Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Something better than AMEX HH Surpass for grocery spend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Something better than AMEX HH Surpass for grocery spend?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Need
It is not exactly widely accepted here in California other than in big stores. Try to buy a boba tea with credit card and most stores won't take Amex. The cafeteria at my work, run by Aramark, won't take Amex either. Gas stations and supermarkets will usually take it though.

I use the Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and CSR combo. Total annual fee is $450 - $300 (Travel Credit) - $100 (Global Entry Fee Rebate) = $50.

Minimum Yield:
1.5x (FU) * 1.5x (CSR spend on UR travel) = 2.25%
Maximum Yield:
5x (Freedom) * 1.5x (CSR) = 7.5%
Have you actually tried or do you just rely on the stickers advertised on the front door. I tend to find many don't advertise it on the door, like my PCP doctor's office or my eye doctor.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Have you actually tried or do you just rely on the stickers advertised on the front door. I tend to find many don't advertise it on the door, like my PCP doctor's office or my eye doctor.
For Aramark I am 100% sure they don't take Amex at my work. As for small stores, I usually don't look at the stickers. Asian stores don't like Amex because of their fee and not many people use it anyway. I just did my tax for my own store. My Amex 1099K is about 3% of total credit card 1099K. Since I don't take Discover, 97% of them are Visa/Mastercard.

Oh and one time I went to an Asian restaurant and when I asked for the check, they gave it to me inside an Amex black folder. So I thought.. cool they take Amex. I put my card in, they took it.. came back.. told me they don't take Amex. LOL.

Last edited by Need; Mar 24, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:42 pm

I use Citi Hilton Reserve for 5x on groceries and I forget the x on gas. Those purchases help me meet the $10,000 spend requirement for an annual free weekend night. Last year I used mine at the Waldorf Boca Beach Club, where it saved me around $400. Nobody's mentioned the CHR, do you think this is bad strategy?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Need
For Aramark I am 100% sure they don't take Amex at my work. As for small stores, I usually don't look at the stickers. Asian stores don't like Amex because of their fee and not many people use it anyway. I just did my tax for my own store. My Amex 1099K is about 3% of total credit card 1099K. Since I don't take Discover, 97% of them are Visa/Mastercard.

Oh and one time I went to an Asian restaurant and when I asked for the check, they gave it to me inside an Amex black folder. So I thought.. cool they take Amex. I put my card in, they took it.. came back.. told me they don't take Amex. LOL.
Typical of an an American merchant to have a payment culture in their store that doesn't make sense.

1. Advertise American Express on your store's receipt and card folders.
2. Take the card to the back (if the place doesn't take AMEX, why?)
3. Come back and say they don't take AMEX despite advertising it.
4. The fact that they take your card away in the first place.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In case anyone wants a big list of cards with higher-than-average earnings on grocery spend, Doctor of Credit did an article on it earlier this week:
HH Surpass was indeed on that list.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
This is a hidden annual fee. You are spending $6,500 to earn 0.5% rather than (say) 2% with Citi DoubleCash. That's $97.50 in opportunity cost.
Excellent point
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
In case anyone wants a big list of cards with higher-than-average earnings on grocery spend, Doctor of Credit did an article on it earlier this week:
HH Surpass was indeed on that list.
Why is Amex Hilton Surpass with 6x better than Citi Hilton Reserve 5x + Annual Free Weekend Night, assuming you meet the $10,000 spend? I have been able to use mine on $300-400 hotel rooms. I suppose because there is a no annual fee version of Surpass.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Why is Amex Hilton Surpass with 6x better than Citi Hilton Reserve 5x + Annual Free Weekend Night, assuming you meet the $10,000 spend? I have been able to use mine on $300-400 hotel rooms. I suppose because there is a no annual fee version of Surpass.
This thread is discussing cards in relationship to their value with grocery spend. Your question is about comparing two different HH cards with a whole host of different spending categories and benefits.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
For the OP it sounds like Surpass makes most sense year-round to you. The Chase Freedom at 5% is a good alternative for your first $1500 is grocery spend this upcoming quarter starting April 1.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
This thread is discussing cards in relationship to their value with grocery spend. Your question is about comparing two different HH cards with a whole host of different spending categories and benefits.
My comparison is on the grocery category. Surpass has 6x on groceries, and Reserve has 5x on groceries plus the added benefit of an annual free night certificate if you spend $10,000 on the card.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
My comparison is on the grocery category. Surpass has 6x on groceries, and Reserve has 5x on groceries plus the added benefit of an annual free night certificate if you spend $10,000 on the card.
The Citi Hilton Reserve has 5 times on airline tickets and car rentals and offers a one weekend night cert after spending $10K each year. It has no bonus on groceries. American Express does have another HH Card with no annual fee that give 5 times on groceries.

Last edited by eajusa; Mar 26, 2017 at 6:15 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
CSR is $450 more in the first year than the PRG (annual fee waived the first year), of course that's before subtracting the $200 more in airline credits. The CSR also has a small select group of transfer partners. To compare the CSR to the PRG isn't even fair... Those cards aren't competing against each other.

It's also not realistic to have Prestige/CSR/Amex Plat at the same time, unless you're rich. CSR only covers up to $50 in expenses on roadside, whereas AMEX you won't have to worry about the net cost of the services. But again, the PRG doesn't compete with the CSP or the Prestige.

Some people don't want to carry around 5 different travel cards and like simplicity.
Actually CSR is only $55 more than PRG in the first year, and for all consecutive years after all the airline/travel reimbursements. Prestige gives the best roadside assistance out of all cards, I think, which also includes some towing.
From premium cards I have 2x CSR (gonna downgrade 1), Prestige, 2x CNB Crystal, and now I'm getting an upgrade from BGR to Biz Plat.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm used to getting 50000 miles or such for $3000 spend in 3 months or whatever. Yes, sometimes it requires $5000 spend but sometimes it only requires $1000 or $2000 spend, which is why I think $3000 spend makes a decent average. $10000 of spend is thus about 3 signup bonuses' worth of spend on average. Just one free night certificate thus doesn't seem to me to be worth diverting $10000 of spend from signup bonuses to Reserve.

Of course, if you don't do any credit card signups most years, you may have totally different view of things. But I travel enough that just one free night certificate a year doesn't get me very far, no matter how little or how much work it took to get it.

And it's easy to get free night certificates from other hotel programs for way less. With IHG it requires having a $49/year credit card, no actual spend. WIth Mariott it requires having a $85/year credit card, no actual spend, but in Marriott's case it's capped at category 5, which may not suit some people.

Compared to those, having to spend $10000 on one card (on which I'd never spend that much "naturally") just to earn one more free night certificate doesn't seem a good return on money to me. But again that's just me.

It may be quite different, for example, for someone who uses the card at Hiltons and who spends a lot of money at Hilton properties each year. For them, $10000 spend on that one Hilton card may be very "natural". Also, someone who has tons of business spend each year will look at spend amounts way differently than someone who only has modest amounts of personal expenses each year.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
Actually CSR is only $55 more than PRG in the first year, and for all consecutive years after all the airline/travel reimbursements. Prestige gives the best roadside assistance out of all cards, I think, which also includes some towing.
From premium cards I have 2x CSR (gonna downgrade 1), Prestige, 2x CNB Crystal, and now I'm getting an upgrade from BGR to Biz Plat.
You are a great man. I had no idea Citi covered all roadside services with that card. They should advertise it on their main page for the card.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:23 am

You are a great man. I had no idea Citi covered all roadside services with that card. They should advertise it on their main page for the card.
You may want to take a look at the Citi thread on flyertalk
"Anyone used Citi Prestige roadside assistance"
Look at the last 3 posts- 41,42,43.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.