how I can go about using Google Pay for as many things as possible? Can it be used to buy gas at the pump? Pay income taxes and other bills? I don’t purchase much in person so advice on how to get the most out of this when buying things online would be helpful.
If this isn’t the right place to ask this question or you know where I can find information on how to get the most use out of Google Pay let me know. Thank you for the help.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
You can get Samsung Gear S3 watch and you will be able to use SP everywhere. I've seen those sold on Amazon for $110 recently. But the best is to use Samsung phone, cause the phone version of SP has much more functionality than a watch version, i.e. gift card store and cash back portal. Also watch version of SP is kinda buggy.
​​
Old May 11, 2019, 1:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by yugi
You can get Samsung Gear S3 watch and you will be able to use SP everywhere.
​​
Correct me if I am wrong, but you mean everywhere where one pays in person, it doesn't change online payments.

.... I don’t purchase much in person ....
Old May 11, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
Correct me if I am wrong, but you mean everywhere where one pays in person, it doesn't change online payments.
Yes, for in person only, with some exceptions, like when you shop via app and it supports Google pay, or buying gift cards from Samsung pay. Some sites also support apple pay on iPhone and iPad. I also heard that MacBooks with touchID also support using apple pay in safari. Never tried latter though.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Yes, for in person only, with some exceptions, like when you shop via app and it supports Google pay, or buying gift cards from Samsung pay. Some sites also support apple pay on iPhone and iPad. I also heard that MacBooks with touchID also support using apple pay in safari. Never tried latter though.
Apple Pay in Safari works on almost any modern Mac, as long as you have an iPhone or Apple Watch. It just uses the phone or watch to validate the payment then.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:44 pm

You can get Samsung Gear S3 watch and you will be able to use SP everywhere....Also watch version of SP is kinda buggy.
​​
I used to have this setup and ended up selling the SGS3. It would just randomly reset SP and I would have to add the card all over again. Of course this would always happen when I was trying to pay for something so I gave up (I will admit that I wasn't a fan of having to charge the watch that I use every night so there's that as well ). Another thing to note is that in my experience US Bank is a bit more clunky when it comes to mobile payments in that if your phone or watch resets it sort of takes a little bit of time to clear out of the system before it allows you to add the card again. In the beginning it would even require a phone call to add the card to any mobile payment system which made the situation I describe with the watch even more annoying. Now a phone call is not required, but I find that in cases where I've gotten a new phone or had to do a factory reset, I have to wait several hours before I can add the card again (with agents on the phone not seeing any problems).

Now that more of the big retailers (Target, CVS) are accepting mobile payments I find that the utility of the watch overall is not that great. In terms of small businesses, they now either have a terminal that allows you to use your phone or they cling on to that small machine like it's made out of gold making it awkward to try and use your watch in that situation.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by halamadrid
I used to have this setup and ended up selling the SGS3. It would just randomly reset SP and I would have to add the card all over again. Of course this would always happen when I was trying to pay for something so I gave up (I will admit that I wasn't a fan of having to charge the watch that I use every night so there's that as well ). Another thing to note is that in my experience US Bank is a bit more clunky when it comes to mobile payments in that if your phone or watch resets it sort of takes a little bit of time to clear out of the system before it allows you to add the card again. In the beginning it would even require a phone call to add the card to any mobile payment system which made the situation I describe with the watch even more annoying. Now a phone call is not required, but I find that in cases where I've gotten a new phone or had to do a factory reset, I have to wait several hours before I can add the card again (with agents on the phone not seeing any problems).

Now that more of the big retailers (Target, CVS) are accepting mobile payments I find that the utility of the watch overall is not that great. In terms of small businesses, they now either have a terminal that allows you to use your phone or they cling on to that small machine like it's made out of gold making it awkward to try and use your watch in that situation.
FWIW, my Gear S3 hasn't reset Samsung Pay in quite a while. Whatever issue I was having before got fixed with some SW update (though Samsung never admitted there was a problem).

That said, I find that Google Pay is far less hassle to use. At best, I need fewer to zero button presses to actually enable payment compared to the watch. At worst, it'll actually work where the S3 won't (especially at smaller terminals with NFC enabled). And for me, pretty much the only day to day places that don't support NFC now are restaurants and most gas pumps, where any form of mobile payment is going to be an awkward hassle at best. In any event, I think it's still good as a backup, but it's definitely not something I use day to day.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:30 pm

So how much are you guys actually using this? Is there really value in it if using better the amex gold for dining/grocery and the citi premier for 3x gas? Or just doing it for the signing bonus, Costco and a few other things then cancelling after a year
Old May 12, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
With Real-Time Rewards, this card has become a keeper for me for its net fee of 75$. I earn the equivalent of 4.5c (travel) rebate per dollar of mobile wallet spend and can easily redeem on charges from Uber, Lyft, British Airways, Delta, etc. I also travel a lot internationally where Google Pay acceptance is widespread, and earning bonus points there on dining, groceries etc. beats the Amex PRG value proposition for me because IIRC Amex doesn't award bonuses on non-USD category spend.

I have also gotten some marginal benefit out of the Visa Infinite benefits on hotels.

Originally Posted by geoff325
So how much are you guys actually using this? Is there really value in it if using better the amex gold for dining/grocery and the citi premier for 3x gas? Or just doing it for the signing bonus, Costco and a few other things then cancelling after a year
Old May 13, 2019, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by geoff325
I find that the card really pays for itself with the effective $75 AF. I use it for all car rentals b/c of the primary insurance, any random place that takes GP but I'm not sure how it's going to code, Target, and drugstores when they are not a rotating category. I also tend to use the Gogo inflight internet passes that you get for free as I can share my Gogo account with family members and they use them. The Visa Infinite benefits, including the discount on Silvercar has also come in handy. Keeper for me ... until further notice
Old May 15, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
I would read the benefit handbook, which is likely available online, or give them a call if you have specific questions.
I couldn't find this online, might anyone have a URL for it? TIA.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid

The issue with reset was long resolved. There is an issue with Amex card, when sometimes it says "stay connected to the phone". In this case, just delete the card, and readd it back, which is easy with Amex cards. I was able to add US bank cards with SMS, but I recently received a new card from USB (Radisson rewards), and was not able to use SMS, have to call the bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.