US Bank Altitude Reserve Card

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 20, 3:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rrgg
Wiki Link
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually in statement credits for eligible travel purchases
  • $400 annual fee
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 4 Priority Pass lounge visits for primary cardholder and 1 guest per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 6, 18, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by billybobson1402 View Post
I filed a claim for a rental car damage (non-driving) and it was paid and sorted within 1-2 months. Seems to go through the same company all VISA cards use. No issues, besides a few calls to follow-up with the claim
Was this for an incident within the US? If yes, then would that imply that coverage is PRIMARY (similar to the Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve)?
Old Nov 6, 18, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Was this for an incident within the US? If yes, then would that imply that coverage is PRIMARY (similar to the Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve)?
I am an Altitude Reserve cardholder, and can confirm that the rental-car coverage is primary. See also:

U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Review - Dr. Credit Card
Old Nov 17, 18, 5:36 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
For those who are considering putting this card on a Samsung Pay device, Costco just cut price on the Samsung Gear Frontier S3 watch - $180.

That's the lowest price nationally. It's MST capable.

We're only running USB AR on Apple Watch and Google Pay so far, and am pondering adding this, since it would make it even more flexible.
Old Nov 17, 18, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by akr1970akr View Post
For those who are considering putting this card on a Samsung Pay device, Costco just cut price on the Samsung Gear Frontier S3 watch - $180.

That's the lowest price nationally. It's MST capable.

We're only running USB AR on Apple Watch and Google Pay so far, and am pondering adding this, since it would make it even more flexible.
I currently have the Gear S3 (although I don't have an Altitude Reserve card) and I don't use it for payment as much as I thought mainly because a) it almost never worked at places with "smaller" terminals/PIN pads that had NFC enabled (since they get confused seeing both the NFC and MST signals), b) Samsung Rewards has been heavily nerfed and c) simply more interaction required compared to having a finger on my phone's fingerprint reader.

However, that may be just where I live and if you happen to live in an area where NFC acceptance is still poor, you might not run into a lot of issues. Not to mention that US Bank's more flexible rewards (compared to Samsung's) would likely provide enough motivation to at least attempt to use it.
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:05 pm

Trip Delay Insurance--SUCCESS

Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
I am considering applying for this card since I have been a long time US Bank customer and some upcoming travel that I need to pay cash for (as against using miles/points) and can hopefully leverage the 50K sign on bonus after the $4,500 spend (which I can easily fulfill since I have my annual insurance premiums coming up)

Couple of questions for which I couldn't find answers at their website.
1. Is the Rental Car Insurance offered primary (as with the CSP/CSR)? Any experiences actually filing a claim?
2. What about the trip delay / trip cancellation / etc coverage?
3. How about some of the purchase insurances? Purchase Protection, Extended Warranty, Return Protection, Price Comparison?
4. Finally, any issues getting approved if I recently changed my address with US Bank? Is there a minimum amount of time I need to wait since changing my address? Would going into a branch work better?

Thanks!
I recently filed for the Trip Delay insurance. I'll have to note that when I called US Bank it took them almost 30 minutes to even be able to acknowledge it was a benefit of the card, because it's not offered by US Bank, but by Visa. The first time I called them (from the airport amidst the pandemonium of a missed connection) they flat out denied having the coverage. It wasn't until I found reference to it online that I pressed harder.

I filed for $400+ of reimbursement and it was paid within about a week of submitting the claim. They ask for a lot of documentation including receipts, CC statements, written letters, etc. but it was relatively painless. I also got refunded by the airline for the leg of the flight that we never ended up taking (we drove home instead).

Overall it was a resounding success!
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:33 pm

I did a purchase yesterday and the Real Time Rewards text never came. Anyone else having trouble with it?
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by compddd View Post
I did a purchase yesterday and the Real Time Rewards text never came. Anyone else having trouble with it?
What was your purchase for? Did it meet the minimums? I know that travel and some other categories have dollar value minimums that need to be met before they are eligible for real time rewards.
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
I haven't had an issue, but here are some reasons why you might not have received a text.

1) You don't have enough points. (I've heard from a relative that you need enough points for 1 to 1 redemption to trigger RTR even though you may be redeeming at a rate of 1.5, but I can't confirm that).
2) You didn't hit the minimum spend requirement (can be configured to certain thresholds) "Minimum purchase amount for Lodging is pre-set at $500.00. Minimum purchase amount for Car Rental is pre-set at $250.00." You can configure other categories down to a minimum of $10.
3) Spend category incorrect or isn't selected for RTR
4) Make sure you have opted in to RTR
Old Nov 28, 18, 1:40 pm

I've done RTR multiple times in the past, you only need enough points to trigger for 1.5, and it was a Southwest ticket, I have my minimum set to $10 and the category airline selected. For some reason it just didn't come through as a text. I have 6400 points and did a ticket for $87, it should have triggered.
Old Nov 28, 18, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by moamick View Post
I recently filed for the Trip Delay insurance. I'll have to note that when I called US Bank it took them almost 30 minutes to even be able to acknowledge it was a benefit of the card, because it's not offered by US Bank, but by Visa. The first time I called them (from the airport amidst the pandemonium of a missed connection) they flat out denied having the coverage. It wasn't until I found reference to it online that I pressed harder.

I filed for $400+ of reimbursement and it was paid within about a week of submitting the claim. They ask for a lot of documentation including receipts, CC statements, written letters, etc. but it was relatively painless. I also got refunded by the airline for the leg of the flight that we never ended up taking (we drove home instead).

Overall it was a resounding success!
Did you deal with Virginia Surety or was it some other insurance provider?
Old Nov 28, 18, 2:43 pm

I'm still waiting on a very simple travel credit to post from an 11/21 hotel purchase.

Datapoints suggest these should trigger very quickly - within 1-2 days - so I'm expecting I will have to call in.

Could you have been out of text/SMS zone at the instant it was sent?
Old Nov 28, 18, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by akr1970akr View Post
I'm still waiting on a very simple travel credit to post from an 11/21 hotel purchase.

Datapoints suggest these should trigger very quickly - within 1-2 days - so I'm expecting I will have to call in.

Could you have been out of text/SMS zone at the instant it was sent?
​​​​​​Has the hotel charge actually posted to your account yet?
Old Nov 29, 18, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
​​​​​​Has the hotel charge actually posted to your account yet?
Weirdly enough, the credit posted this morning. So all good. Maybe Thanksgiving caused processing delays?
Old Nov 29, 18, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I now have the card and quickly put my annual homeowners and auto insurance on it to meet my minimum spend. The statement closed last week with the $400 annual fee added to it. When I check the number of points, it seems like its just the 1 pt/$ for the spend. I don't see the 50,000 bonus. How long before that bonus posts? I have some travel to book and was hoping to redeem that bonus to get $750 worth.
Old Dec 10, 18, 4:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
if you do a refundable southwest airline ticket and the ticket got refunded does the credit pretty much stay on account. Also, how does us bank normally send out fraud alerts, do they call or text?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: