Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
You could book a cancellable airfare for the amount you want.

If you were doing this a lot it could end up getting eyeballs on your account.

But you likely would get away with it if it was occasional/rare/once.
Ah, makes sense. My card renews in a few months and I’m not positive I’m renewing it. 3x mobile is nice but between my other cards, I have most my major spend categories covered.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by DaveInLA

Ah, makes sense. My card renews in a few months and I’m not positive I’m renewing it. 3x mobile is nice but between my other cards, I have most my major spend categories covered.
Personally I find it is increasingly the exception that a place won't take contactless now.

Maybe full service restaurants and stuff like that. However many places which claim Apple Pay or GPay, don't seem to actually have them operational.

And I'm not even doing the Samsung Gear S3 MST thing, which can supposedly work wherever swiping can work.

I figure I'd have to spend 10k to make up the cost of buying one of those ($200 device / 2% advantage over other payment methods), given that I wouldn't normally use that over my regular old school watches.

Can't see this benefit lasting as the technology gets more widely adopted.

USB is going to have to cap it or reduce the rate.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Personally I find it is increasingly the exception that a place won't take contactless now.

Maybe full service restaurants and stuff like that. However many places which claim Apple Pay or GPay, don't seem to actually have them operational.

And I'm not even doing the Samsung Gear S3 MST thing, which can supposedly work wherever swiping can work.

I figure I'd have to spend 10k to make up the cost of buying one of those ($200 device / 2% advantage over other payment methods), given that I wouldn't normally use that over my regular old school watches.

Can't see this benefit lasting as the technology gets more widely adopted.

USB is going to have to cap it or reduce the rate.
Eh, I can see them holding onto it for a while to come. I mean, many of the US payment industry blogs/experts are now saying that mobile wallets will never come anywhere close to replacing people's cards (and the stats seem to confirm this too, as use in the US is still extremely low over four years after Apple Pay's announcement). Besides, I'm not sure Chase and others would have bothered with contactless cards again had there been more demand by customers for Apple Pay, etc.

And that's not even talking about the numerous smaller businesses/restaurants that simply will not let customers touch their terminals (and with stuff like this video I'm not sure they're being completely unreasonable). At least at those, contactless cards have a chance at being used wirelessly instead of just being inserted, even if it's the employee doing it.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA

I'm sort of in the same boat in thinking that I'm not renewing the card. In places where I'd normally use mobile (supermarkets, drugstores) I get better returns with other cards. For places that are not under any category I find that I prefer getting 2X MR with my BBP than this card. I guess it's all about the pooling effect with flexible earning currencies (MR, UR, TYP) that sort of makes this the odd card out. I like the card, but can't find a way to justify even the net AF.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by halamadrid
I like the card, but can't find a way to justify even the net AF.
If you shop at Costco a lot, this is probably the only card that generates a higher return than even the Citi Costco card. At a 4.5% return, you only need to spend $1,667 (at Costco) to recoup the $75 net annual fee.

Even if you already have the Costco card which gives a 2% rebate, you break even at $3,000 at the warehouse.
soartoday and akr1970akr like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
If you shop at Costco a lot, this is probably the only card that generates a higher return than even the Citi Costco card. At a 4.5% return, you only need to spend $1,667 (at Costco) to recoup the $75 net annual fee.

Even if you already have the Costco card which gives a 2% rebate, you break even at $3,000 at the warehouse.
I guess that's part of why I'm leaning towards giving it up as I never shop at Costco. Nothing against Costco, but for a variety of reasons it's never been beneficial for my situation to shop at Costco (even online). Thanks.

Things change I guess and I'm keeping the card. Retention offer made it a no brainer. Time to dust it off as I now I have an incentive to use it more.

Last edited by halamadrid; Feb 22, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by halamadrid

Things change I guess and I'm keeping the card. Retention offer made it a no brainer. Time to dust it off as I now I have an incentive to use it more.
US Bank offered a retention bonus? Now that's a first! What was the offer?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
US Bank offered a retention bonus? Now that's a first! What was the offer?
i was given 10K points to keep my card.
22K in spend last year.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

Same here
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

22K in spend last year.
Was most of that mobile wallet?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by NeGourmand

Was most of that mobile wallet?
about 2/4 of it was mobile wallet and roughly a 1/4 was travel spend. I earned 3X points on 3/4 roughly
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:22 am

Might be a long shot. Anyone have any DPs on if Interval International counts as travel? It is a timeshare company.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:49 pm

Real Time Rewards, is non-US Possible? LATAM Argentina

In the T&C for Real Time Rewards, I see it says, "Real-Time Rewards text messages are available only for transactions with U.S. merchants." Do they generally hold to that? I'm interested in using my card to buy airline tickets through LATAM's Argentina Website. If I buy through there, the ticket is only $99, vs. $164 through the USBank/flexperks travel site (and most every other US travel agency). So I'd be really happy if I could pay the $99 and then be able to pay with points via RTR. But obviously it is bad if I can't redeem it at all.
Does USBank ever let people call in after the fact and say, "I didn't get a RTR text, but I'd like to redeem against this purchase."?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by physics
In the T&C for Real Time Rewards, I see it says, "Real-Time Rewards text messages are available only for transactions with U.S. merchants." Do they generally hold to that? I'm interested in using my card to buy airline tickets through LATAM's Argentina Website. If I buy through there, the ticket is only $99, vs. $164 through the USBank/flexperks travel site (and most every other US travel agency). So I'd be really happy if I could pay the $99 and then be able to pay with points via RTR. But obviously it is bad if I can't redeem it at all.
Does USBank ever let people call in after the fact and say, "I didn't get a RTR text, but I'd like to redeem against this purchase."?

the consensus on MyFico is that charges originating in another country will not be counted as they aren’t US merchants.

Ive seen reports of buying plane tickets for foreign carriers but purchased through the US version of the website AND departing from a US city have gotten credited as the merchants account are located within the USA.

This is of course is a YMMV situation. There’s reimbursement report if you search google for Altitude Reserve real time rewards.

Doubtful USB will help you if RTR doesn’t work as the reps lack knowledge amount how the program even operates.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:47 am

Any data points on people just passing the one year mark, getting the $325 travel credit for year 2 and then cancelling immediately and getting AF refunded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.