Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Mod hat on-

This thread has morphed WAY off topic. We need to get back to the topic of the thread title. I'm going to close the thread for a bit and give everyone a chance to take a deep breath and remember the topic of the thread- The Altitude Reserve Card.

Future off topic posts will be deleted.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Mod hat off-
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by yugi
Not sure how Visa/MC/Paypal checkout can affect Samsung/Android/Apple Pay at all. You need either NFC or MST (which Samsung owns, and the rest use NFC).
Apple Pay can be used for in-store transactions or to pay in Safari or in apps. I actually find it to be much more helpful in Safari/apps than in stores because swiping your card in the store just isn't that hard. The Safari feature is recent, however, so it isn't yet as widely supported as Visa Checkout. I have at least one specific site in mind that one could legitimately make very large payments through using Visa Checkout.

A bunch of the mobile wallets have announced upcoming Visa Checkout support over the past year. So the question is, when this finally happens, if you were to pay on a website via Visa Checkout using an AR card added to Android Pay, would it code as a mobile wallet payment? See where I'm going with this?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by milypan
Apple Pay can be used for in-store transactions or to pay in Safari or in apps. I actually find it to be much more helpful in Safari/apps than in stores because swiping your card in the store just isn't that hard. The Safari feature is recent, however, so it isn't yet as widely supported as Visa Checkout. I have at least one specific site in mind that one could legitimately make very large payments through using Visa Checkout.

A bunch of the mobile wallets have announced upcoming Visa Checkout support over the past year. So the question is, when this finally happens, if you were to pay on a website via Visa Checkout using an AR card added to Android Pay, would it code as a mobile wallet payment? See where I'm going with this?
I don't think so. So far PayPal integrated with Android Pay, but I can't pay with AP on the sites where PayPal is supported. PayPal actually said in the help topic that you will be able to do that. So it's useless for AR right now. You can use Android Pay in many apps right now, but not on a websites yet. How many websites support Apple Pay?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by yugi
I don't think so. So far PayPal integrated with Android Pay, but I can't pay with AP on the sites where PayPal is supported. PayPal actually said in the help topic that you will be able to do that. So it's useless for AR right now. You can use Android Pay in many apps right now, but not on a websites yet. How many websites support Apple Pay?
I don't think there's an exhaustive list. They give some of the higher profile examples here ("Use Apple Pay on these apps and on these websites..); I've personally used it on Groupon and Eat24 among others. It's fantastic from a user-experience standpoint. From a pure earnings perspective it doesn't interest me too much though, because my HH already has an ATT AM card and a CSR card, and probably >95% of our online purchases are either retail (AM) or travel-related (CSR). There are just one or two specific sites that aren't retail/travel where I'd really like to be able to pay with something that earns more than 1x (though 2x on BBP will be a pretty good fallback).

The Apple Pay Safari feature has been out for less than a year, and the Android Pay equivalent doesn't even exist yet. VC started in 2013, so naturally it has more widespread support today, including at one of my specific sites of interest. My read of announcements like this one is that the Android Pay + VC partnership would allow you to pay with Android Pay at any website that uses VC. But the announcement is vague, and they've missed their "early 2017" promise pretty badly now, so it's hard to say what to expect at this point.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.

You don't swipe your card at most places anymore. Now is the time to learn mobile payment since people are learning chip anyways. I think this card is great in the sense that it gives bonus points to encourage learning something new.

I also don't believe internet purchases with Apple or Android Pay will count as mobile wallet purchases; hence, the word mobile in the name. A computer isn't considered a mobile device, not even a laptop,
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: Elite status at local McDonalds, Carwash, and Post Office
I just pulled the trigger and applied for the card today. It's too bad there aren't many data points yet on how transactions code, and yes I know it just came out. I would be very surprised if paying through Apple Pay codes differently whether on a phone, watch, laptop, or desktop computer. My Uber transactions through Apple Pay don't say "Uber - via iPhone" on my CSR.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CJS415
I just pulled the trigger and applied for the card today. It's too bad there aren't many data points yet on how transactions code, and yes I know it just came out. I would be very surprised if paying through Apple Pay codes differently whether on a phone, watch, laptop, or desktop computer. My Uber transactions through Apple Pay don't say "Uber - via iPhone" on my CSR.
Wouldn't the travel transactions code mostly the same as they do with the CSR considering both are Visa? If so, this thread might be helpful.

Also, my experience with other cards and Apple Pay is that they code the same as swiping or inserting. I haven't found any instance yet where that isn't the case.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I also don't believe internet purchases with Apple or Android Pay will count as mobile wallet purchases; hence, the word mobile in the name. A computer isn't considered a mobile device, not even a laptop,
To be clear, when you use Apple Pay in Safari, the transaction is still occurring on the phone (or watch). The computer is basically handing it off to the phone, so it wouldn't work if your phone were in Airplane Mode or if you weren't signed into your iCloud account on both devices.

Anyone with an AR card and an iPhone could easily test whether these transactions earn 3X or 1X in any number of apps or websites that support Apple Pay. Unfortunately I don't have an AR card yet, or else I would.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
Wouldn't the travel transactions code mostly the same as they do with the CSR considering both are Visa? If so, this thread might be helpful.

Also, my experience with other cards and Apple Pay is that they code the same as swiping or inserting. I haven't found any instance yet where that isn't the case.
On Amex I see Sampay prefix in transaction descriptions, but not in Visa cards.
For me everything codes as 3x, since I pay this card with Samsung pay only, I don't even carry the card with me.
I also ditched a lot of other cards from my wallet. No need to carry when you use Samsung Pay.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:23 pm

To be clear, when you use Apple Pay in Safari, the transaction is still occurring on the phone (or watch). The computer is basically handing it off to the phone, so it wouldn't work if your phone were in Airplane Mode or if you weren't signed into your iCloud account on both devices.
Unless the person is using a MacBook with a TouchID sensor/secure element, No phone required.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by pdxer
Unless the person is using a MacBook with a TouchID sensor/secure element, No phone required.
Touché.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.

Anyone with an AR card and an iPhone could easily test whether these transactions earn 3X or 1X in any number of apps or websites that support Apple Pay. Unfortunately I don't have an AR card yet, or else I would.
The idea is to use your phone to pay in the store; thus, breaking traditional American habits of swiping and being afraid of contactless for stupid reasons I won't mention here. I really don't think a purchase that begins on a computer, is handed off to a phone, and then completed online will count.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:06 am

is anyone got the open bonus after meet the spending requirement?
npei likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I really don't think a purchase that begins on a computer, is handed off to a phone, and then completed online will count.
The terms on US Bank's website explicitly mention that online and in-app use of mobile wallets counts:

Cardmembers will earn 1 Point for every $1 in qualifying Net Purchases. Cardmembers will earn 2 additional Points for every $1 in qualifying Net Purchases during each billing cycle for transactions made directly with merchants who classify their business as a travel category transaction (such as purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies), and for transactions using a mobile wallet. “Mobile wallet” is defined as the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Pay™, Microsoft Wallet.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:43 am

The idea is to use your phone to pay in the store; thus, breaking traditional American habits of swiping and being afraid of contactless for stupid reasons I won't mention here. I really don't think a purchase that begins on a computer, is handed off to a phone, and then completed online will count.
What tmiw said.

The length of this discussion is getting a little silly given how easy it should be for us to verify. Does nobody on this thread own an iPhone? Just go mobile order a coffee using Apple Pay in the Starbucks App and see whether it earns 3X!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.