FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1834823-us-bank-altitude-reserve-card-2017-2023-a.html)

diesteldorf May 1, 2017 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by diesteldorf (Post 28252877)
Has anyone been able to confirm whether or not the annual fee is reduced to $299 if you are one of their WEALTH CUSTOMERS?

It was a rumor that had been posted on one of the other other travel sites.

I called U.S. Bank out or my own curiosity and they confirmed that it will be $400 for everyone, regardless of whether they are a Wealth Client or not.

diesteldorf May 1, 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes (Post 28252193)
It's USBank anyway. It'll be nerfed within a year. 3x on mobile wallet is unsustainable.

I agree with you, but I am curious to see what happens. If they got rid of the Mobile Wallet perk it would drastically impact the usefulness of the card.

It also makes me curious what other banks will do with their premium cards.

I know quite a few people that only use their Chase Freedom cards for the 5% bonus categories and nothing else, yet Chase continues to keep the card going.

Regarding the CSR, if Chase ever reduced the points for Travel or Restaurants, I would think they would also need to reduce the CSP and/or the no-fee Freedom cards.

In the end, Chase and U.S. Bank are different banks with different management strategies.

I'll be curious to see if U.S. will allow transfer partners after their new Altitude Reserve card matures.

gm9928 May 1, 2017 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by dctech (Post 28251348)
Instant approval $33K credit line. Lets see how long this lasts.

$33K!! ?? Wow!!

tmiw May 1, 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes (Post 28252193)
3x on mobile wallet is unsustainable.

Visa Infinite already commands close to (if not exactly) 3% in interchange from at least most merchants. They may need to restrict it to certain categories but I'm not sure they'd need to kill it altogether, especially since a fair number of cardholders will carry a balance as is.

CJS415 May 1, 2017 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo (Post 28252888)
Latest info anyway is that RadPad has both 1) stopped coding as travel and 2) is sending emails to those who use a Visa Infinite saying they'll have to pay a higher fee in following months to cover the extra interchange costs.

That sucks that Radpad changed their merchant code, or Chase quickly realized how much they were paying out. I'll cross my fingers for a few more data points, but that blows.

acarney May 1, 2017 5:01 pm

This probably has already been mentioned, but they may go after manufactured spend people harder too. There's nothing that would stop them from implementing an algorithm to compare the running average cash equivalent purchases and comparing against the highest x%. If their customer base on average buys two gift cards $200 or under a month and a handful of people buy ten at $500 or more then they could target very easy those people and put some pressure on them, or kick them totally. They already went as far as to mention there are rules and restrictions against earning points on cash equivalents when TPG had a FAQ with them about this card...

Now onto the card, the perks are kinda "meh". It might be a good pick instead of CSR but if you already hold the CSR it's probably not worth it picking up this one, unless you're going just for the bonus points and then ditching. Amex probably won't have too much long term issue with this card since Amex offers Delta/Amex lounge access and hotel status. If this card was able to offer a Gold status at SPG or Hilton or something and some kind of better then PP Select lounge access (which this actually is LESS then PP select) I might consider this compared to Amex. Especially if the travel credit is like Chase and works on tickets without games. That said, the Black car service might be useful if you're booking the car a lot on your own, but if work is picking it up for you, I can't see this being a great perk. I'm curious how good GroundLink Black Car service is. They seem pretty decent on price (I think about $75 to $85 for a "premium" [but not Merc] from SeaTac to downtown Seattle, which at times can be a bit of a hike). If they're professional with well maintained cars I may actually use them from time to time even NOT being a US Bank card holder :P

acarney May 1, 2017 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 28253572)
Visa Infinite already commands close to (if not exactly) 3% in interchange from at least most merchants. They may need to restrict it to certain categories but I'm not sure they'd need to kill it altogether, especially since a fair number of cardholders will carry a balance as is.

I wonder if the MobileWallet purchases are lower cost then a card swipe or chip... they certainly are sold as being super secure, even more so compared to chips so maybe there is less of a liability on them and thus lower fees. Or maybe the data they can mine is richer and thus worth more for marketing so they can value those transactions a little more...

BHArt May 1, 2017 5:43 pm

Giving this a shot, instant approval for $32k. Have a small balance checking account, Flex Perks and the no AF Carlson card. I'm wondering about that $19 value suggested by TPG, current Flex Perks gogo passes are single flight only.

tmiw May 1, 2017 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 28254063)
I wonder if the MobileWallet purchases are lower cost then a card swipe or chip... they certainly are sold as being super secure, even more so compared to chips so maybe there is less of a liability on them and thus lower fees. Or maybe the data they can mine is richer and thus worth more for marketing so they can value those transactions a little more...

Fortunately (or unfortunately) there's no difference in what the store pays between the various methods--for now, anyway.

dctech May 1, 2017 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by gm9928 (Post 28253518)
$33K!! ?? Wow!!

Yeah. That is a record for me on an initial credit line. Previous was $20K for the USAA unlimited.

For a DP I have a personal checking with $0.01 in it for the last 3 years, Cash+, Club Carlson personal & business cards. Also, I'm pretty sure I froze my secondary credit reports (ARS & Sagestream) back when I got the Club Carlson products a couple years ago and I've never had a reason to unfreeze them.

OneHourPhoto May 2, 2017 2:36 am

Originally Posted by dukewake (Post 28251204)
I got a similar result, but just called recon. The rep said that the system didn't pick up my existing card (Club Carlson) for some reason, so she'd re-submit it for me and I'll have a decision in 1-2 business days.

Got the same (have the FlexPersk Visa Siganture for several years)

What is the recon phone number?

Does this result in a hard pull or soft pull?

Stgermainparis May 2, 2017 7:39 am

Flexperks cardholder here. Anyone think it makes more sense to do a phone app? Will that help with the problem of them not recognizing existing customers? Or just more of a pain?

Stgermainparis May 2, 2017 7:40 am

Originally Posted by dctech (Post 28251348)
Instant approval $33K credit line. Lets see how long this lasts.

Were you logged in to usbank cc account? If so, how? I keep trying but it cycles out by the time I get to app page.

PLin May 2, 2017 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Need (Post 28231632)
I found it strange one of the Q/A said Expedia is not "Travel". I thought Expedia is coded as "Travel" so they just exclude all the travel booking sites?

They exclude all travel agencies, which is annoying. However, the last few times I've booked airfare using a travel website, the charges on the credit card were still processed by the airline directly. Can anyone else who uses travel websites confirm this behavior?

dctech May 2, 2017 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 28256262)
Were you logged in to usbank cc account? If so, how? I keep trying but it cycles out by the time I get to app page.

Nope just

usbank dot com -> Credit Cards & Prepaid Cards -> Credit Cards

and it is at the top of the list. After hitting submit on the application the approval screen pulled up in like 5 seconds. I didn't even know they can do a credit pull that fast.