Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Well, the hoopla for this card certainly disappeared quickly. It doesn't appear to be particularly competitive in its intended category...or is it just me that thinks that?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Well, the hoopla for this card certainly disappeared quickly. It doesn't appear to be particularly competitive in its intended category...or is it just me that thinks that?
What kind of ongoing hoopla were you expecting? This same kind of comment has come up several times. It was a new premium card. It effectively earns 3% at a large proportion of storefronts. People expecting simple MS at 3% were swiftly met with the wrath of usbank. Couple that with some difficulty in getting approved, and here we are. What else is there to talk about? No one has had the card even 2 months. I'm about to hit min spend. As an everyday card it has some standing. It's effectively 3% cash back with mobile pay. I never used android pay before, and now I use it everywhere it's available.

Is it a keeper after the first year? Doubt it. With Q3 5% categories and a new amex BBP coming in the mail, my AR likely won't see much action, but it will be sitting in my android wallet, at the ready
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
That's one nice thing about Samsung Pay (besides MST support): its rewards program seems pretty decent. I'm not sure if Apple can have such a program, though, due to their focus on privacy.
Would have to say it's less about privacy and more about pinching pennies. Apple failed at the NFC game and was owned by Samsung yet again.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Would have to say it's less about privacy and more about pinching pennies. Apple failed at the NFC game and was owned by Samsung yet again.
Not even close to reality.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
None of the services are doing all that well in the US, frankly, hence the need for promotion offers from the banks/providers and the 3x on the Reserve card.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by pdxer
Not even close to reality.
Samsung Pay works almost everywhere, and this is much more places than Apple Pay. I pay with Samsung Pay exclusively now, and I see a lot of "wows" in the places where nobody paid with a watch before. Everybody thinks that's Apple Pay, though. People don't know that Samsung or Android Pay even exist. AR with Samsung Pay is basically 4.5% everywhere card.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
Samsung Pay works almost everywhere, and this is much more places than Apple Pay. I pay with Samsung Pay exclusively now, and I see a lot of "wows" in the places where nobody paid with a watch before. Everybody thinks that's Apple Pay, though. People don't know that Samsung or Android Pay even exist. AR with Samsung Pay is basically 4.5% everywhere card.
Samsung didn't create Samsung Pay. They bought a company called Loop Pay, which spoofs the magstripe reader. It may work in a lot of places, but it's not secure.

Researcher Finds Second Security Flaw In Samsung Pay

To your second point, the fact that people assume it's Apple Pay and don't know that Android Pay and Samsung Pay exist means that Apple doesn't need to do anything.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To your second point, the fact that people assume it's Apple Pay and don't know that Android Pay and Samsung Pay exist means that Apple doesn't need to do anything.
It's one thing for people to know what any of the mobile wallet services are. It's another entirely to get people to actually use and demand them, which is going to be necessary to get some stores to bother to enable the functionality on their terminals (or include them as a method of payment in their mobile app or website).

In any case, this discussion may be better suited for this thread.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Samsung didn't create Samsung Pay. They bought a company called Loop Pay, which spoofs the magstripe reader. It may work in a lot of places, but it's not secure.

Samsung Pay is as secure as AP, it also uses tokens and virtual card numbers. In order for AP be supported, you need NFC, and Samsung Pay doesn't need anything. Yes, Samsung bought a company, and Apple bought nothing, and they just use NFC, so Samsung was smarter than Apple.
And even if it's not secure I don't care that much, because the bank will refund any fradulent charges.

Last edited by yugi; Jun 24, 2017 at 2:59 pm
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
Samsung Pay is as secure as AP, it also uses tokens and virtual card numbers. In order for AP be supported, you need NFC, and Samsung Pay doesn't need anything. Yes, Samsung bought a company, and Apple bought nothing, and they just use NFC, so Samsung was smarter than Apple.
And even if it's not secure I don't care that much, because the bank will refund any fradulent charges.
Samsung Pay is the least secure of the three (see here) and Apple didn't need to buy anything to play in that space.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
None of the services are doing all that well in the US, frankly, hence the need for promotion offers from the banks/providers and the 3x on the Reserve card.
Better to have a virtual form of MSD built into the phone for the time being until lazy Americans can embrace NFC, while our cheap merchants upgrade as slow as molasses in January.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:51 pm

1. Apple didn't create many of it's products, but they certainly market them as so. Apple didn't even create the idea of NFC payments, Google had it long before Apple put the technology in their phones.

2. Your phone is still given a separate card number in Samsung Pay, so it works just like Apple Pay.

3. The fact that people assume it's Apple Pay is due to the way Apple Products are loved by Americans even though they make inferior technology. Americans are lazy and will cling to whatever used to be the best and most popular method without researching the truth.

I think I would love this card but don't think I would be approved for it, and I'm not about to go out and open a U.S Bank checking account either.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better to have a virtual form of MSD built into the phone for the time being until lazy Americans can embrace NFC, while our cheap merchants upgrade as slow as molasses in January.
My original point is that people apparently don't feel the need to pay with their phones, regardless of how the phone does it. Apple licensing the MST tech from Samsung probably isn't going to help, but making paying with a phone rewarding might. It's like how ISIS/Softcard was giving out tons of offers up to the end.

1. Apple didn't create many of it's products, but they certainly market them as so. Apple didn't even create the idea of NFC payments, Google had it long before Apple put the technology in their phones.

2. Your phone is still given a separate card number in Samsung Pay, so it works just like Apple Pay.

3. The fact that people assume it's Apple Pay is due to the way Apple Products are loved by Americans even though they make inferior technology. Americans are lazy and will cling to whatever used to be the best and most popular method without researching the truth.

I think I would love this card but don't think I would be approved for it, and I'm not about to go out and open a U.S Bank checking account either.
Google's implementation never worked that well. International use was blocked entirely, for instance--not to mention that because Google was the one ultimately charging your card, people potentially lost out on a lot of credit card rewards.

Also, Apple's products do work well for some. I personally use an iPhone because I was never happy with Android's power management and didn't want to spend tons of time rooting and experimenting to get that close to right. I wouldn't really call it "inferior" but maybe some have different priorities.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:41 pm

Also, Apple's products do work well for some. I personally use an iPhone because I was never happy with Android's power management and didn't want to spend tons of time rooting and experimenting to get that close to right. I wouldn't really call it "inferior" but maybe some have different priorities.
I guess if you count big fat bezels, no MST, no 3.5mm jack, and LCD screens as technology that isn't inferior, you're right.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:46 pm

Google Pay was not the same as Apple Pay/Android Pay and failed for several reasons. What matters is doing the best job, not being first. But if you want to argue who was first, Apple was first to offer paying with a watch. Android Wear just added paying with a watch last year, and most Android Wear watches don't support it at all.

And Apple does create its own products, right down to the processors in their mobile devices.
A separate account number doesn't make something secure. So far, not one but two security flaws have been found in Samsung Pay, compared to none in Apple Pay.

The main reason Apple Pay is more secure is because iOS devices have a secure enclave and nearly all Android devices do not.

In fact, some Android devices store fingerprint images in the clear.
Nonsense. People assume it's Apple Pay because Apple Pay is more widely used than Android Pay. Samsung Pay works at more locations but that doesn't mean it's used more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.