Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by vincewy
So would the person have better chance getting approved at branch than applying online?
I think the bankers are compensated to push the cards, so if there's any issue in the application, an incentivized banker can gently nudge it to the right outcome.

Online, you're just a something a computer can auto reject.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
DP regarding 50k bonus posting: I met the min spend just after the first statement closed. 50k bonus didn't post until payment due date for the second statement passed (~40 days after I met the min spend).
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
When the Altitude first came out, I opened a savings account, and then applied and approved and spent and got max value from the card, including the 2x travel credit harvest and fee refund.

I then closed the card, and like an idiot closed the savings account.

Several months ago I reopened an account, and then applied, was rejected, reconsidered, rejected. Was told to reapply in future, but couldn't tell me when .... inquiry wasted.

Just now applied, rejected, called to close bank account, sent to cc people, reconsidered, rejected, called back, confirmed rejected, closed bank account.

I'm never applying to USB again unless I receive a targeted offer

My inquiries are like LOL/24 though so maybe that's why

Last edited by EmailKid; Jan 16, 2019 at 9:07 am Reason: Back to back posts
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:17 pm

Does CheapTickets.com qualify for real-time rewards in any amount?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Chase UR, Skymiles, HHonors, SPG
Question regarding Real-Time Rewards, which is an awesome way to redeem Altitude points at their 1.5x value ...

I sometimes take Lyft and there will be a pre-authorization charge against the credit card that exceeds the $10 minimum required to trigger the Real-Time Rewards option that arrives via text.

HOWEVER, the eventual charge for my Lyft ride ends up being on $6 or $7, which would not qualify for the RT rewards.

I haven't tried doing the redemption, but I wonder if it would work, even though the eventual charge is lower than what the pre-authorization charge was?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by HeyCrutch
Question regarding Real-Time Rewards, which is an awesome way to redeem Altitude points at their 1.5x value ...

I sometimes take Lyft and there will be a pre-authorization charge against the credit card that exceeds the $10 minimum required to trigger the Real-Time Rewards option that arrives via text.

HOWEVER, the eventual charge for my Lyft ride ends up being on $6 or $7, which would not qualify for the RT rewards.

I haven't tried doing the redemption, but I wonder if it would work, even though the eventual charge is lower than what the pre-authorization charge was?
Yes, it will work. Sometimes i seem to redeem for the authorization rather than the final charge that includes tip, but it's directly redeeming @ 1.5cpp.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by HeyCrutch

Yes that works. You can even clean out residual AR pts that way, by cancelling the Uber ride within the free cancel interval window, after you get the redemption text. Just don't do that too much or Uber will kick you off the platform.

With the changes to the CSR travel portal in the last year, I think AR is much better than CSR for the domestic, non F/J long haul traveler. One cool thing about RTR - they earn 3x too!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Chase UR, Skymiles, HHonors, SPG
Thanks for the replies. I figured I could do it simply bc the RTR Text has been received, but I was concerned about a trail of clawbacks.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:27 am

Like everything, avoid major abuses / eyeballs on accounts, and you'll likely be ok.

I can't imagine that their first priority is tracking down $15 uber reward/redemptions that were cancelled, vs. genuine scam/fraudulent usage.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:20 pm

For the real-time rewards. If I don't have enough points to cover the entire airfare, will it give me the option to redeem with points what is available?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by charlesonmission
For the real-time rewards. If I don't have enough points to cover the entire airfare, will it give me the option to redeem with points what is available?

no it won’t.

You can do points + cash redemptions through the portal though.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:22 pm

I'm having some trouble using my remaining 20K points. I don't have enough for the minimum for hotels, and I don't do $250 car rentals. I can only Uber so much (besides, I can get discounted Uber GC). Other than using the USB portal or short domestic flights, I find this fairly restrictive.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

no it won’t.

You can do points + cash redemptions through the portal though.
There seemed to be mixed messages about the following. If I have 20Ks, can I do a purchase of $300 and use the real-time rewards. Or do I need to actually have 30K point to use real-time rewards for a $300 purcahse - and then US Bank just takes the 20,K points.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by charlesonmission
There seemed to be mixed messages about the following. If I have 20Ks, can I do a purchase of $300 and use the real-time rewards. Or do I need to actually have 30K point to use real-time rewards for a $300 purcahse - and then US Bank just takes the 20,K points.
I recently bought AA giftcards ($1390) as I didn’t have enough points for my entire flight. This allowed me to do a workaround for a “partial” redemption using RTR.

it worked on AA giftcards. It calculated the points at 1.5C a piece to trigger the transaction. I was left with 5 points.

so calculate the whole dollar amount and divide by .015 and that should get you the cost in points needs to trigger RTR
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm having some trouble using my remaining 20K points. I don't have enough for the minimum for hotels, and I don't do $250 car rentals. I can only Uber so much (besides, I can get discounted Uber GC). Other than using the USB portal or short domestic flights, I find this fairly restrictive.
You could book a cancellable airfare for the amount you want.

If you were doing this a lot it could end up getting eyeballs on your account.

But you likely would get away with it if it was occasional/rare/once.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.