US Bank Altitude Reserve Card

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 20, 3:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rrgg
Wiki Link
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually in statement credits for eligible travel purchases
  • $400 annual fee
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 4 Priority Pass lounge visits for primary cardholder and 1 guest per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 17, 20, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr View Post
I just wish that the threshold wasn't $500, and it was something more reasonable like $250 like what they have with rental cars.
That rental car threshold is hardly reasonable. I've never rented a car long enough to meet it. Reasonable would be $100 or so. Best would be to drop it of course.
Old Jan 17, 20, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret View Post
I don't think they'll do ban increase. Their card is exclusive to their customers base. Plus this card is a cash back card you can't transfer points to airlines or hotels. It's basically cash back for 1.5-4.5%. Only thing they might do is limit the mobile pay category which I hope they don't.
USB does have a sad history of nerfing their cards. If they do anything negative I'd expect them to drop mobile pay entirely, like CNB did with some of its categories, or else devalue the points either by reducing them to less than 1cpp or reducing the travel multiplier to less than 1.5, or both. I could also see a quarterly or annual limit on mobile pay. We are outliers though, mobile pay may not get as much use across their entire customer base.

Or they could totally surprise me by expanding their travel categories to be like Bank of America's, dropping minimum thresholds for RTR redemption on hotels and rental cars, and adding other appealing cards to their ecosystem that earn AR points. It's nice to dream
Old Jan 17, 20, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by randian View Post
USB does have a sad history of nerfing their cards. If they do anything negative I'd expect them to drop mobile pay entirely, like CNB did with some of its categories, or else devalue the points either by reducing them to less than 1cpp or reducing the travel multiplier to less than 1.5, or both. I could also see a quarterly or annual limit on mobile pay. We are outliers though, mobile pay may not get as much use across their entire customer base.

Or they could totally surprise me by expanding their travel categories to be like Bank of America's, dropping minimum thresholds for RTR redemption on hotels and rental cars, and adding other appealing cards to their ecosystem that earn AR points. It's nice to dream
The minute they nerf the mobile pay category, I will drop this card. The main reason I got this card cause my family uses Apple pay heavily.
Old Jan 18, 20, 10:42 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Yes its their unique approach to the market. I'd drop it too if mobile pay vaporized. I keep thinking that the only reason it can kind of survive is that AR pts aren't exactly growing on trees in other ways. If you MS you get shut down, and there isn't this whole tree to get points from unlike the big 3 bank systems which have lots of ways to earn. So people get some decent return on their normal ongoing organic spend....but that's it.
Old Jan 18, 20, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Honestly, I'm not sure US Bank will nerf the mobile pay category any time soon. They went pretty far in on contactless cards a decade ago--which didn't go so well--so I'm not sure they want to try again. That leaves trying to get people to use Apple Pay and the like instead, which most don't seem inclined to do without some sort of incentive. The alternative is becoming one of the few chip-only issuers, which might cause them to bleed customers if people start using contactless as has been predicted.

Also, the REI credit card just got a mobile wallet bonus category too (IIRC 2% instead of 3%). If they were planning on nerfing it on the Attitude Reserve, I don't think they'd be trying to add it to other cards too.
Old Jan 18, 20, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure US Bank will nerf the mobile pay category any time soon. They went pretty far in on contactless cards a decade ago--which didn't go so well--so I'm not sure they want to try again. That leaves trying to get people to use Apple Pay and the like instead, which most don't seem inclined to do without some sort of incentive. The alternative is becoming one of the few chip-only issuers, which might cause them to bleed customers if people start using contactless as has been predicted.

Also, the REI credit card just got a mobile wallet bonus category too (IIRC 2% instead of 3%). If they were planning on nerfing it on the Attitude Reserve, I don't think they'd be trying to add it to other cards too.
Plus if people start using Apple pay more or other mobile payment providers, it'll probably reduce fraud in cards since mobile payment has a uses virtual numbers.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Plus if people start using Apple pay more or other mobile payment providers, it'll probably reduce fraud in cards since mobile payment has a uses virtual numbers.
In theory just doing chip reduced the biggest in person fraud issue (skimming). Of course, there's still lost/stolen cards and online fraud that AP helps with that regular chip does not.
Old Jan 19, 20, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Couple of quick questions:

Purchases reimbursed by the annual travel credit still count toward MSR, correct?

Also I know you shouldn't buy giftcards with this and it's fairly restricted on Plastiq categories, but are there any other kinds of purchases known that won't count toward MSR?
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:50 am

I'm a heavy spender and I already spent 4500 before my first statement. They are all legit purchases between mobile puchases and chip. Let's hope they don't get spooked.
Old Jan 19, 20, 12:36 pm

Can you transfer us Bank business cards rewards to us Altitude reserve? BofA and Chase both allow combining points between personal and business cards.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:23 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by nall View Post
but are there any other kinds of purchases known that won't count toward MSR?
Flights/hotels booked via OTAs (Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, etc) are not counted as airline/hotel categories and do not earn 3x points. If you want to get 3x point with OTA transactions, make sure that use an app which uses mobile payments.

I'm a heavy spender and I already spent 4500 before my first statement. They are all legit purchases between mobile puchases and chip. Let's hope they don't get spooked.
I put close to 40K since I got the card in May, about 65% of them are mobile payment transactions, about 15% - hotels/airlines and the rest - non 3x transactions, including the payments to state taxes. So far all fine.
trikotret likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:30 pm

Does the AR do something special for the OTAs? I thought most of them pass through the transaction to the underlying merchant so the merchant’s MCC is used.
Old Jan 20, 20, 5:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Does the AR do something special for the OTAs? I thought most of them pass through the transaction to the underlying merchant so the merchant’s MCC is used.
OTA are using different MCC code. Here:

Description
Agoda.com Internet Gb

Merchant category
TRAVEL AGENCIES AND TOUR OPERATORS

vs.

Description
3 Nagas Hotel Luangprabang La

Merchant category
LODGING-HOTELS/MOTEL/RESORTS/CENTRAL RESERVATIONS
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:54 pm

Are purchasing VGCs for meeting the SUB requirement still off limits with this card? I went through a few dozen pages and did not see any recent DPs.
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BONDMI6 View Post
Are purchasing VGCs for meeting the SUB requirement still off limits with this card? I went through a few dozen pages and did not see any recent DPs.
USB Is very shutdown happy for buying giftcards with this card.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: