Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by signanandup
I hear horror stories of account shutdown for buying GCs, but frequentmiler link states buying airline GCs a breeze. What am I missing ?
I believe the GC shutdowns were related to people using a mobile wallet at a store (grocery/drug stores) to trigger the 3% earnings and meet the minimum spend through the purchase of GCs. I don't believe there's an issue with buying a GC from an airline.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
I read through all 40 pages but could not find an answer to the following. Can I use their portal to book hotels, rental cars and tours a la chase portal with points for amount below the threshold for real time rewards ? I know real time rewards has a minimum lodging limit of $500 for hotels is it the same for travel portal, what about rental cars ? I was just approved yesterday so I can't confirm this by looking through the travel portal myself.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I believe so, but you must have enough points to cover the full cost of your travel purchase from the portal, i.e. no cash + points a la Chase portal allowed.

Originally Posted by rtgta
I read through all 40 pages but could not find an answer to the following. Can I use their portal to book hotels, rental cars and tours a la chase portal with points for amount below the threshold for real time rewards ? I know real time rewards has a minimum lodging limit of $500 for hotels is it the same for travel portal, what about rental cars ? I was just approved yesterday so I can't confirm this by looking through the travel portal myself.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by progapanda
I believe so, but you must have enough points to cover the full cost of your travel purchase from the portal, i.e. no cash + points a la Chase portal allowed.
Thanks and what about tours, rental cars and such, do they have those on the portal? Is there a minimum point redemption limit on portal, as in if I find a rental car for lets sat $10, I should be able to book that through the portal just using points, right ?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Originally Posted by rtgta
Thanks and what about tours, rental cars and such, do they have those on the portal? Is there a minimum point redemption limit on portal, as in if I find a rental car for lets sat $10, I should be able to book that through the portal just using points, right ?
Yes on hotels and cars. I don't believe tours are available. There's no minimum point redemption threshold as I can see backpacker hostels in BKK at <10$ a night available for redemption.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am an existing cutstomer and have been charged the renewal annual fee a few days ago on my current statement.

Does this mean that my annual travel credit is now available to use?

Do we also have any DP's of any reduction in annual fee for calling to cancel?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by navatwal
I am an existing cutstomer and have been charged the renewal annual fee a few days ago on my current statement.

Does this mean that my annual travel credit is now available to use?

Do we also have any DP's of any reduction in annual fee for calling to cancel?
Yes and yes.

You won't get a reduced annual fees but most likely a retention offer of 10k - 15k points. YMMV
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Now that the renewal annual fee has been charged am I good to use my next years travel credit?

Does it cover any travel charge? For example IHG AMbassador Renewal Fee of $150
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
US Bank Bonus Datapoints
  • Opened checking/savings accounts for the $200 bonus, credited as $50/mo for using debit card for $50+ transactions. Need $1000 DD to waive the $7 fee each mo.
  • Schwab Brokerage push worked for fee waiver 1st mo
  • Vanguard Brokerage push worked for fee waiver 2nd mo.
  • $50 Credits are coming about 10 days after qualifying debit spend.
Also approved for the US Bank Alt. Reserve card
  • US Silver Checking / Savings package opened 40+ days ago
  • 1/6, 3/24 prior to applying
  • 810-840 credit scores depending on which bureau
  • Applied in branch, instant approval for 25k
  • Branch Asst. mgr said she's observed USB denying applicants with sub 730 scores, says does not usually have instant approvals, and are only getting 1-2 physical applications every 2 weeks. Says people who look over the brochure don't like annual fee, so a tough sell for her
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by navatwal
Now that the renewal annual fee has been charged am I good to use my next years travel credit?

Does it cover any travel charge? For example IHG AMbassador Renewal Fee of $150
  1. $325 Annual Travel Credit:
    Automatic statement credit(s) totaling up to $325 will be applied to your Account when a Card is used for purchases made directly from airlines, hotels, car rental companies, taxis, limousines, passenger trains and cruise lines. Credit(s) apply to eligible Net Purchases that post to your Account on a Cardmember-year basis (based on Account opening date). Only one total credit amount of up to $325 per Cardmember year per Account, regardless of which Card(s) was/were used for the transaction(s). If eligible purchase is greater than $325, credit will be limited to $325. Net Purchases during each billing cycle will be calculated for transactions that a merchant classifies as travel (such as purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies) and a corresponding statement credit will be applied to your Account the next time it cycles. “Net Purchases” for a statement period are determined by totaling all applicable new purchases charged to the Account during the billing cycle, then subtracting credits posted to the Account during the billing cycle for returned purchases and/or adjustments. Credit does not apply for transactions posting as Convenience Checks, Balance Transfers, or Advances (including, but not limited to, wire transfers, traveler’s checks, money orders, foreign cash transactions, and ATM disbursements). U.S. Bank cannot control how merchants choose to classify their business or transactions and reserves the right to determine which purchases are eligible. We reserve the right to adjust or reverse any portion or all of any travel credit for unauthorized purchases or transaction credits.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:55 am

Suggestions -

All,

I want to know of ways to redeem my points, I don't have any travel planned, I hear that redeeming for cash is not worth, the best option is to use on Travel, Hotel.

Say if I book a refundable hotel say for June 2019 on expedia and redeem my points using the real time rewards. Say in Feb 2019 I cancel the hotel reservation. What happens now do I get a credit back on my card for the points spent?.

Any other pointers to consume the points as quickly as possible just want to play it safe, since I hear stories about clawback of points even though mine is all organic spend but just makes me worried.

Thank you.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I am considering applying for this card since I have been a long time US Bank customer and some upcoming travel that I need to pay cash for (as against using miles/points) and can hopefully leverage the 50K sign on bonus after the $4,500 spend (which I can easily fulfill since I have my annual insurance premiums coming up)

Couple of questions for which I couldn't find answers at their website.
1. Is the Rental Car Insurance offered primary (as with the CSP/CSR)? Any experiences actually filing a claim?
2. What about the trip delay / trip cancellation / etc coverage?
3. How about some of the purchase insurances? Purchase Protection, Extended Warranty, Return Protection, Price Comparison?
4. Finally, any issues getting approved if I recently changed my address with US Bank? Is there a minimum amount of time I need to wait since changing my address? Would going into a branch work better?

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
I would read the benefit handbook, which is likely available online, or give them a call if you have specific questions.

Datapoints on all that would be best though, so you might prowl around rchurning or docofcredit to see if there are any anecdotes on the cases you are interested in.

You probably should calibrate that with the understanding that most of the time - if people are posting/ranting about something - it went wrong.

People are not so quick to post about the times things went ok.

=========

Separately I know there has been some discussion of how fraud sensitive USB is.

So far, I have not had any issues of using the USB AR in the first couple of weeks for a variety of normal, non MS, non GC activity.

In general - maybe because I don't have oddball spending habits -- that has not been a systematic issue. Maybe 1 or 2 random events in Europe.

If we travel abroad, I do take the time to notify banks where we'll be though, whether or not that helps.

The card is crazy heavy though, and thick in the wallet's sleeve.

I've called in a few times, and always gotten a well spoken native English speaker, rather quickly as well.

It's not the long phone tree game that low value customers get at Citi.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Cash + points is available now..I received an email from US Bank:

Redeem Points+Cash for travel.
Now Altitude Reserve Cardmembers can redeem Points+Cash for travel redemptions at the Rewards Center. Use any combination of points and cash to redeem for flights, hotels, car rentals and more.4 Learn more at usbankaltitude.com.
progapanda likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I am considering applying for this card since I have been a long time US Bank customer and some upcoming travel that I need to pay cash for (as against using miles/points) and can hopefully leverage the 50K sign on bonus after the $4,500 spend (which I can easily fulfill since I have my annual insurance premiums coming up)

Couple of questions for which I couldn't find answers at their website.
1. Is the Rental Car Insurance offered primary (as with the CSP/CSR)? Any experiences actually filing a claim?
2. What about the trip delay / trip cancellation / etc coverage?
3. How about some of the purchase insurances? Purchase Protection, Extended Warranty, Return Protection, Price Comparison?
4. Finally, any issues getting approved if I recently changed my address with US Bank? Is there a minimum amount of time I need to wait since changing my address? Would going into a branch work better?

Thanks!
I filed a claim for a rental car damage (non-driving) and it was paid and sorted within 1-2 months. Seems to go through the same company all VISA cards use. No issues, besides a few calls to follow-up with the claim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.