Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by yugi
Samsung Pay will not work on iphone, Apple disables it. It will work on any Android phone if it satisfies memory requirements.

Thanks yugi!
Old May 8, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
Wow. Thank you very much for the DP dctech! I really appreciate it.

I am just curious. Did you have to turn off NFC function to use Samsung pay? A couple of reports show that when a Samsung phone is near CVS card reader, it enables NFC, which prevent you from using Samsung pay.
You need to put it near magnetic stripe reader, then it will use it. I tried that at another store, and it worked.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:25 am

You need to put it near magnetic stripe reader, then it will use it. I tried that at another store, and it worked.
fantastic!! I assume you used it at CVS, correct? It seems like CVS has some weird setup for contactless payment.

By the way, does Samsung pay require phone service? On Samsung website, it says that using Samsung pay does not required active internet/phone connection for up to a certain amount (I read somewhere that this is like 10 transactions). If periodical internet access (let's say everyday) is all I need to use Samsung pay, I believe that a cheaper Samsung phone (e.g., used galaxy s6) should do the work.

Last edited by lincoln boy; May 8, 2017 at 11:38 am
Old May 8, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, National EE
Wow. Thank you very much for the DP dctech! I really appreciate it.

I am just curious. Did you have to turn off NFC function to use Samsung pay? A couple of reports show that when a Samsung phone is near CVS card reader, it enables NFC, which prevent you from using Samsung pay.
NFC was still on. Like Yugi said, you need to place the back of the phone right next to/on the mag stripe reader. You hear the "swipe" beep, select credit then show the cashier the last 4 digits from the phone's screen.

This last part is where we tread into YMMV territory as your cashier may balk at typing in digits from a screen if they are not used to mobile payments. Since CVS does not accept Apple Pay or Android Pay NFC payments instead opting for their CVS Pay system, it is quite possible that the vast majority of CVS cashiers have never had to enter the last 4 digits from the phone screen. My guy today was on the younger side, so that probably helped.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
fantastic!! I assume you used it at CVS, correct? It seems like CVS has some weird setup for contactless payment.

By the way, does Samsung pay require phone service? On Samsung website, it says that using Samsung pay does not required active internet/phone connection for up to a certain amount (I read somewhere that this is like 10 transactions). If periodical internet access (let's say everyday) is all I need to use Samsung pay, I believe that a cheaper Samsung phone (e.g., used galaxy s6) should do the work.
Not sure about that. I have internet connection on my phone. I've seen a deal on Note 5 at Walmart for $199 few days ago. But I've got my watch cheaper than that.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:47 am

I am using a FreedomPop sim with the free 200mb for my used S6. Just follow the instructions over on slickdealsDOTcom to make sure that you strip down all of the "premium" services, and you end up with a truly free 200mb/mo.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by dctech
NFC was still on. Like Yugi said, you need to place the back of the phone right next to/on the mag stripe reader. You hear the "swipe" beep, select credit then show the cashier the last 4 digits from the phone's screen.

This last part is where we tread into YMMV territory as your cashier may balk at typing in digits from a screen if they are not used to mobile payments. Since CVS does not accept Apple Pay or Android Pay NFC payments instead opting for their CVS Pay system, it is quite possible that the vast majority of CVS cashiers have never had to enter the last 4 digits from the phone screen. My guy today was on the younger side, so that probably helped.
I was using mobile payment at CVS few years ago with Softcard/ISIS. Yeah, some cashiers were completely in a stupor when I did that. They ask for ID, then I show them my ID, but they can't compare it with a card in the phone, because there is no name there. And then I show them the physical card I just used, but the last 4 digits on the card are different from the ones on the phone. Also I remember being expelled from a Lucky store few years ago, when using mobile payments, they didn't even know that their system supports it, but I figured it out and used it.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:00 pm

I was using mobile payment at CVS few years ago with Softcard/ISIS. Yeah, some cashiers were completely in a stupor when I did that. They ask for ID, then I show them my ID, but they can't compare it with a card in the phone, because there is no name there. And then I show them the physical card I just used, but the last 4 digits on the card are different from the ones on the phone. Also I remember being expelled from a Lucky store few years ago, when using mobile payments, they didn't even know that their system supports it, but I figured it out and used it.
At least Samsung Pay shows both the physical last 4 and the last 4 that the cashier is supposed to type in. I get the feeling that if they are suspicious of the transaction in the first place, trying to get them to follow the Physical Card -> Card on the Screen -> Last 4 the phone says to use might be too much for them, and you'll have to either just walk out or use that OBC in your wallet that still has some annual cap room on it.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by dctech
At least Samsung Pay shows both the physical last 4 and the last 4 that the cashier is supposed to type in. I get the feeling that if they are suspicious of the transaction in the first place, trying to get them to follow the Physical Card -> Card on the Screen -> Last 4 the phone says to use might be too much for them, and you'll have to either just walk out or use that OBC in your wallet that still has some annual cap room on it.
There was no last 4 requirement back then. So if cashier was OK with mobile payment it just worked fine.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:38 pm

Does anybody know Sams club accepts Apple Pay for GC purchases?
Old May 8, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by jeffersun
...why wouldn't you book directly with the airline? Typically it's the lowest fair anyways. Why do you need to use a third party?
Complex itineraries especially for international flights can be difficult to book directly with an airline. The day I received my Altitude Reserve, I tried to book a multi-city trip. The first flight was Air Canada, the second flight was Swiss Air, and the third flight was Air Canada. The Air Canada website wouldn't let me add the middle flight. All the travel sites like Expedia and Travelocity were able to book that itinerary, but I wouldn't get the 3x points then. Luckily, I ended up being able to book it on the Lufthansa website.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by trueblue84
Does anybody know Sams club accepts Apple Pay for GC purchases?
Sam's Club is owned by Walmart, which is heavily anti-Visa/MC. I highly doubt either will ever support Apple Pay or any other NFC based mobile payment solution.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Any DP on time between approval and card delivery? Trying to decide if I should apply today and hope to get card by Saturday when I leave for a trip.
Applied last Wednesday. Was on my doorstep Friday before noon
Old May 9, 2017, 2:16 am

When I found this forum in 2013 I went on card app frenzy (had almost 15 inquiries on Experian at some point) but I've been laying low since the end of 2014. I basically have 4 inquiries on Equifax, 2 on Experian and 2 on TU and none of those are for credit cards. At that time (2013) I got the Club Carlson Visa and have kept it because, even after the devaluation, the free night cert is equivalent to the $75 AF so it's a wash. I applied for this one today and got approved for $35K instantly. Let's see how soon it gets here.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:39 am

Does anyone know how the redemption of points for airticket work for Altitude Reserve?

What portal does it use? Orbitz? Expedia?

Does it follow the same "band" policy as for Flexperks?
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...ravel-rewards/
(as in, having bands like 20,000 = up to $400; 30,000 = up to $600 and so forth)

OR

is it purely $1.50 = 100 points? so you can purchase a cheap airfare of $70 or expensive one like $700 with no opportunity cost?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by gnomey; May 9, 2017 at 2:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.